Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2008, 17:02   #61
Senior - BHPian

Now the EC is putting in their spanner stating that after an elected govt is put in, then only the airport can be opened. This is based on the article in today's TOI.

Why are they doing this in all the projects which Guv is taking decision and deciding to go ahead? First it was NICE and now it is BIAL. God knows what will be next?
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:08   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Looking at the parking map of BIAL, i wonder where does the Volvo busses stop to pick up and drop guests ? Any ideas ?
Dude in the map, there is a place marked as A/C AIRPORT SHUTTLE SERVICE, next to the spot marked as Parking office.
cheers:
Old 24th May 2008, 07:34   #63
BHPian

Finally Operational

Finally opened. A milestone for Bangalore

any first impressions from TBHPians?
Old 24th May 2008, 07:46   #64
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Atlast
I am sure that we will ahve first impression from our guys today....
I am taking flight tomorrow, so will try to post it on Tuesday.
Old 25th May 2008, 10:25   #65
BHPian

The place seems to be running at full capacity already, and i thought we are moving to a bigger airport. Had to run around a little for the parking too.
Old 25th May 2008, 19:51   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
The place seems to be running at full capacity already, and i thought we are moving to a bigger airport. Had to run around a little for the parking too.
Oops, the Govt now has a good case to retain HAL Airport for atleast some of the domestic flights.
Old 25th May 2008, 20:58   #67
Team-BHP Support

My neighbour was telling us about her experience. Not enough people to man the aerobridges. very few MERU cabs, if there were, all driven by mumbaiya's who have no idea about the routes. Can understand why the the KRV goons are uptight.

Only thing that ran efficiently were the BMTC Volvo buses
Old 25th May 2008, 21:01   #68
Team-BHP Support

Leaving for BIAL in another half hour. Air france to CDG. Will post about experience from airport while waiting.
Old 25th May 2008, 22:01   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Oops, the Govt now has a good case to retain HAL Airport for atleast some of the domestic flights.
What i didn't understand is this crowd. I thought we were moving to a big airport. But the whole place was still full of people, though not as badly crowded as the HAL one.

Taxi wallas still crowding the arrival longue with those name boards. People will still struggle to find thier name in that crowd.

Another thing is this road that leads upto the airport from highway. It is neatly done. Except for few blind, un-marked road blocks. Also, people are still parking their cars on the road that leads to the airport, just like they do in HAL. Guess this is to avoid the parking charges.

And then, this air-deccan which is supposed to bring in my in-laws, didn't even leave bangalore.
Old 26th May 2008, 06:46   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Agreed. I was in airport for my SQ. You know, the flight was delayed initially (finally 1.5hrs) 30min due to "Airport Congestion". I dont expect a new Airport which is designed to take more than "atleast" HAL can to behave like this.

Parking mess is no way different than our HAL. Only thing is its huge. but not yet organised properly. May take some time. The actual place is huge but the reach and getting tickets etc needs to improve a lot.

Travel Exp: I started @5pm from C.V.Raman Nagar and reached Airport @6:15pm. Not bad. May be because it was a Sunday. I do see a lot of Airport buses plying with fully crowded people. Checked with a Meeru cab guy on the way. The bill comes to around 1000 bucks from Airport to City. There goes the reason for crowded buses.

Check-in Exp: i expected a faster move. But disappointed. Only welcoming move is, they have a Signle Queue and divert it at the exit to each of the counter. So, no worry that "Always the other Queue moves faster than mine!!!". The check-in Guys are mostly new. And you know about the Airlines software. Its the most user unfriendly (for common persons!!!) interface. He was typing all the sequance wrongly and a lady officer was assisting him (spoon feeding). So, the check-in time may improve after a month or so I guess. Damn, these printers get stuck for EACH baggage tag he prints.

Immgration exp: Good to see so many counters. Its almost free of crowds. Welcoming point.

Security exp: No +ve but one -ve. usually they use to have some cabin baggage tag in here too for the people who missed it while check-in. But they dont have it and I could see poor people running back to the check-in counter and crossing the Immigration just for this Tag.

Airport exp: They said Wi-Fi is free. Atleast I was unable to get connnected. It connects, but always says not able to obtain IP address. Anyway, hope will eb set soon. One of the most bad things I noticed was the toilet. The toilets are designed in such a way that anyone opens the door, will make it fully visible of the person doing their "duty" inside. Yes, the door is just in straight to the basins!!! This is so awkward in my opinion.

Power went off for a segment about 15min around Gate 20. No power in Toilets and mess around.

I should also comment about the ambience they have done. Its quite good. The person who completes the security formalities should LAND in the Liquor shop whether he likes or not.

The Kingfisher Sports bar is good. I saw Mr.Brunner and his collegues having "Heiniken" there in Kingfisher sports bar. Point for Mr. Mallaya to note! They also have Pizza hut in departure terminal.

The airport looks good and huge. Just these power and other utilities should work as it is suppose to work.

Next thing is, you get NOTHING free(may be jsut Wi-Fi?). Yes, atleast I have never even seen water for drinking. Dont tell me toilet usage is free!!!

I do have some photos, but could not upload now. I am typing for the Singapore airport lounge. So, pics will be uploaded soon in a day or 2.
Old 26th May 2008, 07:52   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
mjothi : The Kingfisher Sports bar is good. I saw Mr.Brunner and his collegues having "Heiniken" there in Kingfisher sports bar. Point for Mr. Mallaya to note! .
For him to buy Heiniken ?
Old 26th May 2008, 08:28   #72
BHPian

I was there yesterday afternoon for a pick up. Quite impressive setup.
The first thing you notice is cleanliness. Our airports are not supposed to be like that. Maybe given time, we'll achieve the HAL level.

A lot of airport staff who seem to be running around all the time. God knows for what? maybe part of their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Parking mess is no way different than our HAL. Only thing is its huge. but not yet organised properly. May take some time. The actual place is huge but the reach and getting tickets etc needs to improve a lot.
Its the people who are not using it in an organised way. Our people always want the closest / easiest parking space possible. As a result there is a huge chaos at the parking lot. Every corner there was a car backing out or waiting in the way. No one seems to be in the mood for an extra step. (or two)

Quote:
The Kingfisher Sports bar is good. I saw Mr.Brunner and his collegues having "Heiniken" there in Kingfisher sports bar. Point for Mr. Mallaya to note! They also have Pizza hut in departure terminal.
KF is running the bar, but I don't think even Mallya is foolish enough to sell only KF or UB products. I suppose he has to carry a variety of brands to cater to everyone. cheers:

Quote:
Next thing is, you get NOTHING free(may be jsut Wi-Fi?). Yes, atleast I have never even seen water for drinking. Dont tell me toilet usage is free!!!
Like most of the other Asian airports, there might be free drinking water available in the most hidden corner of the Airport.

Some one please post the location once found.
Old 26th May 2008, 09:32   #73
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
You will have to understand what Pune airport is like first to understand the equation of air travel from Pune to Bangalore !! The damn place was closed for one month and now open with following restrictions:

* No civilian flights will be allowed from 8 am to 10.30 am, a time slot that has been reserved as a “green period for low-level flying fighter planes of Indian Air Force.”

* Shutdown every Saturday from 11 am to 5 pm for routine maintenance

Once you dodge all these restrictions, you will probably land up in B'lore in the middle of the day or not at all !! After that, you will have to shell out extra money for the taxi if you need to reach your destination in less than 3 hours !!

Bus journey is done mostly at night, so you practically waste less time as you wont be travelling during the day time.
I thought the Airport was done to Redo / improve the Runway and the Apron Area

Was in Pune over the weekend and the Airport was very much open to air traffic during the day... Atleast till mid noon...
Old 26th May 2008, 10:57   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For him to buy Heiniken ?
He will be selling Heineken in India - there have been talks as recently as last month.

Congrats Bangalore - New Airport, New Government. Arrey wah!

PS: Bengaluru Intnl Airport sounds funny. It should either be Bangalore Intnl Airport or Bengaluru Intnationalu Airportu.
Old 26th May 2008, 11:51   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Congrats Bangalore - New Airport, New Government. Arrey wah!
Seems like good times are ahead, with a relatively stable government in place.

Next step will be the execution/completion of NICE.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks