Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2009, 20:52   #1336
Senior - BHPian

No, it doesnt look like smoke to me or maybe some illusion.

cos has there been any smoke from clutch, the cabin and engine bay is filled with smell and ADC must have felt it straightaway.

If he dint then its an illusion otherwise i might agree that its smoke.

But nice video ADC, you need better tyres buddy and considering the terrain you are throwing the 2wd safari into, what you would have done with 4x4 ?

Cheers
Old 27th May 2009, 22:09   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Sunny, you're just a bit late!
Here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Thanks Mr Mathur - the clutch was under stress for little time but did not burn up - it was more freewheeling kind, accelerator pressed and the rear wheel turning freely like as they are on rollers.
I take that as the clutch having shed a few thousand kms form its total lifespan!
Old 27th May 2009, 22:37   #1338
Team-BHP Support

Near rohtang I was stuck in a similar situation as you adc. Even with 4x4 I could barely turn the her. I had to take a U turn in a muddy ground. Even with wheels turned fully she would go forward.
Finally, I reversed a bit, made some speed(about 15kmph), and yanked the hand brake up, and turned steering, She slightly turned, and after that in 4L I slowly turned around.
Mud is tricky business, even for 4x4
Old 28th May 2009, 08:28   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTviN View Post
In the meantime I need some help. The black colored plastic caps at the end of the side steps have fallen off and I am searching for new caps. I have searched in JC Road, Bangalore but could not get it. Can anyone tell me where can I get these caps?... Thanks
The black ones on mine too fell off. I have kept a sample so that I can search in JC Road.

Permanent solution is to get the 2.2's footboards.

There was this bloke I saw in the airport, he had taken off the side steps and the OE alloys (It was a 2.2 and top end model), I so much wanted to approach him and ask him if he wanted to sell the stuff he might have gathering dust in his attic, but shied off at the last minute
Old 28th May 2009, 13:33   #1340
Senior - BHPian

nice stuff adc, do u have the video of the beast getting out of the mud ? Cant some blocks of stones/bricks be kept below the tyres in such case so that the vehicle jumps and moves forward ?
Old 28th May 2009, 13:41   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Moda : Duplicated post, pls delete
Old 28th May 2009, 13:51   #1342
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
@ADC,
That was one churning of the mud! ROFL! It would have been great to see what happened.
Hell yes, the mud was like a layer of super grease. The way we got out was like 3 guys [2 friends + the forest guard] pushing the vehicle from the other side [trench side - as we were slowly and surely sliding to it with every try], sideways. Then back gear and required throttle - the side push by the fellows prevented it from sliding and finally on to the grass. Then the VTT was driven from the extreme right side and again we kind of almost stuck, the mud was thick and almost covered the entire width at the gate.

The whole day and half it rained and there was much sliding in forest mud tracks as we went out in the rain to buy food rations and explore and feel a rainy forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post

cos has there been any smoke from clutch, the cabin and engine bay is filled with smell and ADC must have felt it straightaway.
Burnt clutch is felt right away and the smell is such [pungent] that anyone will let go of the throttle immediately. Here there was no smoke or smell, the illusion may be due to the rain mist on the camera lens or something. I did lessen the clutch plate a few thousand kms at Dalma forest, Jharkhand, where the VTT was stuck like this but was in an incline, half clutch had to done, and soon felt a burning smell - immediately let go of the throttle.

Here it was flat ground, so clutch play was minimum. The main worry for me was the rev counter, I was pushing it to the red line in 1st gear which though resulted in small movements - the mud was such slippery - was worried of engine check light any moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Mud is tricky business, even for 4x4
Absolutely, here all the 4 wheels would have been on the slippery mud, and minimal slipping would have been there, of course no way near to what we had. A 4wd even with some slipping would have easily got out this situation.

And thanks for that washing tip with surf - would do that. as worry that if putting into the automatic washing machine would clog up some filters, if there.
Old 28th May 2009, 13:57   #1343
Senior - BHPian

ADC,

First clean the shoes with surf in bucket and one the big chunks of mud are gone, use it in the washing machine if required. Putting the shoes, as is, into the washing machine will surely clog it. Try to remove as much mud as possible before the machine wash.
Old 28th May 2009, 14:03   #1344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And thanks for that washing tip with surf - would do that. .....
Nooooo! These are souvenirs of the trip and should be preserved, as such!
Just buy another pair!
Old 28th May 2009, 15:14   #1345
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
nice stuff adc, do u have the video of the beast getting out of the mud ? Cant some blocks of stones/bricks be kept below the tyres in such case so that the vehicle jumps and moves forward ?
Thats the only video, after which all hands were on the side push of the Safari.

The mud was thick, stone chips were brought from some distance and thrown, rocks placed but everything was lost in the thick mud. Also since the tyres were themselves coated with a thick cover of slimy mud, there was almost nil traction. Engine was around 3-4.5 k of rpm, 1st gear, full torque to rear wheels and we were only moving a few feet sideways.

I did not lessen the air pressure of the rear wheels as we would be moving into the forest track and low pressure may have resulted in a puncture inside. May be lowering of air pressure to a minimum would have helped - but thats more effective in sand - when the tyres themselves are coated with mud layer, it may not be that effective - this is mud tyre territory.

These kind of mud or ice slimy surfaces are surely are a tricky thing. For a 4wd, TSK's procedure of turning and moving was the perfect one with the application of hand brake and 4L.

For a 2wd, it is better to get down, think, analyse, give the right kind of pedal push and human effort and hopefully pray that whatever is being done, quite an amount of good luck is always there to suddenly make you unstuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Try to remove as much mud as possible before the machine wash.
Absolutely. And good to see you back in Bangalore!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Nooooo! These are souvenirs of the trip and should be preserved, as such!
Just buy another pair!
Mr Mathur thats a very good idea and quite a possibility - those woodland shoes are around 6-7 years old, inside and the sole torn in places, outside okay - but very comfortable as an old shoe is! - Condition is such that new shoe will be needed in another 8-10 months even by a long stretch.

The only thing preventing me to buy a new shoe all the while is that the price is now like 2.5k and thats like another 800 km of travel somewhere!! But thats a very good idea - strong possibility it ends as a big ego satisfying souvenir!!

Last edited by adc : 28th May 2009 at 15:17.
Old 28th May 2009, 15:21   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only thing preventing me to buy a new shoe all the while is that the price is now like 2.5k and thats like another 800 km of travel somewhere!!
There's a sale on in Woodlands (discounts of upto 50%) so get cracking

(At least in Gurgaon!)
Old 28th May 2009, 18:34   #1347
BHPian

Monday Blues + Mountain Green = We GRIN

We have kept a bag in the car's boot contaning one set of clothes, mobile chargers, toothbrush and etc. as we never know when we would "feel like!".

We "Felt like" this Monday. And headed straight through a junction, instead of taking the customary right towards our office localities. After moving ahead a couple of kilometers, we respectively called our bosses and informed them that we were having severe stomach pain and sore throat. We also told that visiting a doctor might also be necessary.

After that, we engaged in a little conversation regarding "where to go"?
Few minutes of this and that resulted in nothing and we decided to take our first halt at Khopoli Food Mall on Mumbai Pune Express way. We would then decide on a destination from there. On the way, we toyed with the idea that we would drive down to pune, hang around a little, have lunch and head back.

Question in where to hang around in this scorching heat?
We needed a place not less than 100 Km away and would either cool or interesting enough to beat the heat (both mental and work related).

However, after reaching Khopoli,
All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-01-khopoli-food-mall.jpg

I remembered something I read about here on Team BHP. There was a good destination close by indeed.

So we changed and off we went!
Just posting the pictures here as the trip is very small and not really worthy of a travelogue.

1. The Nomad King in a mood to take off -

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-02-raja.jpg

2. Wife carries her lunch to office, we shared in a different looking pantry -

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-05-lunch.jpg

3. Post lunch, the road turns a bit dusty -

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-06-dust.jpg

4. And worse -

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-09-bad-roads.jpg

5. Then there is little sand -

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-12-through-sand.jpg

6. Turning in the narrow road/ trail is quite a task -

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-13-turning.jpg

7. And that throws my lane discipline out of the window -

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-14-lane-discipline.jpg

8. However, the Safari pulls with a glitter on its skid plate -

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-15-glittering.jpg

9. Reached our destination (It's not much of a place though)-
All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-16-temple.jpg

And immediately ready to roll -
All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-19-takes-rest.jpg

10. End of it -I Rule!
All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-22-i-rule.jpg

11. And the Nomad King says -

All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-0-cover-page.jpg

After coming back to Mumbai, we went to a Petrol Pump in Vashi and got the car thoroughly washed.
My family still doesn't know about this trip.
Old 28th May 2009, 19:28   #1348
Senior - BHPian

ROFL! Sen, that was a good one!

Talk about you taking the "reclaiming" part seriously, this surely proves it!

I sincerely hope that neither yours nor your wife's boss is a T-BHP member!
Old 28th May 2009, 19:36   #1349
BHPian

Well!

Now you got me all tensed!
Old 28th May 2009, 19:44   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
We "Felt like" this Monday. And headed straight through a junction, instead of taking the customary right towards our office localities. After moving ahead a couple of kilometers, we respectively called our bosses and informed them that we were having severe stomach pain and sore throat. We also told that visiting a doctor might also be necessary.
Really hope your boss is not a T-Bhpian, otherwise you are in for some serious trouble.

Edit: Just saw the previous post. Anyways now the bosses know where to look anytime someone, especially a car lover, calls in sick.

Last edited by umang dutt : 28th May 2009 at 19:47.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks