Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th March 2017, 09:07   #256
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: B'lore Customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I would be traveling from JFK > AUH(Abu Dhabi) > BLR. Would I be considered as passenger from gulf state, even when it was for a connecting flight.

All, I am asking for is.. like am carrying 2 huge pioneer bookshelves in my check-in bags.. and am worried it might catch their attention and lead to unnecessary hassles. I would NOT be having a single gram of gold in my baggage OR on myself.
You might be flagged. Produce your relevant invoices, be open and honest and you have nothing to fear. They are pretty reasonable
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2019, 14:53   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bengaluru International Airport

Made the mistake of opting for Uber from airport last Friday around midnight since the regular airport taxi counter was crowded. Since I was travelling alone, had opted for Uber Go. It took around 30 minutes of waiting in queue for getting the taxi assigned, partly due to shortage of taxis and partly due to the way things were managed.

After that, taxi drivers decides to take the new route and join Hennur, at that time of the night I felt even after avoiding the toll, there was no time nor money saved since the road conditions was bad.

Anyway, the cab cost was around 980 for airport to HSR layout. The onward trip I took on previous saturday night from home to airport in Meru cab had costed 1271. This was via toll road / Hebbal and around 08.30 PM on a Saturday.

Interestingly both onward and return journey took the same time, hence goes to prove that if you are driving your own vehicle it make sense to stick to Hebbal route if going in non peak time.

Also, wanted to check the one way self drive option by Drivezy. At around 600 + tolls it was coming as the cheapest option. However, there was some issue with my license getting registered with them, hence had to drop that plan.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2019, 16:24   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Made the mistake of opting for Uber from airport last Friday around midnight since the regular airport taxi counter was crowded. Since I was travelling alone, had opted for Uber Go. It took around 30 minutes of waiting in queue for getting the taxi assigned, partly due to shortage of taxis and partly due to the way things were managed.
Friday before last, I was unable to get an Uber at around 8pm. The app showed 30 min wait and the guy at the Uber pickup said very few cars are coming. Went back and opted for the Airport taxi which again took 15-20 min of wait due to the crowd.

It is quite disappointing that more than 10 years after opening, KIAL still does not have a metro or a rail link and has only the Vayu Vajra BMTC as a public transport option.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd October 2019 at 18:36. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2019, 18:30   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Friday before last, I was unable to get an Uber at around 8pm. The app showed 30 min wait and the guy at the Uber pickup said very few cars are coming. Went back and opted for the Airport taxi which again took 15-20 min of wait due to the crowd.

Time is money for the Uber folks, they normally get a token when they enter the hold area. One driver told me that if the token is >100, they would prefer to head towards Cytecare Hospital or Yelahanka and pick up a fare. My friend who works in Cytecare hospital lives in the city centre, finds it easier to get a taxi from the hospital to town than vice versa
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2019, 18:18   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
It is quite disappointing that more than 10 years after opening, KIAL still does not have a metro or a rail link and has only the Vayu Vajra BMTC as a public transport option.
BMTC is a reliable option and one which I regularly use even when I have luggage.

An interesting mention which I came across few weeks back in an article online about US airports was that they prefer to have cabs instead of metro / rail link. The reason being that they get more revenue from parking charges than any single non flight revenue. This could be the true for Indian context too.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote