Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2008, 19:08   #1
BHPian

Bengaluru International Airport

The new Bengaluru International Airport will commence operations on Friday, May 23, 2008 (00:01 hours of May 23). All flights landing and departing after midnight will operate from the new airport and flights arriving before midnight (on May 22, 2008) and departing after midnight will also operate from the new airport.

As the date fast approaches, we would like to give you some insights into the whole new passenger experience that awaits you.

Departure from Bengaluru International Airport

Please find information on the location of the airport and the various means of transport how to get there in the attached materials. Once you arrived at the airport, enter the check in hall, which is common for domestic and international passengers. There are 53 Check In Counters and 18 self check in machines. There is no need to screen your bag before check in.

Once you have checked in, follow the domestic and international departure gate signs on the first floor and proceed through security. Post security check you have on offer a wide array of retail and food & beverage offerings. There are also comfortable lounges for first and business class passengers. Free Wi-Fi Internet is also available for those carrying their laptops.

Arrival at Bengaluru International Airport

The airport is equipped with adequate number of immigration counters and baggage carousels for quick baggage retrieval. A large duty free shop is also located in the baggage claim area.

The following means of transport are available from day one:
  • AC Volvo Buses operated by BMTC to key destinations in the city (Indicative Price to MG Road: Rs. 120)
  • Reliable professional taxi services operated by MERU and Easycabs, with a metered fare (Indicative Rate to MG Road: Rs. 600)
  • Premium Limousine Cars operated by Hertz and Akbar Travels – cars with drivers as well as self driven cars are available.
Bengaluru International Airport-landmarkmap.jpg

Bengaluru International Airport-parking-map-final.jpg

Bengaluru International Airport-transportation-map-final.jpg
cheers:
eclectix 1st is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2008, 19:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful bit of information bro. Summed up really well and will benefit a lot of people.

So will the existing airport be rendered defunct? What about flights landing and departing before midnight? Will they use the existing one or the new international airport?

Last edited by n_aditya : 20th May 2008 at 19:14.
Old 20th May 2008, 19:14   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Wonderful bit of information bro. Summed up really well and will benefit a lot of people.

So will the existing airport be rendered defunct?
YES

You can use HAL airport only if you have your own bird.

cheers:
Old 20th May 2008, 19:19   #4
Team-BHP Support

I will be there at 5.30am to pick up my mother. Am going for the curiosity factor
Old 20th May 2008, 19:20   #5
BANNED

Its 300 for 1st day and 200 for subsequent days.

It works out cheaper for upto 3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
Parking charges at Rs 200 per day and Taxi charges at Rs 600 to city center (more for southern/eastern suburbs) will discourage people from driving down / hiring cab to BIAL.

there was a mention of Porter charges of Rs 75 (upto 3 luggages) and Rs 25 per luggage. Does this mean trolleys will not be available?
Isn't it waived off ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
The exit tax / user fee of Rs1070/- really bothers me :( Guess it has to be in place though.
Some info:
Quote:
Commencement of Commercial Operations at new Bangalore International Airport
  1. New Bangalore International Airport will be operational from May 23, 2008
  2. All flights scheduled to depart after 00:01 hours (local time) of May 23, 2008 will operate from the new Bangalore International Airport.
  3. All flights that have a departure after 00:01 hours (local time) of May 23, 2008 from BIAL are accepted for landing at the new Bangalore International Airport on May 22, 2008
  4. All flights that have a departure until 23:59 hours (local time) of May 22, 2008 will be operated from HAL airport (Current airport)
From E-City, distance is 66Km, Volvo fare is Rs 200/- and its takes 2:45 hrs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
From the electronic city area at peak time, the time taken to drive to Chennai airport and the new BIAL airport is almost same. Considering the user fee of Rs 1000+ per head in BIAL, Chennai seems a better option if the number of travelers is at least 3 !!

Last edited by ajmat : 20th May 2008 at 19:54.
Old 20th May 2008, 19:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

All the BMTC buses for Airport starts from 6AM to Max of 6PM. SO, how many int. flights depart or arrive in this time? Almost all International flights are after 9 and LH is like 2AM in eary morning (or late midnight!!!!)

So, looks like these buses are mostly got DOmestic flights
Old 20th May 2008, 19:55   #7
BHPian

See the blog below for a first hand report

Bangalore Aviation
Old 20th May 2008, 20:00   #8
BHPian

Thanks a million for that most informative post my friend. My heart leapt when I read overnight parking and long term parking. I have no intention of spending lots of money to get to and from the airport!! One question, how safe will the car be if it is parked for 4-5 days?

Cheers!
Old 20th May 2008, 20:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
All the BMTC buses for Airport starts from 6AM to Max of 6PM. SO, how many int. flights depart or arrive in this time? Almost all International flights are after 9 and LH is like 2AM in eary morning (or late midnight!!!!)

I guess the doc says 6:00 to 5:xx AM not PM. So, the service should be available round the clock.
Old 20th May 2008, 20:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

06:00 Hrs is always AM, as per the document buses should be available 24 hrs

Last edited by bharatbs : 20th May 2008 at 20:31.
Old 20th May 2008, 20:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys. I mistook the 24hrs format. I was about to edit but seems the time limit exceeded.
Sorry again.
Old 20th May 2008, 20:43   #12
BANNED

Great informative thread,

Man you've done a good ground work on it, thanks.

Its a matter of pride that this is happening but really disheartening to see till today the traffic towards the Airport is not been managed properly. I take the MG road-Raj Bhavan-Golf Course-Mekhri Circle- CBI -Hebbal Flyover route every day back home.

To travel this 20 kms of strecth i need a minimum of 1 hr and 20 mins and think about the airport 10 kms away from here.
Even tough there are volvo services.
God knows how many of people going to miss more and more flights because of such bad infrastructure.

Bengaluru pls wake up.
Old 20th May 2008, 20:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Got this in the email today. Pretty useful info. My folks will be landing at the new airport next month,so they'll be in for a new experience.
Old 20th May 2008, 21:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Eclectix_1st,

What is the source of this document? Seems to word-to-word of an official communication of a particular IT company in Bangalore.

Please do give due credits to the person who might have taken the effort!
Old 20th May 2008, 21:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Eclectix_1st,

What is the source of this document? Seems to word-to-word of an official communication of a particular IT company in Bangalore.

Please do give due credits to the person who might have taken the effort!
This is probably a template that got sent to several companies who in turn probably forwarded it to their employees.

Most Viewed