Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2008, 19:36   #1
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Fine text on Prescription Eyeglasses

Friends I just ordered a new pair of glasses the other day.

My eyes need prescription correction for both distance (myopia) and since I am 50, for reading (presbyopia).

So my glasses are progressive varifocals. They are coated with a non-reflective coating on both surfaces.

The eyeglasses were delivered yesterday night. This morning when I inspected them closely, I noticed some markings:
Two ellipses and some text on both lenses.

The markings are either on the glass or on the non-reflective coating.

Have a look at the pictures. Successive levels of zoom.

Fine text on Prescription Eyeglasses-glasseszoom0.jpg

Fine text on Prescription Eyeglasses-glasseszoom1.jpg

Fine text on Prescription Eyeglasses-glasseszoom2.jpg

Fine text on Prescription Eyeglasses-glasseszoom3.jpg

And here is a line drawing by me to explain what is visible.

Fine text on Prescription Eyeglasses-glasseslinedrawing.jpg

Do share what you think the markings are and whether they are permanent or temporary.

Any expert Ophthalmologists?

Ram

All pics were taken with my Nokia N82 phone, in macro mode with flash switched off.
Old 14th May 2008, 20:47   #2
BHPian

Lol..kinda reminded me of the movie transformers.Professor wikwiki or something like that..
Old 14th May 2008, 21:01   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Ram,

You will find your answer here.

As per the site -

Quote:
It has been recognized that it would be advantageous to develop a method and device for accurately determining the location of an auxiliary lens in a multifocal eyeglass lens. In addition, it has been recognized that it would be advantageous to develop a method and device to allow an eyeglass patient to view the location of an auxiliary lens in a pair of eyeglass frames before the production of the lens.
The present invention provides an eyeglass lens applique device for determining placement of at least one auxiliary lens within an eyeglass lens. The lens applique device can include a sheet of plastic that is removably disposable on the eyeglass lens. The plastic sheet can cling to the eyeglass lens by specific or mechanical adhesion. The plastic sheet can also include an outline of at least one auxiliary lens, and scale markings to show distance from the outline of the auxiliary lens to an approximate peripheral edge of the eyeglass lens.
In another aspect, the outline of the auxiliary lens on the plastic sheet and an area enclosed by the outline can be translucent.
The present invention also provides for a method for determining an auxiliary lens location for an eyeglass lens including placing a pair of eyeglasses on a patient. The eyeglasses can have a frame and a pair of lenses within the frame. An applique can be applied on at least one of the eyeglass lenses. The appliquÎ* can include an outline of an auxiliary lens and a distance scale. The placement of applique can be adjusted based on feedback from the patient with respect to the location of the outline of the auxiliary lens on the eyeglass lens. A scale on the applique can be observed in order to determine a distance from the outline of the auxiliary lens to a perimeter of the eyeglasses frame or lens and the distance can be recorded.
Quote:
As illustrated in FIGs. 4a-5, an eyeglass lens appliquÎ* device, indicated generally at 200, in accordance with another embodiment of the present invention is shown for use in determining placement of at least one auxiliary lens within an eyeglass lens 12. The lens appliquÎ* device 200 can be similar in many respects to the lens appliquÎ* device 10 described above and shown in FIGs. 1-2. The lens appliquÏŒ device 200 can include a plastic sheet 220 having an outline 24 of an auxiliary lens and scale markings 50.
Quote:
Since both the right and left lenses 12 in a pair of eyeglasses may have different placement locations for an auxiliary lens, each lens 12 can be marked with its own appliquÎ* device 200.
From what I gather, the markings lie on a transparent plasctic coating on your lens. The indication 200 indiates bi-focal (300 indicates tri focal) and the other marking are created with respect to your prescription and point of changeover of lens, with respect to your physical level/height of vision.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 14th May 2008 at 21:06.
Old 14th May 2008, 21:09   #4
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Wow Sam Kapasi:

Heartfelt thanks for that response.
The link you provided is certainly informative and helpful.

Ram
Old 14th May 2008, 21:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wow, Ram.

do you really need glasses?
Old 15th May 2008, 23:42   #6
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Ultrafine markings laser engraved into the glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Wow, Ram.

do you really need glasses?
@vivekiny2k: Thanks for that statement of confidence.

I spoke to my regular opticians: Gerard Opticians of Chembur, Mumbai.

They told me that
all varifocal lenses nowadays, esp. the top brands have numbers and symbols laser engraved into the glass for identification and prescription verification.

The "200" signifies that the power for the reading portion is +2 diopters over and above the distance power.

Some manufacturers' markings are more visible than others but none will affect the quality of vision through the lenses.

Ram

Gerard Opticians, estab:1960 happen to be Chembur's pioneer opticians and were the only opticians until 1971.
Old 13th August 2009, 19:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Your optician was right. That is your addition for your presbyopia error. This has to be added to your distance vision, watch closer towards the nose bridge and you will be able to see a similar logo for the brand of the lens.

You can try blowing on the lenses and I am sure you will be able to identify a water mark to showcase the authenticity of the coating.

As someone asked, Why do you need glasses?

Last edited by beejay : 13th August 2009 at 19:16.
Old 22nd December 2014, 15:57   #8
BHPian

Re: Fine text on Prescription Eyeglasses

I'm sorry for re-opening a dormant thread. I did not want to open a new one for the question that I have.

I have been prescribed to wear glasses by my eye doctor. I have one since 2 weeks. The glasses are made of anti-reflection material. What I find strange is that when I take my glasses off after wearing them for an hour or so, my eyes become a bit blurred. After some time, my eyes turn normal. Is this natural?

How can I make sure that my glasses have the exact power that I was prescribed for? I have short-sightedness on one of my eyes. Is there a way to check my glasses if they have been calibrated for the correct power that I was prescribed?
Old 22nd December 2014, 18:12   #9
BHPian

Re: Fine text on Prescription Eyeglasses

Note from Support: Please do not use in-line replies. Quote relevant portions of post only. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I have been prescribed to wear glasses by my eye doctor. I have one since 2 weeks. The glasses are made of anti-reflection material. What I find strange is that when I take my glasses off after wearing them for an hour or so, my eyes become a bit blurred. After some time, my eyes turn normal. Is this natural?
This is natural. Your eyes take some time to adjust when you put on or take off your glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
How can I make sure that my glasses have the exact power that I was prescribed for? I have short-sightedness on one of my eyes. Is there a way to check my glasses if they have been calibrated for the correct power that I was prescribed?
You can get that checked with the same doctor who prescribed the glasses. They run few tests to check if the power is same as prescribed. Most doctors actually recommend you to get the glasses checked after you get them.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd December 2014 at 23:33. Reason: Edited - see note.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks