Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:43   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Icouldn't agree more. All of us drive nice cars and live in nice houses because we work hard/ our parents worked hard. Unless you cheated someone, there is no reason to be ashamed of what you have.

Do charity because others don't have much. Not because you have a lot.
perfectly said, no one could have said it better
Old 22nd May 2008, 21:04   #17
BHPian

Great thought Netchef. I am not sure if floating a fund is a feasible idea.

Meanwhile, I have been using Give India (Give India - Donate online to certified Indian charities & NGOs. Help save a life by supporting children, disabled, education, elderly, employment, environment, health, human rights, women, youth.) to support the causes closest to me. Visit the website and read through, it is indeed an organization you can trust and choose your own cause and NGO to utilize your donation. In fact, a lot of leading corporations in India have enrolled for their payroll giving programs, thereby giving their employees to directly donate a part of their salaries every month. You decide the amount, the cause and the NGO. Your company's payroll department processes it for you.

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 22nd May 2008 at 21:06.
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:01   #18
BHPian

Sam, agree with your post completely. It is also better to teach a beggar how to work rather than feeding him for a day. However, the former is much tougher than the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
2) The best charity is the one done quietly with the least fuss.
We have a wonderful saying in Hindi translated as, when you give something, it should be so quiet that the other hand shouldn't know what the other hand did.
This is a verse in the Bible. Jesus's sermon on the mount, Matthew Chapter 6, Verse 3.

But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:15   #19
BHPian

Noble thought

Netchef, a very noble thought. And also I agree with Sam.

I've PMd you with something that might interest you.

cheers:
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

@Netchef. First a great thanks for such a broad thinking.
But. I agree with sam here.
So, conclusion is, your thread should remind about our human duties and Sam's formula should come into picture.
Together (even in distant palces...) we can make the difference..
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:30   #21
BHPian

To begin with You can donate to some of the NGOs that work for a specific cause like taking care of orphans or old and destitute.
i contribute towards an organization called "Udavum Karangal" (Helping Hands) in Chennai for educating and food/medical care for a child. there are many such NGOs doing reasonably good work for the society.
You can encourage your company/friends to contribute towards making the Government schools better. (my company does that for some schools around Bangalore with contributions from employees). Donating clothes/footwear/ school bags and books+notebooks is one way to ensure that your money is not misused.
Old 25th May 2008, 02:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Id rather do somethign myself than just contribute money. I know that the money would probably do a better job than me but Id like to actually be more involved than just writing a cheque which doesnt really take much.

IMO if we do something as a forum we should do something car related, helping out accident victims, reporting potholes around the city, spreading awareness about car safety, or maybe even taking a bunch of streetkids for a ride in an open top bus in Mumbai or something like that. It doesnt have to be something mainstream and IMO even if you give someone a superfun day that will bring a smile to his or her face everytime they think about it, its as good as any other charitable act.

We could even organize a small AutoX during the monsoons and spend the profits on doing something nice for someone though I guess we should start with something small.

Im doing pretty much nothing for the next few months and so if anyone is planning anything Id be glad to help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks