Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: What do you do if Oil prices double in next 1 year?
Do nothing. Spend twice the amount on fuel. 34 54.84%
Carpool and reduce the fuel spent by half 15 24.19%
Use alternative energy vehicles - eletric cars/ hybrid 7 11.29%
Use Bicycles or walk 6 9.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2008, 23:32   #16
BANNED

Oil price hits record high of $122.81

Now, drivers in US limit speed to get maximum mileage
Old 8th May 2008, 01:35   #17
BHPian

i'm glad! its about time we stopped using HUGE gas guzzling vehicles to carry one person around. this is especially true in the US.

even with such steep predicted rise in fuel costs i don't see car sales dip.
Old 8th May 2008, 03:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
i'm glad! its about time we stopped using HUGE gas guzzling vehicles to carry one person around. this is especially true in the US.
even with such steep predicted rise in fuel costs i don't see car sales dip.
Funny thing is that (in Houston,atleast) I haven't noticed a drastic change in the approach to saving gas. The regular gas guzzlers take $80-100 for a full tank,and yet people seem to be carefree to quite an extent about how much they drive around.
Old 10th June 2008, 21:45   #19
BANNED

Again, Arjun Narayan Murti of Goldman says oil prices may dip to $75

So call both heads & tails and when the coin falls you are the winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
here is the article publish on economic times site - 'Super-spike' could lift oil to $200: Goldman- Indicators-Economy-News-The Economic Times. This has come from none other than Goldman Sachs. So folks forget cars start riding bycycles.

If the cost of petrol/diesel is doubled in next year or so what would you all do?
Old 10th June 2008, 22:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

The best part is, there is no demand supply situation that is behind the price rise. Why, Saudi Arabia feels that there is no need to increase production, as there is enough crude to meet the demand.It is the speculators banking on the commodities market who are behind the price inflation.
Old 10th June 2008, 22:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Holy Cow 200 $ per barrel ! Tata can we get a 1 lac diesel car now ?
Old 10th June 2008, 22:30   #22
BHPian

I have been driving/riding since the time when Petrol was < Rs.10 per litre. I have never seen a drastic fall in the usage of cars / bikes when ever petrol prices go up. I do not expect to see any major change now either. I would love to see that though. At least it will keep the unruly morons off the road.

Voted for option 1

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 10th June 2008, 23:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

The only way to reduce fuel prices is to defeat the victors of the IInd World War.

Once the Western Alliance is defeated, and a just and fair regime is established fuel prices will come down by itself. The western govts have been corrupted beyond belief.

Since there is no immidiate chance of that happening. Horses it is.
Old 11th June 2008, 06:22   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Well,
Cycling is too risky and the distances I cycle can be easily walked.
I guess there is nothing to do except pay. Unless Public Transport improves, we have no choice.
At present, I don't need a car in the U.S. and in Mumbai, i don't have to go to a certain place everyday so I can carpool. However, if I am going somewhere and a bunch of friends are coming with me, I will carpool with them instead of everyone coming individually. It saves the environment though it may not necessarily save me money.
But as of now, in order to save money, all our cars are diesel. They not only save money but are as good if not better to drive than their petrol counterparts.
Old 11th June 2008, 10:59   #25
BHPian

I'm seriously looking for alternate energy bike/car and even before something like that happens i would be driving one.
Old 11th June 2008, 12:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

I'am currently doing car pooling and if the oil touches $200, then switch over to bike pooling.
Old 11th June 2008, 15:27   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For many, petrol & diesel are a necessity whose consumption cannot be reduced. Sure, it may make a difference to the bill amount when getting a full tank at the petrol pump. But beyond that initial grumble, people just gulp and move on. If you can consider alternative measures such as public transport, cylcling, car pooling etc. thats great. But some of us simply do not have that option.

Though I do not think that barrels will hit $200 in the next year or two, I did click poll option no.1 nevertheless. Nope, it will not affect the way I use my cars.
Old 11th June 2008, 15:38   #28
BHPian

If someone follows these analysts, there was an article in the Economic Times in which an analyst of Indian origin who had predicted that oil will touch close to 150$, a few years ago has again spoken. This time he says that oil will come down to levels of 75$ or lower per barrel once the demand subsides. When this fellow had predicted the surge, he was ridiculed and now people are taking him seriously. So if we are to believe him, we should not be worried.
Old 11th June 2008, 18:18   #29
BHPian

Using Bicycles/ Walking:
Out of question for the majority. Bicycles aren't safe at any place with 4 wheelers around. IT's not possible for people who work real far from where they live. Walking, yeah right. Walk 20kms one way, you'll probably sleep in office and get fired.

Hybrid cars etc:
Too costly. Honda civic costs around 12-13 lakh. The hybrid is going to cost over 20 lakh when it's launched in mumbai.

Carpooling:
For those lucky people who have colleagues living around the same area. That may be 10% of the entire working population in mumbai that drives. But you'll still need to spend your own fuel when going out with your family, wife, weekends, trips etc.

Do Nothing:

There's not much you can do. Buy a diesel. Get a CNG/LPG kit. Find a cheap way to make your ride solar powered.

Something we should do -> Find out what's going on behind the scenes, who's really responsible for this fuel hike, who's filling their coiffers and making grim faces on TV saying they are concerned about the price hike while they laugh their way to the bank and we pay through our noses -> This will make you immortal in the pages of automobile history.
Old 12th June 2008, 18:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzy View Post
Something we should do -> Find out what's going on behind the scenes, who's really responsible for this fuel hike, who's filling their coiffers and making grim faces on TV saying they are concerned about the price hike while they laugh their way to the bank and we pay through our noses -> This will make you immortal in the pages of automobile history.
This is what left parties are harping on from the beginning. The RPCL and other private oil refineries are laughing all the way to the bank as they are producing and exporting the oil to different countries where as we in our country are paying high. Govt should act very tough on these companies and ask them to fulfil the desi demand and then some portion they can export. But do Govt have Guts to tame these people?

Most Viewed