Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2008, 16:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

NBA Action!

Hello petrolheads!
This might be a strange thread here with so many cricket,football and of course motor racing enthusiasts (including me in all the three), I had been a regular NBA follower and thought of just knowing whether anyone else follows too.
With the playoffs kicking off and the Finals just around in June, I wanted to just start a thread sharing our own comments and support.

Coming to my personal choices the Mavericks knocked out in the 1st round, I seriously think Hornets will clash with the Celtics and who knows anything might happen.

MODS: Can the Eastern Conference Poll be added too
1.Celtics
2.Pistons
3.Magic
4.Cavaliers

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 6th May 2008 at 16:26. Reason: Need to add another poll for eastern conference
Old 6th May 2008, 17:12   #2
BHPian

once upon a time i use to like the sport, only because Michael Jordon was with BULLS, but after he retired, i never followed it!! So please keep us updated with it maverick. By the way what channel does it now air on ESPN??

VJ : Since we are discussing NBA, have you or any BHPian Seen an old Movie By the Name of KAZAM, which is based on a Geeni and a KID, the tall american guy, is he basketball Player by any chance... , If yes the which team. Yeah the movie is pretty old, saw it last week on Star Movies!!

Last edited by SohailPistawala : 6th May 2008 at 17:16.
Old 6th May 2008, 17:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Oh ! Sohail I got glued to basketball just because of Jordan and yea the games are aired mostly on ESPN but in the wee hours and that too not all. I mean you need to keep track from www.espnstar.com where the TV times are listed .
Yea the movie KAZAM has "SHAQ" Shaquille O' Neal..but its rated as the most worst and scariest movie(not in literal sense) . He is also another player not certainly in the league of Jordan but a 7ft 1" Guy weighing 350 Pounds does do a lot of difference on the court.
Old 6th May 2008, 21:42   #4
BHPian

Which channel ??Oh please which channel-ESPN???? and When?

Last edited by esteemer : 6th May 2008 at 21:43. Reason: Remembered something
Old 6th May 2008, 21:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi esteemer ! not all matches are being telecasted but ESPN and STAR Sports does telecast some matches and its mostly in the wee hours around 5:30AM where all will be slumbering for sure....

Anyway : Upcoming PlayOffs matches schedule:

May 7th Live : 8.00 AM ESPN: Eastern Conf Semifinals : Boston Celtics vs Cleveland Cavaliers (GAME 1)and
Repeat: 2:00PM
May 9th Live : 05:30 AM STAR SPORTS : Western Conf Semifinals : San Antonio Spurs Vs New Orlean Hornets

May 10th Live : 5:30 AM ESPN : Western Conf Semifinals : LA Lakers Vs Utah Jazz (GAME 3)
May 11th Repeat : 04.00 AM ESPN

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 6th May 2008 at 21:59.
Old 6th May 2008, 21:47   #6
BHPian

They only show couple of matches every week and that too at early hours. I don't understand why none of the channels are making an effort to show atleast the recorded matches. I wrote to ESPN couple of years ago on this but never got a reply.

I like the Spurs
Old 6th May 2008, 22:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
They only show couple of matches every week and that too at early hours. I don't understand why none of the channels are making an effort to show atleast the recorded matches. I wrote to ESPN couple of years ago on this but never got a reply.

I like the Spurs
Yea ! Nemo I agree with you about this as I too had written so many times about their telecasts @least from the Playoffs, but i think our mails might have been successfully been trashed out .

The Spurs (Defending champions) are having a hard time beating New Orleans Hornets in the semis this time though.
Old 7th May 2008, 09:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

I suppose there are not much Basketball enthusiasts, but anyways will update this thread and keep it going as the playoffs progress.

Eastern Conference Semis:
1 Boston Celtics lead 1-0 over 4 Cleveland Cavaliers

2 Detroit Pistons lead 2-0 over 3 Orlando Magic

Western Conference Semis
1 LA Lakers lead 1-0 over 4 Utah Jazz

2 New Orleans Hornets lead 2-0 over San Antonio Spurs

source nba daily and espn.
Old 7th May 2008, 10:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
once upon a time i use to like the sport, only because Michael Jordon was with BULLS, but after he retired, i never followed it!!
Ditto!! Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and Kukoc were absolutely the top players in those days. I watched all the 6-peat seasons of the Bulls but lost interest thereafter. Sigh... those were the days.
Old 7th May 2008, 10:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard View Post
Ditto!! Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and Kukoc were absolutely the top players in those days. I watched all the 6-peat seasons of the Bulls but lost interest thereafter. Sigh... those were the days.
I too agree that those were the days when some of the best players ruled the roost.Nevertheless, even in the present gen players there are some extraordinary talents in almost most of them teams here in playoffs with the likes of Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Kevin Garnet, Paul Gasol, Chris Paul, Tim Duncan,Tony Parker, Ginobili....the list goes as the game has dramatically changed with too much fast passing and defense.
Old 7th May 2008, 11:08   #11
stunnerzinc

The Cavs got pounded today! And what the heck, Lebron? He almost had a quadruple double-double, with 10 TO's and on 2 of 18.

Old 7th May 2008, 11:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well ! The cavs certainly lost but 72-76 loss could have been either way and most importantly Lebron scored only 12 points. Maybe he will come in good with good support from Szczerbiak and Ilgauskas. Dont forget Celtics have KG,Paul Pierce,Ray Allen and Sam Cassel as for Cavs to come back good apart from Lebron others should support as they did today.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:13   #13
BHPian

I also like to watch NBA matches whenever i have time but in the early-mid 90's i would hardly missed a match on espn.
Then i lost some interest but again started watching it coz of LA lakers.
After Shaq's exit i dont have that much interest now.Timings are also to be blamed for this.
BTW good work VJ,keep updating us.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Not a problem rsjaurr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
I also like to watch NBA matches whenever i have time but in the early-mid 90's i would hardly missed a match on espn.
Then i lost some interest but again started watching it coz of LA lakers.
After Shaq's exit i dont have that much interest now.Timings are also to be blamed for this.
BTW good work VJ,keep updating us.
Yea Buddy! I agree that with so many different time zones in the US the telecasts are pretty early in the wee hours and that is a major issue for low viewership,but occasionally they do a repeat telecast too and that too in the afternoon. Cant help with that but anyways i will keep you folks updated on the same and will point to some good upcoming matches as the league will be ending this june for this season.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:27   #15
BHPian

I still believe the champs are going to come back. Afterall they are the most successful franchise in the last decade.

ESPN is generous enough to show some Western conf matches.

Most Viewed