Tarot 8 3.77%
None. 146 68.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2008, 14:48   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Nadi Shastra is very famous in certain parts of Tamil Nadu. All one needs to give is DOB and the thumb impression (my dad tried it). Half an hour later he came with manuscripts written on leaves. He got my grandparents names bang on, got my moms name bang on. Even told the number of siblings my dad had. I know in Astrology people can fake up a lot of stuff and it will seem to be a coincidence. But I don't think one can fake up names of your relatives. And that too get all of them right. There is something weird about this I tell you.
Am not much of a believer in this stuff, but yes I defenitely had a similiar experience at a place called maangad near chennai. The guy got some old palm leaves after taking my dads DOB and fingerprint and the guy rattled off a lot of details which were pretty accurate or very close to being accurate. Thats something that still baffles me. He said the leaves were written hundreds of years ago.
Old 14th May 2008, 17:16   #62
BHPian

Dont believe anything of the three at all.
reason being, a numerologist told me to change my name spelling to hreeshikesh kaneetkar from hrishikesh kanitkar.
what the heck man ?

@naadi shastra - Its a science for sure. A guy from bangalore ( located near dairy - off banerghatta road ) is supposedly an expert. I have been there with my parents, when i was in 9th ( 11 yrs back ). Whatever he told us about the past, was 95% right. But whatever things he gave us in writing as a 'forecast', accuracy has been less than 50%

IMHO, naadi granthas are a huge database of various positions of stars and their effect. Rest all depends on how the naadi-expert analyzes the various permutations and combinations present.
Old 14th May 2008, 17:35   #63
BHPian

None,

Im an atheist. The only thing i believe in is Science.
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:19   #64
BHPian

Re: Do you believe in Astrology,Tarot,Numerology???

Any Astrologer on board here? I am learning Astrology and am at a very basic level. Any suggestion for books?
Old 1st May 2012, 09:15   #65
BHPian

Is it possible to say that Medical Science is a Superstitious belief or a fake thing just because you have consulted a doctor who is not licensed or not knowledgeable. Truly that what is happening in today's world. I do not know much about Numerology and Tarot but I can assure that Astrology is 100% true IF a knowledgeble Astrologer is consulted and also the correct predictions depend on the right date of birth and time of birth of a person.

Basically Astrology is an ancient science devoloped by our great Indian Scholors but these people were not English men and so their findings are always subject matter of debate and not accepted by many. Planets were found out and named by English men and was called Science and our people found the same thing much earlier than the Englishmen and related them with GOD called Navagrahas.

Astrology has become a business today and i can assure that almost 99% of the Astrologers are money minded and have knowledge about Astrology less than 5% and that is why this great Indian Science has lost its genuinity and charm.

On on part i really prefer to be a superstitious beleiving person commenting that Astrology is not true atleast for the sake of not falling prey to these newly devoloped commercial Astrologers.

Last edited by rki2007 : 1st May 2012 at 09:18.
Old 17th September 2018, 13:44   #66
BHPian

An interesting conversation at a relative’s place, late evening, over some spirits.

Background: A relative’s gala wedding was planned in Guruvayoor, Kerala on 19th Aug 2018. 19th Aug was supposed to be a very very auspicious day.
(The whole conversation was in Malayalam between 2 people who were supposed to have attended the wedding, but cancelled due to the torrential rains and flooding).

Rationalist Uncle: Ella, weren’t you the one who said there would be a record number of wedding at Guruvyaoor this time on 19th. It was ‘chingam onne’ (first day of a Malayalam month) and a Sunday, you said, what more can one ask for.

Miffed uncle: Mumble mumble… who knew the rains would play a spoil sport.

Rationalist Uncle: You even said there would be at least 300 weddings creating a new record at Guruvayoor temple.

Miffed uncle: Why are we discussing this?

Rationalist Uncle: Tell me something, out of these 300 potential wedding, a good majority of them would have consulted an astrologer, right? And none of these astrologer could predict the calamity that was about to happen? They all claimed 19th Aug is the best date, and look what happened.
Yet, we are so hell bent on getting the horoscope matched. It time we moved on..

(The conversation continued to astrology bashing and superstitions and how mankind still finds solace in these practices.)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th September 2018 at 12:47. Reason: Typo: superstations to superstitions
Old 17th September 2018, 14:44   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvvkumar View Post
None,
Im an atheist. The only thing i believe in is Science.
So the only thing that you have to be convinced about now, is that Astrology is an ancient science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
...correct predictions depend on the right date of birth and time of birth of a person.
And place of birth - the exact latitude and longitudal coordinates, to be precise.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th September 2018 at 07:30. Reason: edited
Old 17th September 2018, 14:45   #68
BHPian

re: Do you believe in Astrology, Tarot, Numerology?

I am atheist and I do not believe in all.

I used to believe (though with question) in God and Astrology 4-5 years back. But when I came to Europe, my view completely changed. Now I have strong opposition to these beliefs, in fact I hold these things responsible for state of our society.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 17th September 2018 at 14:46.
Old 17th September 2018, 15:11   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
So the only that you have to be convinced about now, is that Astrology is an ancient science.
There is no category called ancient science. If it has verifiable evidence, either observable or mathematical, it is science. If any hypothesis can be tested repeatedly by scientists all around the world giving the same result, it is science.

Astrology has never met that criteria.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 15:54   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There is no category called ancient science. If it has verifiable evidence, either observable or mathematical, it is science. If any hypothesis can be tested repeatedly by scientists all around the world giving the same result, it is science.

This may also be because astrology is not something which can be tested basis our current understanding of science? Quantum physics can not be validated using classical physics model. Light demonstrates particle as well as wave nature, both of which are contradictory yet are explained in detail through appropriate models of physics. There is a lot which science can not explain today and scientists have accepted that our understanding is yet to evolve.

I don't claim to be able to explain astrology but can't dismiss something as being untrue just because I don't understand that.
Old 17th September 2018, 15:59   #71
BHPian

Quote:

Perhaps, the definition of science was different in ancient times

On that note, Astrology, Homeopathy, all religious practices and procedures, in fact, god itself - is unscientific.

Only holy trinity that we can scientifically believe on is actually Hydrogen, Carbon and Oxygen.
Old 17th September 2018, 16:32   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
This may also be because astrology is not something which can be tested basis our current understanding of science?
You are using god of the gaps argument towards astrology?

Quote:
I don't claim to be able to explain astrology but can't dismiss something as being untrue just because I don't understand that.
I don't need any futuristic/current science to understand why humans can fly, when there is no evidence that humans fly.

The question is about evidence. Once we have evidence, we can ponder about why and how.

Quote:
Quantum physics can not be validated using classical physics model.
So? Quantum physics can be perfectly verified via mathematics.
Old 17th September 2018, 17:06   #73
BHPian

Quote:
The question is about evidence. Once we have evidence, we can ponder about why and how.

So? Quantum physics can be perfectly verified via mathematics.
Our current level of scientific understanding is confined to a very narrow band - on both sides of the spectrum: quantum side as well as super-massive, deep space side. And we try to hypothesize it basis our current understanding. We are still searching for the graviton, for example. Same is with dark energy/dark matter. Some theoretical physicists also hypothesize negative mass particles. All of these are basis the gaps in our understanding or measurements of natural occurrences, and hypothesized basis "possible" solutions to complex mathematical equations only.

We can't predict weather accurately, but can work out the probabilities basis the models made through data accumulated from past many years' actual occurrences. Today, we can precisely predict the fate of a star by calculating its mass, we can accurately predict a lot of things through science, but the world still largely remain probabilistic. There is always a chance for the "improbable" to happen. No one can by 100% sure of anything. We can not explain why the entire observable universe is exclusively made of particles, while at the time of big bang, equal amount of particles and anti-particles were produced.

Astrology could be a chanced-upon knowledge, not yet understood fully. Hence, in the current form, it is not a science. But everything in this world, in this universe is in one way or other linked to everything else. Movement of stars can have an effect on movement of elementary particles inside our bodies. It's not understood, nor it is observed, but "possible". Just like quantum entanglement, nonlocality, distortion of spacetime by gravitational waves...even if observed/deduced through mathematical solutions - is hard to explain and believe.
Old 17th September 2018, 17:10   #74
BHPian

Just putting a thought out- Astrology is just Big Data.

Crores of births, lives and deaths recorded to find similarities, trends and outcomes based on parameters like birth dates, birth times, planetary positions etc, etc.

What astrologers tell us are the the probable outcomes. The more in-depth analysis the astrologer does, better the prediction.

PS: Not a believer, did Nadishastra along with parents- it blew my 16 year old mind, never went back. Now I take my life as a surprise
Old 17th September 2018, 17:25   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

I posted this in the Bangalore traffic-related thread too, but if you remember the day when there was a lunar eclipse early this year, the streets of Bangalore were virtually empty on a weekday evening because of the various beliefs associated with an eclipse, when those streets would usually see crawl-traffic on any other weekday at the same time.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le22624254.ece

So I'm pretty sure a large majority of us do believe in some form of these things, or at least go along with family tradition or pressure when it comes to these things.

Most Viewed