Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2008, 18:40   #751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
That looks like a stolen Mitsubishi Montero spare wheel cover... or is it not ??
Thought it is from the Mahindra Bolero. Again, just a guess.
Old 24th December 2008, 18:48   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Thought it is from the Mahindra Bolero. Again, just a guess.
Oh yes, i forgot, Mahindra has already done a Montero wheel cover copy!
Old 24th December 2008, 19:36   #753
Senior - BHPian

dude, this one is very much the bolero cover, which the safari owner has lifted off!

the montero cover is different.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 24th December 2008 at 19:39.
Old 24th December 2008, 22:47   #754
Senior - BHPian

Photos at Alapuzha and Thaneermukkam.
Attached Thumbnails
All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-dscf0852_resize.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 24th December 2008, 23:02   #755
Senior - BHPian

hi das, my native is allapuzha, i can recognize that bridge.
Old 25th December 2008, 22:17   #756
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiknov View Post
First pictures of the beast at the dealership and at the mandir, with the panditji doing his thing.
Check this space for more very soon.
All lined up to reclaim my life!
Congrats buddy for your new buy.

Before doing anything, just grab some pics of the Safari's underbody, and the engine room, it will never remain so new and fresh from now on.

Truly, there's no alternative to reclaim life.

Happy revving. Now some travelogue please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
dude, this one is very much the bolero cover, which the safari owner has lifted off!

the montero cover is different.
The whole Mahindra lineage is lifted straight from the Willys and Ford jeep days, and still continuing with the same design. Why do we need to talk about Mahindra's having done something on their own(not offensive here, pls dont flame me for this)

What ever that guy has done has done it in neat taste., but nothing to beat the 3L DICOR wheel cover.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 25th December 2008 at 22:22.
Old 25th December 2008, 22:49   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
The whole Mahindra lineage is lifted straight from the Willys and Ford jeep days, and still continuing with the same design. Why do we need to talk about Mahindra's having done something on their own(not offensive here, pls dont flame me for this)
not at all!
we can continue this discussion through PM, wherein we can talk about 'realities'! i would not want to spoil the safari thread.
Old 25th December 2008, 23:36   #758
KVS
BHPian

My Black Safari

Guys

These some pictures of my Black Safari

Model: 2.2 VTT VX 4X4
Month & Year : Nov 2008
Additions: V-Kool Sun film on all windows and Windshield

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-dsc00860.jpg

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-dsc00862.jpg

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-dsc00863.jpg

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-dsc00864.jpg

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-dsc00866.jpg

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-dsc00868.jpg

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-dsc00877.jpg

Finally I will be taking the beast out of city next week. Will post more pictures soon..

Cheers

KVS
Attached Thumbnails
All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-dsc00849.jpg  

Last edited by KVS : 25th December 2008 at 23:39.
Old 26th December 2008, 22:21   #759
BANNED

KVS its a beauty.

More and more Safari's getting booked on T-BHP off late, As far as my count goes its 6 bookings.

Nice colors also, just popping out like poppins candies,
Old 27th December 2008, 09:20   #760
Senior - BHPian

KVS,

Your vehicle is just too good! Do not recollect too many black beauties of this kind here. My fav color!
Old 27th December 2008, 19:39   #761
Senior - BHPian

Mera number kab aayega?

Today I came to the wrong side of the proverbial 'slip between the cup and the lip'

My Brother and myself went SAFARI hunting. We were in the market for a 98 model for under 2 lakhs.

We spotted a SAFARI near a dealers, walked in (incidentally the dealer sold a car to a friend of mine twice, but I never thought of searching with him)

It was a light blue one, Ocotober 00 model. Beige good quality art leather seats and good looks.

Walked in, and enquired about the price, was told it was 2,60,000. Straightaway offered the showroom lady 2,00,000. She said she will call the owner. Then waited there for about 90 minutes, when the owner finally came after saying will be there in 10 minutes for 60 minutes.

Showed me the documents. Told me that the vehicle was his friends' and that he was the third owner, had not transferred the vehicle onto his name, wanted to use it as transport between Bangalore and Mysore since he was a builder, then suddenly fell for the SCORPIO GETAWAY and bought 2 of them. The SAFARI had since become redundant and was put up for sale.

Missed something - while waiting for the owner to arrive, checked the vehicle, could not find anything amiss, no visibility of a shut, started the vehicle, it started beautifully and the engine noise was pure music to the ear.

Finally the time of reckoning arrived. Told the owners friend that was looking for one at 1,50,000 and the maximum I could stretch was 2 lakhs. Only condition was that I had to have it checked with my friends at PRERANA. He forced me to get the vehicle checked at PRERANA today itself, and wanted a commitment to buy from my side before we could discuss the rate. Thought that since he was keen on moving on after he knew that my maximum quote was 2 lakhs, was confident that the vehicle was in the bag.

They sent their driver with me and my brother to PRERANA and ask us to foot the diesel bill. I readily agreed and comandeered the SAFARI. First driving impressions - The seating position is awesome, towering over everyone else (my normal drive is a SIERRA). The power steering was so light and effortless, the vehicle was easily revving, and pulling like a locomotive when the throttle was floored, my smile was wiped off soon. The rear power windows were working only from the drivers side switches, the vehilce was smoking like a rocket when accelerated hard, the air-conditioner was blowing but no cool air was coming and 5th gear was not engaging. Sundry lights and switches were not working.

Filled up 200 rupees worth diesel and felt so comfortable driving the SAFARI. Later on let the driver drive and sat back to observe. The rear seat was really very spacious and the view was like a balcony through the front windshield. The vehicle had 92,000 on the odometer.

Reached PRERANA, the guys took it inside the worshop, was with them when they hoisted the vehicle on the ramp. Now the skeletons started tumbling out of the cupboard.
  1. The vehicle had a major front left side shunt. It was visible in the detials, the nuts were different, the plastic cadding was not screwed in, the paint was touched up using a brush.
  2. The chassis was welded and there was a slight bend in the chassis, not visible to my eye.
  3. The turbocharger was leaking oil
  4. The suspension bushes were worn out - but no immediate suspension work was needed
  5. Both the rear tyres were being eaten from the insides
  6. The radiator cover when opened spewed out coolant like a volcano - which meant that the radiator was blocked
  7. The sump gasket was gone, leaking oil
  8. The wheel bearings on the front were suspect.
Then came the small trial, with mechanic and service engineer in the front seats.
  1. The vehicle was floaty
  2. The turbocharger had a strange whine - 20,000 would be needed to repair the turbocharger
  3. Pick-up was lacking.
Overall assessment - The vehicle was not too good and not too bad either. Was valued at 1,30,000, could be extended to 1,40,000 and if I paid 1,50,000 for it, I was a fool.

Went back to the dealer and broke the news to him as gently as possible. The dealer refused to sell it even at 1,50,000.

Walked away with a heavy heart, told the dealer that he could call anytime and I would be ready with a cheque.

Keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for the call.

My dilema:- I have 2 lakhs to dish out for the SAFARI, but don't want to be cheated.

Forced to wait for a sweeter deal
Old 27th December 2008, 20:07   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
...Overall assessment - The vehicle was not too good and not too bad either. Was valued at 1,30,000, could be extended to 1,40,000 and if I paid 1,50,000 for it, I was a fool...
Good things that you got this check done! It is not that you should pay the entire amount what you have for a vehicle that is not worth it. People thrive on others ignorance.

Wish you all the best in your hunt, mate!
Old 27th December 2008, 20:35   #763
KVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
KVS its a beauty.

More and more Safari's getting booked on T-BHP off late, As far as my count goes its 6 bookings.

Nice colors also, just popping out like poppins candies,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
KVS,

Your vehicle is just too good! Do not recollect too many black beauties of this kind here. My fav color!
Pavan and HappyWheels - Thanks. I wanted to go for Perl white, how ever my wife vetoed for black. I like this color, only issue is heavy maintenance.

Cheers

KVS
Old 27th December 2008, 22:59   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
My dilema:- I have 2 lakhs to dish out for the SAFARI, but don't want to be cheated.
Mate, you must be kidding. 2 lacs for the 2 liter TCIC and that too, one with so many issues????

No way - there's a better (albeit more expensive) way to reclaim your life.......
cheers:

PS: Methinks this is in the wrong section btw.

Last edited by suman : 27th December 2008 at 23:09.
Old 28th December 2008, 00:37   #765
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
only issue is heavy maintenance.
KVS
Heavy on maintenance.... !.... ????

Rs. 760/- bill for the first 5 services, that'll stretch up to 25 k kms..

Just enjoy your ride, dont worry about the Safari maintenance, its a real rugged vehicle and easy on your pocket. Just make sure you have the extended warranty.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed