Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2008, 23:43   #166
Senior - BHPian

Just returned today from New airport. Seems the BIAL is planning well. Before boarding in Singapore, they distributed a pamplet with map of new airport and also a one for the Bus routes and details. It also had the Taxi charges and other detials. Good to see.

The Immigration went without any queue. But I should also mention that the crowd from our flight was nothing. Most seats was vacant, I was sleeping in the all the 3 seats

The ground service should improve a lot. It took almost 40min to get out baggage. That too, ours was the only flight at that time and no crowd also.

Still I could see a lot of guys pulling you around to private taxis. One started with 800 and settled for 500. It was for Airport to C.V.Raman Nagar. But I dont want to take these guys and so took a Easy cab from Airport. It costed me 670Rs.

Special news for guys especially flying on 2 wheelrs on old madras road to Airport. These cab guys are no way better than Auto guys. They sneek into any gaps, any cuts anything they could make. Driving at 90-100kmph on that road. The driver I had was a new driver. And he made to think if I should get down from the car on the way. Whenever he crossed a speed breaker, he keeps seeing around his right, and thinking no stops ahead, rises the car like anything. 2 times he was about to bang on the lorry in front. Poor guy, still dont know that we do have 2 or even 3 speed breakers just next to next

Also, the UDF is only for the departuring people. Not for the one who already travelled and arriving in this airport.
Old 6th June 2008, 23:58   #167
BHPian

My flight from Pune was delayed by almost an hour, so I was bound to miss the 4:30 bus that I booked online. Fortunately, they have a policy to 3-hour validity of the bus ticket. So I got the 5:20 bus, which started right on time.

The journey till IPL was pleasant, no major traffic snarls, just a couple of them on the way. I reached IPL gate at 6:45 pm and then took 335E to reach Ginger Hotel.

The hotel is well managed. As advertised, it is a self-service hotel, although I must add that the staff is always there to help. They arranged for a buffet dinner, pretty good one too. The room is well equipped. Everything in place. Wi-fi is provided on demand. Rooms are neatly maintained and the access card system works well.

A good budget hotel option.

Thank you one and all for your kind suggestions. Made my life easier reaching the destination. Signing off from the hotel room now. Need to catch up some rest after a very long day.
Old 7th June 2008, 08:17   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
The journey till IPL was pleasant, no major traffic snarls, just a couple of them on the way. I reached IPL gate at 6:45 pm and then took 335E to reach Ginger Hotel.
Good to know that.

Even I was there at the airport to pick up my Nephew coming from US.

The Emirates flight's ETA was 3 AM. I was checking the arrival status on both BIAL & Emirates websites.

The flight landed at 3-04 Am on the BIAL website, so time to leave for the Airport. 3-10, departure from home.

Kalyan Nagar - ORR - Hebbal Flyover - BIAL journey took 32 minutes. Parked at P2, close to the Bus Bay.

6 minutes wait at the arrival gate before I saw my N coming out of customs.

Return Journey, same route took 37 minutes [probably on account of a few extra road humps].

This route to the BIAL is well lit and pleasant to travel.

My earlier journey to the BIAL between 4PM and 7PM had taken about 57 minutes and 49 minutes to & fro.

cheers:
Old 8th June 2008, 10:24   #169
BHPian

At the BIAL right now. I boarded the BIAS-6 bus from ITPL main gate at 8:15 am. Reached the airport bus parking at 9:15 am. No traffic on the way.

The buses later in the day would take close to 1:30 hours, I suppose. Flying back to Pune in an hour's time. Signing off now.
Old 8th June 2008, 21:14   #170
Senior - BHPian

I got this as a forward with regard to the Airlift service; seems to have been written by someone who did some analysis (credits to that person):

1. This is NOT door-step service, unlike taxi. It has specific pick-up/dropdown points, so it needs to be compared to BIA shuttle service (i.e. Bus), NOT to taxi. They charge Rs 100/- for door-step pickup/drop.

2. We need to arrange our self to reach that pickup point or from that point to home which would certainly be an extra effort and expense.

3. It’s a six-seater so it may not wait for you if you are late by 5-10 minutes because of dependency of other 5 passengers. If they do wait, then imagine situation when you are among the other 5 inside and getting late due to somebody else.

4. More over luggage above 20 KGs is charged somewhere around 70/- Rs per kg. Which too much considering if one has to go out of India 40-50 kg is usual. This hot-shock happened with somebody where he paid 1400 Rs

5. Very few people travel alone. For 2 travelers, it would be 600/-. As per the mail, taxi charges 700/-

6. Considering above points, we should compare this service to the new BIAL Bus Service, NOT taxi. So, you end up paying around 150/- for LCD J. (Bus charges around 150/- for within city limits). Even these shuttle busses are with AC.

7. For one trip from any place to Airport they are charging Rs. 1800/- (6 person X 300 per head), which is too far expensive for the service offered.

8. A little investigation and awareness of air travelers can certainly make a difference and probably force them to reduce the price.
Old 9th June 2008, 09:58   #171
BHPian

I came in on Malaysian Airlines last Tue night / Wed morning. Overall experience was good.

a. Airport looks a touch small from the runway - maybe I was expecting a huge airport!
b. Immigration was quick, but after you see the immigration at other airports around the world, some things jar - not even a 'hello' or a greeting. No uniforms. Most of the immigration staff looked like they came to some party!
c. Baggage came out in 20 mins flat - though after some confusion of carousel 3 or 6
d. Taxi (Meru) was easy to get and to my surprise the driver explained the charges, told me he's starting the meter and belted up before he started. Since I am a local and was very curious about the taxi service, I found out some info.

The car is owned by Meru and leased to the driver. Every day, he has to give Meru Rs 600 + Rs 200 for every pickup from the airport. Maintenance is taken care of my Meru, with the driver having to pick up fuel expenses. The driver was saying it works pretty well from an economic standpoint if he gets 3 trips per day.

From BIAL to JP Nagar I phase, total distance was 44.70 km and cost Rs 671.

Overall, I think the airport, taxi service and bus services can only improve from here. A good beginning has been made and hope it becomes world class soon!
Old 9th June 2008, 11:49   #172
BHPian

I would vouch for the BIAS bus service. I think they cater to most routes from the BIAL to different parts of the city. With time, they would increase the frequency as well. The bus tickets are valid for 3 hours, so if u miss one bus, you can hop onto the next one. The bus staff is polite and courteous (I found this on two occasions). The routes are well-defined and bookings can be done online, Flights - Via

The airport is well managed, properly signed. No confusion whatsoever. A good beginning and hope to see it like this and even better from hereon.
Old 11th June 2008, 23:21   #173
Senior - BHPian

I am to fly by 8.30pm at Bangy and intend to stay near Langford town hotel.

What should I do? Book a cab? or BMTC? And any idea about hotels near by?
Old 12th June 2008, 06:46   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

JKD, your choices are
  • If you take the BUS, you'll have to walk / take alternate transport from MG Road. (Thats the closest stop) [Cost = 100 + 50]
  • Cab from BIAL would get you all the way to your destination.[cost ~ 700]
Personally I would prefer the 1st option.
cheers:
Old 12th June 2008, 07:05   #175
BHPian

Bangalore Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Hi JK,

If you don't have much luggage. Try the Bus and enjoy the experience.

In case you are not sure how to go about, here are the steps.

1. Login to Flights - Via

2. Select Buses and Select Airport Transfers in the Search Box
(Currently we are also providing transfer from Delhi Airport to Punjab on Indo Canadian Transport Buses)

3. Select Bangalore International Airport as source or if booking to Airport select the Source
as the nearest pick up point in the city.

4. Search for Buses for the date of travel.

5. Select the Bus from the list of buses shown. You can also see pickup points and fares.

6. Select the Seat of your Choice.

7. Use your VISA/Mastercard Credit Card to make the payment confirm the transfer.

8. Print the voucher.

Important Instructions

1. Please carry the print-out of the Voucher to the Pickup point and present it to the Conductor while Boarding the Bus.

2. In case you get delayed at the airport or to reach the pick up point and miss the bus, the same ticket shall be valid for up to 3 hours so that he can board the next subsequent bus. The seat though is not guaranteed while boarding the next bus.

3. Tickets are non-cancellable and non-refundable

Hope this helps

Last edited by Fillmore : 12th June 2008 at 07:06. Reason: incorrect formatting tags were added
Old 15th June 2008, 21:16   #176
Team-BHP Support

Went to Hyderabad for a party and back.

I drove and left the car overnight, Cost Rs 350. Worth it if there are two of you. Note - carry an umbrella as it is a long exposed walk. also car will be covered in dust. Cover it but ensure cover is tied down,

First time I am using the airport as a traveller. It is small, stark and boring although better than HAL. Hyderabad is much more interesting, it is bigger and more attractive with proper luggage belts.

However access roads of Bangalore a better and three lanes, Hyderabad are all two lane although a direct overhead road is coming up
Old 15th June 2008, 22:42   #177
BHPian

Drove to BIAL from Ramamurthy Nagar on late Friday night. Road surface is good. Cat eyes really help in keeping the lane. But i'd say the road at night is dangerous. There are road humps which are not clearly marked. When will the authorities realize that road signs are part of road construction and safety? Imagine a good surface with 3 lanes and a road hump with no / at least not clearly visible warning.....a sure recipe for disaster.

Then there are the absolutely idiotic and poorly lit crossings / intersections. The intersections are as wide as a football field and you can imagine the traffic flow in such a scenario.

Then there are the MORONS.....they're everywhere. They might be either following you or coming in the opposite direction. They ALL drive on High Beams...and they do a very good job in blinding you. May they get blinded by another moron and crash into a tree somewhere. When will their "Head"-lights get brighter?

Once we entered the BIAL road, we came across many circles with no proper signs. A simple one liner board would've made a difference. (It looks like the same guy who does our road signs). Nobody should need to guess anything.

At the airport, parking wasn't a problem...at least at midnight. Airport looked good, huge. Did not enter the airport. Cabbies were zipping inside the airport at high speeds. Something bad is waiting to happen. Enjoyed the drive.....but those MORONS!

-- Torqy
Old 16th June 2008, 15:54   #178
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
There are road humps which are not clearly marked. When will the authorities realize that road signs are part of road construction and safety? Imagine a good surface with 3 lanes and a road hump with no / at least not clearly visible warning.....a sure recipe for disaster.
They are marked, slightly differently. You will see 2 signs saying "30" one after the other at each of these road humps except for one near some old fort ruin.

If you are doing more than 30 after reading those signs, then its your fault
Old 16th June 2008, 16:03   #179
Team-BHP Support

Another rant
In Hyderabad, you walk out, jump into a cab and get going.
In BIAL, you walk out, and out, and out, into the rain before you get to the cab line and plenty of those "taxi bekaa" folks around!
Old 16th June 2008, 16:48   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
They are marked, slightly differently. You will see 2 signs saying "30" one after the other at each of these road humps except for one near some old fort ruin.

If you are doing more than 30 after reading those signs, then its your fault
If there are PROPER signs and if they are NOT clearly visible at night, are they PROPER? ( I have normal eye sight and don't wear glasses. )

They should be visible in low beam...(not just for morons in High beams)...they should be in fluorescent paint.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks