Numerology 15 7.08%
Tarot 8 3.77%
None. 146 68.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2008, 08:54   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
mclaren1885 : Ah yes! I did read this book about Star Signs & Love Relationships by Linda Goodman. Find a few stuff too good to be true.
Went through all that when in college, but after reading a what she had written about a few signs, got a feeling of playing with words. While a couple of basic traits may be true for each sign, beyond that the traits & behaviour described seemed to be the same for every sign, but put in a different way. There's a lot of generalizations too. So, gave up on Ms Goodman.

And when speaking of behaviour & traits, a person's t & b depend a lot on his own thoughts & his environment. His basic traits get shaped a lot by these two factors. And people change. A book cant pin down a person like that.

Coming back to Indian astrology, the subject itself is possibly too vast for any one to become an expert. There are some good ones, and I have seen some predictions come very true. A family friend (who is an astro himself) had read something for himself, and tried his best to prevent that from happening - but in the end, what he had foreseen happened despite all his efforts.

Over a period of time, have had some interactions with astrologers, but somehow found that the same person could not give the same readings in subsequent consultations. And have seen them not being able to back their own readings. Here again, there's a lot of generalizations involved.

These things & others have made me feel that I dont need to depend on the astrologers. Even the Gita says so.
Old 6th May 2008, 09:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Coming back to Indian astrology, the subject itself is possibly too vast for any one to become an expert. There are some good ones, and I have seen some predictions come very true. A family friend (who is an astro himself) had read something for himself, and tried his best to prevent that from happening - but in the end, what he had foreseen happened despite all his efforts.

Over a period of time, have had some interactions with astrologers, but somehow found that the same person could not give the same readings in subsequent consultations. And have seen them not being able to back their own readings. Here again, there's a lot of generalizations involved.

These things & others have made me feel that I dont need to depend on the astrologers. Even the Gita says so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
i would say only one thing, people believe in yourselfs first, then when one has full confidence on oneself that they cannot be influenced by anything go look at things like this, one needs to be strong to face what is told and stay uninfluenced by all this and do only what they think is correct.

this topic is totally debatable, because there is no guarantee in the first place like i said the time of birth can be 100% correct, if it is correct then the person who you go to for guidance should be 100% dedicated, authentic, precise and correct.

Its then that what ever is predicted can come true, well all these predictions are inevitable for sure but then, it ONLY HELPS ONE STAY PREPARED, AND ofcourse in a way destroys the surprises the life holds for us.

IN THE END I SAY ITS WAY COMPLICATED THAN ONE CAN THINK ABOUT THIS IS ALL THAT I CAN SAY.

DISCLAIMER WARNING: These are my own opinions based on what i have seen and experienced in life, i mean no offense to any person, nor do i say i am 100% correct, so people dont believe them blindly.

PS: well all things spoke here are pertaining to science of astrology alone.
i agree here condor and it goes with what i have said before.

well yes the subject is vast and takes many years rather decades for any one person to master this science.

its not just physical strength, the spiritual and other energies in a person's body need to be so pure as a saint living in a forest to be as perfect as 100%.

you see that is kind of impossible in the world we live today because, basically every thing around us is impure!

well it can be explained as the roads we walk or ride our cars is made of fossils or dead animals and bodies, the air we breath is mixed with the fumes from the exhausts of our cars which is again fossil.

even the food that we eat is covered in plastic! so in a age like this i dont think one can be as pure to predict the things.

The best way is to believe that one is in the control of ones own fate and knows that what ever is happening in his/her life is due to his or her own actions primarily and what ever happens has to be taken positively and one must move on.

after all like i said the astrology is just a science that guides a person to prosper thats all rest is in ones own hands.
Old 6th May 2008, 10:39   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't believe in any of these. Your tommorow is what you make of it.
Old 6th May 2008, 10:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Nopes, It's a waste of time. Where's my beer now ? I've been waiting !!
Old 6th May 2008, 10:51   #35
Team-BHP Support

I don't believe in any of the 3 listed above. Still, sometimes I read the forecast in newspaper just for fun.
BTW, I'll have a rum n' coke instead of beer, please.
Old 6th May 2008, 11:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
I don't believe in any of the 3 listed above. Still, sometimes I read the forecast in newspaper just for fun.
BTW, I'll have a rum n' coke instead of beer, please.
Hey, its same here. Isn't this astonishing? BTW what's your sun sign? Maybe we are of same sun sign as our ideas match.

I would prefer "Chivas with plain soda" instead of rum n'coke or beer.
Old 6th May 2008, 11:16   #37
BHPian

I dont believe in any of these things, and I dont drink!! so nothing is applicable for me!!
Old 6th May 2008, 11:37   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Its near a temple around this place in Tamil Nadu called Chidambaram. Don't remember the exact name of the place or the temple. Give me some time, I'll check my travelogue thread and dig out the name. Or I'll have to check my travel diary.
Rahul, was this Sirkali Temple by any chance?
Old 6th May 2008, 12:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

umm...Don't beleive in them.

But it is fun to read.

Me and my roomies read the forecast every saturday in TOI just to know if any of us is getting money or a 'relation' (Yes they do forecast this ).
PS: Till now money part has been true sometimes but the 'relation' part has never been true!

Last edited by safari_lover : 6th May 2008 at 12:13.
Old 6th May 2008, 12:13   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Rahul, was this Sirkali Temple by any chance?

No. It is the Vaitheeswaran Temple.
Old 6th May 2008, 12:35   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

> Rahul, was this Sirkali Temple by any chance?

No. It is the Vaitheeswaran Temple.
Yeah thats right...there are 3 temples and the place is called Sirkali...any ideas on the route - how to get there?

Does anyone have any feedback on the roads/ accessibility/ travelogues?
Old 6th May 2008, 13:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

Somehow i fail to understand celebrity fixations with letters & numbers. The most popular letter is 'K' and number is '9'. Most of these celebs have thier car numbers totalling upto 9, thier movies starting with K, and yeah even those rona-dhona soaps with K.

X
Old 6th May 2008, 13:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Yeah thats right...there are 3 temples and the place is called Sirkali...any
> ideas on the route - how to get there?

There is a place called Sirkali. Vaitheeswaran Temple is also the name of the place.

Though I am familar with the places in that region (as I go to the Saneeswaran temple at Thirunallar, near Karaikal, Pondicherry) I took the help of mapmyindia.com to get the following.

From Tiruchirapally (or Trichy) take the NH 67 to Tanjore, then through Thiruvaiyaaru, Papanasam to Kumbakonam, onwards via Aduthurai, Kutthalam and Mayiladuthurai to Vaitheeswaran Temple and onwards ot Sirkali.

Alternatively, take the NH67 upto Thiruvarur and left via Nannilam, Peralam and Mayiladuthurai.

I am not sure about the distances. The NH67 was in good condition last year April when I used it. The other roads are good to bad in stretches, usually.
Old 6th May 2008, 13:58   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

gopz, it is infact Vaitheeshwaran Koil as they call it. The place comes in between Chidambaram and Sirikali. I shall check my travelogue to see if I can find the route I took.

Condor, I don't take Linda too seriously either. But as you said there are some general descriptions pertaining to all sun signs. For eg, its impossible to beat a Scorpion in an argument. Knowing most of my friends are Scorpions this sort of comes across as factual from my POV. There are other things like this. But don't take them as a thumb rule. Its just fun to read.
Old 6th May 2008, 14:09   #45
Team-BHP Support

A palmist once told me that I will have an arranged love marriage.

He was right, it was arranged and then I fell in love with her.

btw: my knowledge is shallow on this topic(astrology and stuff), will not comment on it.

Most Viewed