Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

"The Law of the Garbage Truck"

Just got this as a mail forward, something to think about.

How often do you let other people's nonsense change your mood?

Do you let a bad driver, rude waiter, curt boss, or an insensitive employee ruin your day? However, the mark of a successful person is how quickly one can get back their focus on what's important.

David J. Pollay explains his story in this way….

Sixteen years ago I learned this lesson. I learned it in the back of a New York City taxi cab.

Here's what happened……………
I hopped in a taxi, and we took off for Grand Central Station. We were driving in the right lane when, all of a sudden, a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his breaks, skidded, and missed the other car's back end by just inches!

The driver of the other car, the guy who almost caused a big accident, whipped his head around and he started yelling bad words at us. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean…he was friendly. So, I said, "Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!"

And this is when my taxi driver told me what I now call,The Law of the Garbage Truck"

"Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it. And if you let them, they'll dump it on you. When someone wants to dump on you, don't take it personally. You just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. You'll be happy you did." I started thinking, how often do I let Garbage Trucks run right over me? And how often do I take their garbage and spread it to other people: at work, at home, on the streets? It was that day I said, "I'm not going to do it anymore."

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets.

Love the people who treat you right. Forget about the ones who don't.

Believe that everything happens for a reason. Never let the garbage truck run over you…
speedmiester is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good one,

Here are a few websites which have some more info on this basically some more content which was skipped in the chain mail

http://www.northstarwriters.com/djp025.htm

” Beware of Garbage Trucks!â„¢ - The Law of the Garbage Truckâ„¢ " on Positive Psychology News Daily
Old 24th May 2008, 15:54   #3
BHPian

Hope I get the Strength to Practice such....!

Well said:
Hope I get the Strength to Practice such....!
I have realized this: If I wear a helmet and drive a bike, and because it is tedious to remove it and fight, I move on...

2. When I drive with the A/C on and glass rolled up, I'm peaceful, coz I wont have the time to shout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post

Do you let a bad driver, rude waiter, curt boss, or an insensitive employee ruin your day? However, the mark of a successful person is how quickly one can get back their focus on what's important.

Sixteen years ago I learned this lesson. I learned it in the back of a New York City taxi cab.

I hopped in a taxi, and we took off for Grand Central Station. We were driving in the right lane when, all of a sudden, a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his breaks, skidded, and missed the other car's back end by just inches!

The driver of the other car, the guy who almost caused a big accident, whipped his head around and he started yelling bad words at us. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean…he was friendly. So, I said, "Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!"

And this is when my taxi driver told me what I now call,The Law of the Garbage Truck"

"Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it. And if you let them, they'll dump it on you. When someone wants to dump on you, don't take it personally. You just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. You'll be happy you did." I started thinking, how often do I let Garbage Trucks run right over me? And how often do I take their garbage and spread it to other people: at work, at home, on the streets? It was that day I said, "I'm not going to do it anymore."

Believe that everything happens for a reason. Never let the garbage truck run over you…
Old 24th May 2008, 18:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not applicable in real life.

Quote:

You missed the garbage truck dear. In real life, things dont go like this. The things are bad, real bad. What would have happened if you hit the car that came in front of you ?

You are driving well and someone come from front and hits you. Will you still wave at him. Your colluege gets promotion because he knows how to apply butter to Boss, and you dont so you lose your pay rise. Still wave at that.
You know that your lpg cyld. is being sold to someone illegaly and you have to everytime visit the office of agency 3 times a day, make zillion calls to get one thing legally. Can you wave at him ?

The answer is NO. You managed to miss the garbage truck, or else your words would have been different as would be the different words of Taxi Driver.
Old 25th May 2008, 16:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:

Nice note, speedmiester. Thank you for sharing it with us and bringing a smile to some of us on a Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
You missed the garbage truck dear. In real life, things dont go like this. The things are bad, real bad. What would have happened if you hit the car that came in front of you ?

You are driving well and someone come from front and hits you. Will you still wave at him. Your colluege gets promotion because he knows how to apply butter to Boss, and you dont so you lose your pay rise. Still wave at that.
You know that your lpg cyld. is being sold to someone illegaly and you have to everytime visit the office of agency 3 times a day, make zillion calls to get one thing legally. Can you wave at him ?

The answer is NO.
For every truck that hits you, there will be a hundred that you miss. Its a different story whether you realise the good fortune in missing the others or not.

He may have missed the garbage truck aaggoswami, but you have missed the entire point of his message. No person or situation can get to you UNLESS you give it permission to. Its about learning to take things in your stride. Let me answer the question in one of your example situations:

Quote:
You are driving well and someone come from front and hits you. Will you still wave at him.
Maybe I won't wave at him, but neither will I get down and abuse him (verbally or physically) as many people do. Accidents aren't intentional (for the most part) and mistakes can cause damage to anyone. Even a negative situation like this does NOT entail a negative reaction. Simply exchange car numbers / insurance details, lodge the accident with the police station and let a body shop complete repairs on your car. Be polite / respectful and watch the world change around you.

Just the fact that you type on an enthusiasts community, with your free time, computer and internet connection, and after a full meal in the luxury of probably an airconditioned room, gives you a place in the top 1% of the world. Not everyone has these luxuries and we should truly be thankful for these.

Remember.....the glass is half full or half empty depending on your attitude.

Last edited by GTO - Touring : 25th May 2008 at 16:50.
GTO - Touring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2008, 17:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

My two rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post

Maybe I won't wave at him, but neither will I get down and abuse him (verbally or physically) as many people do.
The wise ones, saddhus and boddhisatvas, would say it in even stronger terms. They would say that the world we experience is exactly our mind set.

And, remember what the engineers say:

"If the glass is half full, it is over-designed."
Old 25th May 2008, 18:14   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
DirtyDan : The wise ones, saddhus and boddhisatvas, would say it in even stronger terms.
Not in stronger terms, my friend. The more realised the soul - the more subtle the communication.
Old 25th May 2008, 18:58   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a good philosophy.

Works the other way too: not to dump, as well as not to be dumped on!

Driving must be the biggest dumping opportunity life ever gives us. You just can't go around shouting at people when you don't have a car around you (uhh... I've known some bosses who though they could, I guess).

I'm quite good at not being dumped on.

Still working on not dumping!
Old 26th May 2008, 05:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

validty

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not in stronger terms, my friend. The more realised the soul - the more subtle the communication.
Condor, the opposite of "strong" is "weak", not "subtle". The opposite of "subtle" is "gross".

The logical-deductive arguments found in Samkara's Advaita Vedanta and Nagarjuna's Mulamadhyamika are impeccably strong, not weak, from the standpoint of logical validity. That some may consider them to be also subtle is not a factor in gaging their logical correctness.
Old 26th May 2008, 17:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post

For every truck that hits you, there will be a hundred that you miss. Its a different story whether you realise the good fortune in missing the others or not.

He may have missed the garbage truck aaggoswami, but you have missed the entire point of his message. No person or situation can get to you UNLESS you give it permission to. Its about learning to take things in your stride. Let me answer the question in one of your example situations:

Maybe I won't wave at him, but neither will I get down and abuse him (verbally or physically) as many people do. Accidents aren't intentional (for the most part) and mistakes can cause damage to anyone. Even a negative situation like this does NOT entail a negative reaction. Simply exchange car numbers / insurance details, lodge the accident with the police station and let a body shop complete repairs on your car. Be polite / respectful and watch the world change around you.

Just the fact that you type on an enthusiasts community, with your free time, computer and internet connection, and after a full meal in the luxury of probably an airconditioned room, gives you a place in the top 1% of the world. Not everyone has these luxuries and we should truly be thankful for these.

I sometimes wonder wheather to thank god for what he has given me, or curse because of a hell lot of troubles!

The point is clear that the person has missed the garbage truck or I would like to add, that God has blessed many humnabeings such that they will never get hit by garbage truck.

I am not one of them and thats why feel that this point "never let the garbage truck.." is not valid at least in real life.
Old 14th November 2009, 15:37   #11
BHPian

'The Law of the Garbage Truck.'

Hi Friends,

Just got this wounderful e-mail this morning. Thought to share it with you guys.
This has happend to me a couple of times & one such incident has changed me to the better.
I'm sure most of us must have gone thru the same somewhere down in life. Could share our experiences, misfortune incidents that has made you regret sooner or later and changed you to be more careful.

" One day I hopped in a taxi and we took off for the airport. We were driving in the right lane when suddenly a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his brakes, skidded, and missed the other car by just inches!
The driver of the other car whipped his head around and started yelling at us. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy.

And I mean, he was really friendly. So I asked, 'Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!

This is when my taxi driver taught me what I now call, 'The Law of the Garbage Truck.

He explained that many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it and sometimes they'll dump it on you. Don't take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on.

Don't take their garbage and spread it to other people at work, at home, or on the streets.

The bottom line is that successful people do not let garbage trucks take over their day. Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so...Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the ones who don't.

Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!

Last edited by Sha09mel : 14th November 2009 at 15:40.
Old 14th November 2009, 17:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

1) I am against this law as its for ideal world. What if they had an accident. Here the driver of taxi and taxi passenger managed to survive, hence they are able to talk ideal things. What if they had a collision ? would the words be similar ?
And this is not applicable in India. If you dont oppose, you are taken for granted.

2) A similar thread exists :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/40045-law-garbage-truck.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks