Team-BHP - Bengaluru International Airport
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Bengaluru International Airport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/39910-bengaluru-international-airport-18.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMaruru (Post 4158749)
I would be traveling from JFK > AUH(Abu Dhabi) > BLR. Would I be considered as passenger from gulf state, even when it was for a connecting flight.

All, I am asking for is.. like am carrying 2 huge pioneer bookshelves in my check-in bags.. and am worried it might catch their attention and lead to unnecessary hassles. I would NOT be having a single gram of gold in my baggage OR on myself.

You might be flagged. Produce your relevant invoices, be open and honest and you have nothing to fear. They are pretty reasonable

Made the mistake of opting for Uber from airport last Friday around midnight since the regular airport taxi counter was crowded. Since I was travelling alone, had opted for Uber Go. It took around 30 minutes of waiting in queue for getting the taxi assigned, partly due to shortage of taxis and partly due to the way things were managed.

After that, taxi drivers decides to take the new route and join Hennur, at that time of the night I felt even after avoiding the toll, there was no time nor money saved since the road conditions was bad.

Anyway, the cab cost was around 980 for airport to HSR layout. The onward trip I took on previous saturday night from home to airport in Meru cab had costed 1271. This was via toll road / Hebbal and around 08.30 PM on a Saturday.

Interestingly both onward and return journey took the same time, hence goes to prove that if you are driving your own vehicle it make sense to stick to Hebbal route if going in non peak time.

Also, wanted to check the one way self drive option by Drivezy. At around 600 + tolls it was coming as the cheapest option. However, there was some issue with my license getting registered with them, hence had to drop that plan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpksuhas (Post 4677810)
Made the mistake of opting for Uber from airport last Friday around midnight since the regular airport taxi counter was crowded. Since I was travelling alone, had opted for Uber Go. It took around 30 minutes of waiting in queue for getting the taxi assigned, partly due to shortage of taxis and partly due to the way things were managed.

Friday before last, I was unable to get an Uber at around 8pm. The app showed 30 min wait and the guy at the Uber pickup said very few cars are coming. Went back and opted for the Airport taxi which again took 15-20 min of wait due to the crowd.

It is quite disappointing that more than 10 years after opening, KIAL still does not have a metro or a rail link and has only the Vayu Vajra BMTC as a public transport option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 4677833)
Friday before last, I was unable to get an Uber at around 8pm. The app showed 30 min wait and the guy at the Uber pickup said very few cars are coming. Went back and opted for the Airport taxi which again took 15-20 min of wait due to the crowd.

Time is money for the Uber folks, they normally get a token when they enter the hold area. One driver told me that if the token is >100, they would prefer to head towards Cytecare Hospital or Yelahanka and pick up a fare. My friend who works in Cytecare hospital lives in the city centre, finds it easier to get a taxi from the hospital to town than vice versa

Quote:

It is quite disappointing that more than 10 years after opening, KIAL still does not have a metro or a rail link and has only the Vayu Vajra BMTC as a public transport option.

BMTC is a reliable option and one which I regularly use even when I have luggage.

An interesting mention which I came across few weeks back in an article online about US airports was that they prefer to have cabs instead of metro / rail link. The reason being that they get more revenue from parking charges than any single non flight revenue. This could be the true for Indian context too.

I would be traveling out of Bangalore on Tuesday early morning and return Thursday late night. Is it okay and safe to park my car at the long term parking? Has anyone tried this recently? Any pointers would be useful. Cab would charge 2000 for to and fro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC (Post 4706126)
I would be traveling out of Bangalore on Tuesday early morning and return Thursday late night. Is it okay and safe to park my car at the long term parking? Has anyone tried this recently? Any pointers would be useful. Cab would charge 2000 for to and fro.

Long term parking works fine for me. Used it on 25th November for a little over a day. Cost me 600 rupees. 500 for day 1 and 100 for the extra couple of hours. If you're gonna use it for 3 days, it will cost you 1100.

Quote:

Agree with your comment. Just wanted to add that it is the State Government's failure in it's entirety due to utter incompetence, indifference to overall strategic plans and highly successful lobbying by the private transport mafia.

The private concessionaires running KIAL (erstwhile GVK/Zurich Airports & now Fairfax) have always had both the Indian Railways rail link ('Airport Halt' adjacent to the Sadahalli toll area) & Metro/High Speed Rail (HSR) stations (underground adjacent to the current BMTC terminal) in both the original & revised Master Plans.

Having excellent transport to the terminal buildings is only part of the plan to grow an airport. The bigger picture is to develop an "Aerotropolis" around KIAL much as IGIA/RGIA is developing. KIADB is also developing a huge parcel of land beyond KIAL, so it was pure folly of the GoK to neglect the HSR scheme all these years :Frustrati

With the additional runway, Bengaluru airport will be the second busiest airport in the country in the coming year after Delhi. Only if going to and fro to the airport was easier !

They dont plan when there is lot of empty land. Most land would have been taken by influential people and then they keep realigning the roads and rail which takes too much time.

Wondering as to how bad is the flooding situation near, around and in BIAL ? Seen many news reports of there being knee-deep water and people forced to travel on tractor pulled trolleys to get to terminals. Does it continue to be that bad ? Is it a bad idea to take one's own car to BIAL under these circumstances ? Would appreciate if anyone could share very recent updates from yesterday or today.

Thanks.

Last night, went to receive my wife. The normal abnormal parking lot was closed. In the rain, was told parking was "Stright Alli" At "Alli", all I see are Project Office boards. I do see that parking exit and some clueless people stuck and reversing.

Take another round - clueless, go to arrivals to find an approach, absolutely clueless! Another round, find a more senior person at the entrance. I ask him, again, he replies "Stright".

"But it is the Project Office!"

"That is the parking!"

"Duh" - no signboards

Parked - they have a shuttle but to drop you at departures. Later saw it drive through arrivals and never dropped. We went to the departure area and picked up the bus again.

Had gone to pick up inlaws a few days back at the Bangalore airport, couldnt find a parking spot in the designated areas. Had to circle twice to come for pick at Arrivals. Conversing with an attendant in local language also didnt help. My bad luck was everytime I halted there was a towing vehicle right behind me announcing on mic to clear off.

HI Guys,
Is it safe and hassle free to park My Car for 7 to 8 days in Bangalore International Airport?
I don't mind paying for it. But, it must be safe, well maintained place.
Also, are there clear singes, directions to easily find the parking lot?
Any assistance can be got at the time of parking?

The Bangalore Airport Hand baggage security screening is amongst the worst ever. The conveyor belt tray system does not work efficiently at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemant_Joshi (Post 5410861)
HI Guys,
Is it safe and hassle free to park My Car for 7 to 8 days in Bangalore International Airport?
I don't mind paying for it. But, it must be safe, well maintained place.
Also, are there clear singes, directions to easily find the parking lot?
Any assistance can be got at the time of parking?

I have parked for 5 days and the car does turn out to be dusty by the time you are back. Some people carefully cover it too but I am not sure how safe that is (for the cover). You cannot leave the premises without the parking ticket, so please DO NOT leave the parking ticket in the car when you fly out. Common sense, but stating the obvious. General tendency will be to park under the few trees there for shade; avoid it. The car could be hit by a bird poop storm by the time you are back. Do not park close to the path way to avoid trolleys mis-balancing on to the car. Parking closer to busy places is a good way to avoid intended mishaps like the washroom, entry, exit etc. I would advice to not park too far into no man's land. Regarding finding it, the easiest way is to open google map, drop a pin, copy the location and save it.