Astrology 62 29.25%
Numerology 15 7.08%
Tarot 8 3.77%
None. 146 68.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2018, 12:50   #151
BANNED

Re: Do you believe in Astrology, Tarot, Numerology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I only expanded your analogy of a taxi and gave a very doable destination.

I don't understand how my Chennai and your moon become equal.
Not sure if you have grasped the analogy as intended.

If I go to an astrologer and ask for the way to become a millionaire, it would be like taking a taxi to the moon. And the results will be as mentioned earlier.

If your destination is something more meaningful and you need some answers, provided you get a good driver, you might get there.

But if mixing up hypothetical destinations and actual travel is confusing, I assure you actually studying Astrology will be very difficult. Just hope that lack of understanding does not lead to dismissal, as it's much easier.

Cheers
Old 22nd September 2018, 12:51   #152
BHPian

Quote:

When we say that a certain star or planet influences an individual's life, does it mean that some power it exerts from millions of miles away is able to travel all this way and accurately strike this person?
Go through this link. You will get the gist.

To quote a part;

Quote:
That is, the science of space as an electrically charged field in which all matter is, in turn, charged and suspended (and connected!). Stones, Crystals and Metals as well as Colour, Earth, Air, Water, Fire, Akash, Ourselves, our Planet and our Universe all contains ENERGY. It is this energy, which permits everything in this universe to make it function. This energy source is actually beyond Religion, beyond theory or explanation.
Mind you, this is not a scientific explanation. A speaking tree article is the last place for scientific analysis. Unfortunately due to the emphasis on modern scientific language, many people deviate from using original terminology and try to science up the explanation by quoting plasma physics and what not. For the lack of a centralised information body, Individual honest practitioners have their own biases too.

Quote:
I assume most common usage for astrology is predicting which date to start a company or get married on. Predicting the success of a marriage based on when the bride and groom were born. Predicting the success of a marriage based on when it's performed.
Predicting the success of the love life of the couple based on when they consummate it.
I think you are talking about two different things here.

One is muhurat

Quote:
It is a common practice in Hinduism to perform or avoid activities like important religious ceremonies on the basis of the quality of a particular Muhūrta.
And then there is Rahukaal

Quote:
Rahukaal (also spelled as Rahukalam, Rahu kaal, Raukaal, Raahu kal, Raahu kaal, or Rahu kalam) or the period of Rahu is a certain period of time every day that is considered inauspicious for any new venture according to Indian Vedic astrology.
The other thing is matchmaking. I couldn't find much on this as every search throws up matrimonial sites .
Old 22nd September 2018, 13:31   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post

If your destination is something more meaningful and you need some answers, provided you get a good driver, you might get there.

Cheers
Can you please provide some actual questions that get asked and what the answers will be.

Like for example, if I ask. Will I pass on this exam.
The astrologer says, what?

Because if he says study, then what's the differentiator for him.

Now you can dismiss my question as simplistic.
So please provide a question you think is more relevant.

Quote:
That is, the science of space as an electrically charged field in which all matter is, in turn, charged and suspended (and connected!). Stones, Crystals and Metals as well as Colour, Earth, Air, Water, Fire, Akash, Ourselves, our Planet and our Universe all contains ENERGY. It is this energy, which permits everything in this universe to make it function. This energy source is actually beyond Religion, beyond theory or explanation.

So does this energy from these stars travel all those millions and millions of miles and then get complemented by some stone set in a ring?
Is the stone like a beacon or something?

Last edited by bblost : 22nd September 2018 at 13:34.
Old 22nd September 2018, 13:43   #154
BHPian

Quote:
So does this energy from these stars travel all those millions and millions of miles
Scientifically true

Quote:
It does! This loss of energy is usually officially termed a cosmological redshift, and it’s an interesting combination of the way that light moves through space, and the nature of our Universe’s expansion.
Link

and

Link

Last edited by AltoLXI : 22nd September 2018 at 13:50.
Old 22nd September 2018, 13:49   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Scientifically true

And affects people in different ways based on when they were born?
Old 22nd September 2018, 13:55   #156
BANNED

Quote:
So please provide a question you think is more relevant
Astrology is not Google. What is relevant to you is only relevant to you.

If you belittle it by asking mundane questions, it means you lack an understanding and in some ways disrespect it.

You need to go to school for several years to do basic calculus, but think that Astrology can be understood on an internet forum?

Good luck with that.

Cheers
Old 22nd September 2018, 13:58   #157
Team-BHP Support

What would that question be for someone from our demographic.

40 something, married with kids?

Give any example.
Old 22nd September 2018, 14:18   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What would that question be for someone from our demographic.40 something, married with kids? Give any example.
Questions about chronic health issues, issues with kids' education or financial/business issues would be relevant. Asking about the results of India Pakistan cricket match (because you made a large bet) is an irrelevant question.

Solutions offered are usually like this -

- You will have some issues till X years. After that, things will get better (seems fair)
- Visit a famous temple, usually 300 kms away (I love this advice because I get to go on a holiday and visit some new places)
- Rarely, do a Puja or Homa (Not too keen on this, but wife's orders)

Like V. Narayan, I follow exactly what my wife says regarding these things. Key to happy married life.
Old 22nd September 2018, 14:29   #159
BHPian

Quote:
What would that question be for someone from our demographic.

40 something, married with kids?

Give any example.
Questions aren't random. It usually rises from something affecting you personally. A lot of personal experience is involved. For the service sector folks, life is quite predictable. On the other hand, people who dabble in business or take risks are ones more open to understanding astrology.

Since you can't come up with questions, the issues (if any) you face either have a straight forward solution or it's too personal to share here.

I was/am going through a lean phase and asked the astrologer if there's some relief. I got the answers I was looking for. It's halfway correct but there's still time.
Old 22nd September 2018, 14:39   #160
BHPian

Quote:
And affects people in different ways based on when they were born?
I understand your Socratic way of questioning but here goes...

Again scientifically radiation can affect people at a given locale.

Chernobyl disaster

Quote:
Not only do caesium-137, strontium-90, and other isotopes have half lives that will contaminate the region's air, water, and soil for six more decades or longer, but, according to Ukraine's State Centre for Environmental Radiochemistry and scientists at Britain's Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, the levels of radiation in the water and soil are rising.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 22nd September 2018 at 14:40.
Old 22nd September 2018, 15:02   #161
Team-BHP Support

So from these questions and answers, it looks more like an astrologer is playing the role of a counselor.

All they need to do is to follow the body language of the person and keep giving them motivational speeches.

If nothing works, travel is always a good option.

Takes your mind off the problems and you can see what you are doing right or wrong.

You don't need no stars and stones in rings for this.

I am yet to see any form of evidence that doing something changed the influence of some random planets or stars on a specific person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I understand your Socratic way of questioning but here goes...

Again scientifically radiation can affect people at a given locale.
Affects everyone equally.

I don't see how you compare this to astrological predictions for an individual.
Old 22nd September 2018, 15:20   #162
BHPian

Quote:
So from these questions and answers, it looks more like an astrologer is playing the role of a counselor.
Not necessarily. The answers are not always positive or exciting for everyone. People have different roles in life, some are mundane theres not much to look into. Some influence others lives and their environment significantly. Some live in the shadows. Some work hard to get out of the shadows. There are many answers you don't want to hear. Once you reach a crossroads in life astrology can help you judge which path to choose and what it holds for you. The answer can be encouraging or bluntly discouraging.
Old 22nd September 2018, 17:24   #163
Team-BHP Support

So that is a good counselor.

I with no knowledge of astrology can do the same for anyone.
Tell them to work hard. Tell them based on my life experience that their idea of life improvement is not going to work
Tell the young girl that no, he did not love you.
Tell the young guy that no, it was her father who forced her into marriage and now he can let it go.
Blah blah blah.

No need for any actual stars and planets to simply take some common sense advice and give it to others
Old 22nd September 2018, 18:29   #164
BANNED

Quote:

I am yet to see any form of evidence that doing something changed the influence of some random planets or stars on a specific person
At least Samurai was quite blunt in his dismissal, can't say that I appreciate the sly approach.

To look for evidence, one must have an unprejudiced view, and I don't need an astrologer to know how you looked.

Cheers. Good luck baiting.
Old 22nd September 2018, 19:12   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
At least Samurai was quite blunt in his dismissal, can't say that I appreciate the sly approach.

To look for evidence, one must have an unprejudiced view, and I don't need an astrologer to know how you looked.

Cheers. Good luck baiting.
There is nothing sly in my approach. I asked straight forward questions. Your inability to answer led to more questions.

Simply trying to call something science does not make it scientific.

Astrology, tarrots, parrots, religions they all rely on faith.

It's absolutely acceptable to have faith.

But trying to merge it into a rational space is for lack of a better word, laughable.

There is as much chance of something good or bad happening to anyone by doing any ritual as there is the chance of it happening by not doing anything.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks