Astrology 62 29.25%
Numerology 15 7.08%
Tarot 8 3.77%
None. 146 68.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2018, 09:57   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Do you believe in Astrology, Tarot, Numerology?

Something about astrology that has always confused me. Would love to get some clarity on this.

When we say that a certain star or planet influences an individual's life, does it mean that some power it exerts from millions of miles away is able to travel all this way and accurately strike this person?

Or do all of us have some sort of a receiver, which receives signals from all these stars and planets. Then based on their signal strength determine our individual destiny?
Sort of how a GPS receiver works by taking signals from multiple satellites!

Or is there some other thing at work here.
That lets the 7+ billion humans on this really tiny planet get controlled!
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:28   #137
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, because I know the rules of science, I share that common attribute with the scientific community. And you are clearly not ready/willing to understand those rules of science.

Oh, the insults have started, that means you have nothing else to throw at me. Yes, I am very familiar with this stage of the debate. But I am not following you into that rabbit hole. Just like science, this forum also has rules. Don't break them.
Once again you are assuming things. What makes you think that I don't understand the rules of science?
What makes you think that these rules are set in stone?

I apologise if my twist on smell the coffee, was insulting to you. I assure you it was mentioned with much less malicious intent than what was thrown at Astrology. Hard to imagine that sensitivity works both ways?

Cheers
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:30   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
When we say that a certain star or planet influences an individual's life,
You see, position of stars and planets did influence human life over time. All the ancient civilizations looked up at the sky and saw the same sun, moon and stars twinkling in the sky. The position of these celestial objects changed with respect to the position of the earth in various stages of its orbit. Tracking the position of these stars helped these civilizations to predict cylclical seasons which was an important tool. Civilizations around the world also made their own interpretations, giving their own godly names to stars and constellations which became part of their culture. So it is no surprise that we, the descendants of these cultures and civilizations still look up to the stars and try to find a correlation with life down here.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 22nd September 2018 at 10:39.
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:38   #139
Team-BHP Support

You are talking about using stars as a calendar or using them to predict celestial events.

I am asking how does it influence an individual's life?

I assume most common usage for astrology is predicting which date to start a company or get married on. Predicting the success of a marriage based on when the bride and groom were born. Predicting the success of a marriage based on when it's performed.
Predicting the success of the love life of the couple based on when they consummate it.

How does that work?

How do these far away stars determine it for an individual?
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:44   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When we say that a certain star or planet influences an individual's life, does it mean that some power it exerts from millions of miles away is able to travel all this way and accurately strike this person?
That is exactly my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
You see, position of stars and planets did influence human life over time.
How Sir? How does the position of stars and planets influence human life?
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:53   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are talking about using stars as a calendar or using them to predict celestial events.

I am asking how does it influence an individual's life?

I assume most common usage for astrology is predicting which date to start a company or get married on. Predicting the success of a marriage based on when the bride and groom were born. Predicting the success of a marriage based on when it's performed.
Predicting the success of the love life of the couple based on when they consummate it.

How does that work?

I'll let the astrologers answer that . My point was how cultures have looked at stars and made their interpretations which went beyond making calendars and predicting celestial events. Whether one accepts these or not is upto the individual today. I know where I stand on this and have voted accordingly in the poll survey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
How Sir? How does the position of stars and planets influence human life?
If you were a human about 5,000 years ago, the position of stars was the only thing that you could rely on to predict seasons and their cyclical nature. Seasons certainly affected human life, so it was important to study the position of celestial bodies back then.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 22nd September 2018 at 11:00.
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:31   #142
BHPian

At the risk me branded as follower of faith, unscientific ideas etc. let me clarify I have neutral stance on astrology.

Neutral because...

I do have horoscopes done in my family long back which were accurate in predicting certain events right up to the exact age about the events that happened across two generations which correlated accurately. I do have them with me which were written 40 to 60 years back.

But not being able to prove them by "western thought process" "evidences" and "with scientific bent of mind", I desist proving/disproving to the world that astrology is a science. But I still do not understand the logic/science (if one may call it) behind the predictions. X Files syndrome?

1. The moon can influence the tides during new and full moon. I suppose no one needs evidence for this. What prevents a human body with 70% water not getting influenced by the lunar cycle?

Source says:

Quote:
Human and animal physiology are subject to seasonal, lunar, and circadian rhythms. Although the seasonal and circadian rhythms have been fairly well described, little is known about the effects of the lunar cycle on the behavior and physiology of humans and animals. The lunar cycle has an impact on human reproduction, in particular fertility, menstruation, and birth rate. Melatonin levels appear to correlate with the menstrual cycle. Admittance to hospitals and emergency units because of various causes (cardiovascular and acute coronary events, variceal hemorrhage, diarrhea, urinary retention) correlated with moon phases. In addition, other events associated with human behavior, such as traffic accidents, crimes, and suicides, appeared to be influenced by the lunar cycle
2. Another source:

Quote:
The potential acute and chronic health effects of space radiation, as with other ionizing radiation exposures, involve both direct damage to DNA, indirect effects due to generation of reactive oxygen species, and changes to the biochemistry of cells and tissues, which can alter gene transcription and the tissue microenvironment along with producing DNA mutations.
and the research is still going on

Quote:
The quantitative biological effects of cosmic rays are poorly known, and are the subject of ongoing research. Several experiments, both in space and on Earth, are being carried out to evaluate the exact degree of danger. Additionally, the impact of the space microgravity environment on DNA repair has in part confounded the interpretation of some results. Experiments over the last 10 years have shown results both higher and lower than predicted by current quality factors used in radiation protection, indicating large uncertainties exist.
3. and from NASA site:

Quote:
The beauty of science is that nothing is for certain. There are times when scientists think they have something figured out and then nature throws them for a loop. Just such an event happened last fall when the Sun erupted in some massive, record-shattering explosions that hurled billion of tons of electrified gas toward Earth.

Scientists realise that space is dangerous for unprotected satellites and astronauts, but they thought that they had found a small safe zone around Earth's radiation belt - a shelter from these dangerous solar storms. It turns out that when the solar storm is strong enough, even this safe zone can become a major hot zone for dangerous radiation.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 22nd September 2018 at 11:33.
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:38   #143
BANNED

Quote:
How does that work?

I doubt you will find the answer you're looking for.

I can give you an automotive analogy though. Imagine that Astrology is a vehicle and the astrolger is the driver. You are a passenger, the destination is set by you, but getting there depends on the driver knowing the way.

Now, does the driver know how the car works, how well does he know it, and whether he knows how to get to where you need to go, the odds are just like hiring a taxi.

Now, for those who have used the vehicle and have gotten where they need to go, or like to study about the workings of the vehicle, or make an honest livelihood using the vehicle, to hear that such a vehicle does not exist because it doesn't show up in their system as a vehicle, imagine how they feel.

Cheers
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:39   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Once again you are assuming things. What makes you think that I don't understand the rules of science? What makes you think that these rules are set in stone?
This is a classic definition of oxymoron. If you know the rules of science, you would know they are set in stone or unchangeable. Unless you are mistaking rules of science with laws of science, the latter keeps getting revised every few decades.

Quote:
I apologise if my twist on smell the coffee, was insulting to you.
I have been a moderator for long enough. Every time a personal attack is reported, it our job to interpret what it means. Let's not belabor that point. Apology accepted.
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:57   #145
Team-BHP Support

@gthang.

Sorry but that makes no sense. Do you mean that a person can choose their destination and change the influence from these stars?

How?

Suppose the stars say I cannot go to Chennai. Is there something I can do to overcome this.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd September 2018 at 11:59.
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:59   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I do have horoscopes done in my family long back which were accurate in predicting certain events right up to the exact age about the events that happened across two generations which correlated accurately. I do have them with me which were written 40 to 60 years back.
Same with me as well, they have got few predictions correct but most of the other predictions turned out to be false. And the trend with these predictions is they are generally vague with timeliness and scope.

The advantage astrologers have is that they only need to get at least one of their prediction correct, the customers will overlook all the false predictions.
Old 22nd September 2018, 12:09   #147

I have no clue how astrology works and I cant rationalize it. But I have seen some astrologers somehow come up with things which are quite accurate. I have no idea if those are mere chance factors or something else.

I also have my discomfort with astrology at a different level. If we combine Gene/DNA and astrology, then are we kind of pre-programmed for our stint in this world? Our physical/behavioral characteristics are determined by gene/DNA and fate broadly guided by the stars?
Old 22nd September 2018, 12:17   #148
BANNED

Quote:
@gthang.

Sorry but that makes no sense. Do you mean that a person can choose their destination and change the influence from these stars?

How?

Suppose the stars say I cannot go to Chennai. Is there something I can do to overcome this.
Suppose you get into a taxi and ask the driver to take you to the moon, depending on how gullible you are, and how convincing the driver is, you might think that you made a trip to the moon.

But because you don't know how or where the vehicle can go, and if you set the destination either in ridicule or in ignorance, it's not the vehicle's fault.

Cheers
Old 22nd September 2018, 12:22   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Suppose you get into a taxi and ask the driver to take you to the moon, depending on how gullible you are, and how convincing the driver is, you might think that you made a trip to the moon.

But because you don't know how or where the vehicle can go, and if you set the destination either in ridicule or in ignorance, it's not the vehicle's fault.

Cheers
I only expanded your analogy of a taxi and gave a very doable destination.

I don't understand how my Chennai and your moon become equal.
Old 22nd September 2018, 12:36   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

How does that work? How do these far away stars determine it for an individual? Suppose the stars say I cannot go to Chennai. Is there something I can do to overcome this.
I like your approach to this debate! With your line of questioning, I think you are gently nudging the fence-sitters towards "astrology is faith/belief" camp.

Most Viewed