Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2008, 01:42   #1
BHPian

How about a Ferrari with an 800cc engine?

How about a Ferrari with an 800cc engine?
CR-V
As I look at the choices of different high performance exotic cars offered in the market, I wonder what one would do if one buys one. Well maybe “show off”, because most of the people who buy these cars just want to flaunt their money more than anything else. Please read the word “most” before anyone gets offended by reading this. Let’s take the example of Mumbai, big metro city, lots of celebrities and obviously lots of money. I went to a club last night; in front of the club I saw Ferraris, Bentleys, Lambos…. and the list goes on. I was standing there and wondering when these guys take their toys out on road what would the maximum speed they will hit???? 50…..100....150, probably it will make them reach the next red light a little faster than Padmini cab which would be following it. And then somewhere along will come a speed breaker and there goes the speed and probably the car as well. Ask their owner what engine it is and they probably know it’s a V6 or a V8 and any further questions wouldn’t attract any right answers.

It’s not that if a person with all the knowledge of the car would be any better with it. At the end of it he can’t make the roads any better, now can he? So in actual day to day life a 3cylinder gets you from A to B in the same time as a V12 would or even faster as you are not that scared about a scratch on the side. If you do want to see the real power of the car, you probably have to take it to a deserted express way. There also you would be scared of a dog crossing the road any time. So the only place left for it is the race track!

I came across something very interesting the other day. A guy converted a Toyota with a 2.0 ltr. engine into a Ferrari look alike. He didn’t fiddle with the engine at all. He just modified the body of the car from outside. Imagine owning a Ferrari at 1/10 the price or even less.

And then it struck me, there must be a reason why people buy them and millions crave for them. They are exotic and high performance cars after all. The only reason they are made is to take their drivers to a high, a different level, where heart meets the soul, the accelerator comes to life and wants you to press it harder and harder. And most of the time they are better than your F1 cars, F1 cars gear boxes are meant to last for only 2 races. So it’s enough excuse for the exotic car to perform a little less than the formula cars and don’t forget they seat more than one passenger and that also more comfortably. If you drive them slowly and carefully it is still more advantageous.

A car is a mirror image of its owner. You can easily know what type of person one is by knowing what car he drives. If a person goes to 5 star hotel on a bicycle, the door man wouldn’t let him in.

The sound of the engine at the slightest thrust is what makes these cars special. Shining on the road- having that exclusivity factor- passing all others and coming to a halt at the destination with a commanding respect, with everyone trying to a get a glimpse of the owner and the car. Super cars as I may refer them, are a status symbol and you can be sure that if you own one you have achieved a status in the society and completed a goal of your life. You may buy a fake one as I mentioned earlier but it is as good as wearing glass instead of diamond, they may sparkle a little like the real ones but they are no where close to the real.

In conclusion, I would say it’s good that these manufactures are producing these cars and that also with real genuine big and powerful engines which even if felt for a second is equivalent to heaven and that’s one reason they are justified to charge huge money and specially when you look at the history of their development you’ll discover they are rather more than just cars…

And as I come to an end I am going to leave you with some technical data of a car which defines a super car in every sense the Buggati Veyron.
VITAL STATISTICS

Model Bugatti Veyron 16.4
Engine 7993cc, 16 cylinders in a W
Power 1001bhp @ 6000rpm
Torque 922 lb ft @ 2200rpm
Transmission 7-speed DSG, manual and auto
Fuel 11.7mpg (combined)
CO2 574g/km
Acceleration 0-100km: 2.5sec (and that is fast)
Top speed 407km/hr
Price 6.5crores rupees (Pricey for sure)
Rating Five stars (I don’t think anyone will argue)

Do rate and comment on my article, good as well as bad points to help me improve. Thanks
CR-V

Last edited by aah78 : 17th May 2008 at 02:07. Reason: Text format tags removed. Copy-paste in Notepad after typing message in Word to avoid. Thanks!
Old 17th May 2008, 13:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

An exotic looking car, but one without power, will neither have bragging rights nor any prestige. Not every Porsche owner has to touch 300 kph and neither does every Hummer H1 owner have to go off-roading.
Old 17th May 2008, 13:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
An exotic looking car, but one without power, will neither have bragging rights nor any prestige. Not every Porsche owner has to touch 300 kph and neither does every Hummer H1 owner have to go off-roading.
exactly what i am saying. glass can be made to sparkle like diamond but it can never be a diamond not even close.
Old 17th May 2008, 13:58   #4
BHPian

Well, these cars are certainly not made for Indian roads. But people still import these exotics, as you said just for show-off. Anyone importing them would be so well off that they can settle down abroad and enjoy the car on those roads.

But what i keep thinking is that how do these people manage to drive those exotics in indian city traffic. The slightest press of the accelerator wil make the car zoom forward and before you could blink an eye, would rear end into a slow moving car in front. Controlling them at slow speeds will be very hard i believe. And even indian expressways are no good for these cars.

And I once read somewhere that there are some chinese local makes of look alike ferraris (Only on the outside) at less than 1/10th of the cost. Though you would not get the fit and finish of the original, it would be good to deceive people some distance away. But once they discover that it's an all out fake, you need to run and hide your face somewhere

PS: It was when i was reading about an article on 'Gulsar' a chinese copy of bajaj pulsar.
Old 17th May 2008, 19:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
exactly what i am saying. glass can be made to sparkle like diamond but it can never be a diamond not even close.
In that case you have failed to convey your point. Was the title sarcastic? even your conclusion is inconclusive....the first question would be, "what is your point"

and if it's just to look down upon imitators.....that doesn't deserve an article in a diplomatic tone.
Old 17th May 2008, 19:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

while 800cc might be too little , there are enough sub 2 litre cars which can make a ferrari very small in their rear view mirrors very very quickly
or is the TS a classic case of a ricer justifying himself ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 17th May 2008 at 20:01.
Old 17th May 2008, 20:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quite inane.
What is the purpose behind this exercise?
I don't know whether to say yes or no, LOL!
What are your asking opinion on/about?
Old 18th May 2008, 00:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I came across something very interesting the other day. A guy converted a Toyota with a 2.0 ltr. engine into a Ferrari look alike. He didn’t fiddle with the engine at all. He just modified the body of the car from outside. Imagine owning a Ferrari at 1/10 the price or even less.
Did you see a Toyota MR-2 with a Ferrari body kit!? These are very famous both for looks and performance... a Mr-2 with turbo kit is not something that is taken lightly. Given the right tuning, they can easily out run ferraris and Lambos (Check you vids on You tube)

Extreme Cars - Ferrari F355 body kit for Toyota MR2
Old 18th May 2008, 01:35   #9
BHPian

ahhh... this something i wrote in my free time, basically tried to write an article (still practicing), so anupmathur this just for people to read and think.

@vivek: i know i am not that good at writting articled just gave it a shot, will write better next time.
Old 18th May 2008, 08:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ahhh... this something i wrote in my free time, basically tried to write an article (still practicing),
There is no shortcut to being a good writer.
Quite apart from the innate talents required, there is this matter of technicalities of the language.
I'd highly recommend a complete read of this very useful thread at T-BHP itself: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...r-english.html

All the best.
Old 18th May 2008, 09:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do rate and comment on my article, good as well as bad points to help me improve
It takes courage to write an article, any article. I congratulate you for having this courage. As the others have told you, it was a bumpy read and mostly, appeared to have no real point to it.

It has been said before that the knowledge of English is not mandatory to post on Team-BHP. But it is always a given that if you choose to write an article, the language must be perfect. It is jarring to read imperfections and tends to distract people away from the core content.

Brush up your skills with punctuation and the usage of English. Make what you write more readable and enjoyable.

Lastly, writing an article is exactly like telling a long story. Unless it has a clear story, point and/or end to it, the listener gets annoyed at the end of it.

Before you write it, repeat it to yourself in your head.
Then ask yourself if you found it interesting to listen to.
Then write it.

If your content is weak, the narration can sometimes hold the story afloat. And that needs a little practice and skill.

Do not be discouraged by the criticism. Find an interesting, meaningful topic and write another article. I am sure if you put some effort into it, Team-BHPians would love to read it.

P.S. While you did attempt a sensational title, there was positively no connection between to title and the article. Unless I missed something.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 18th May 2008 at 09:49.
Old 24th May 2008, 22:40   #12
BHPian

@Sam
Thank you for your comment. Your points proved real helpful.

As I read the article now, it does seem a little funny.
Thinks I have learned:-
1. Think first, write down points and then write.
2. Read again and again.
3. Clear your points (Don’t think things are self explanatory)

@anupmathur
I have started reading that thread. But till now it all seems very basic.
I gave my IELTS a while back for admission in a UK university (Undergraduate). Scored 8/9, but in that also my lowest was writing only.
What I realize is that I don’t read what I have written again and that’s the biggest problem (working on it).

I am continuing to read that English thread hopefully will gain something from it. And hopefully the next article I write would be better.

CR-V
Old 25th May 2008, 11:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I realize is that I don’t read what I have written again and that’s the biggest problem (working on it).
LOL, a good place to start would be this very post of yours.
See if you can find the few errors and make this post 'perfect'.
Old 25th May 2008, 14:21   #14
BHPian

I realize my problem is that I don’t read what I write.

better?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks