Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2009, 18:43   #1366
BHPian

Thanks TSK.

Now I got the idea.
My only remaining problem is that I need significant skill and practice to develop confidence in such a technique. Otherwise I may slide my tail into the gorge.
Old 29th May 2009, 21:51   #1367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Hub cap was indeed lost on the trip.
.. might have simply dropped off on the highway.
I am paranoid about such things. They are simple plastic push fit and might eject on a bit of judder. Have stuck 1" cello tape on each one of them. Had lost one rubber stopper in engine bay under bonnet during 1st service (pressure wash?). Fought with TASS and got it back. Now all such rubbers and the foam padding on the roof under the rear top brake light mount have been glued with a dab of fevikwik. Hope it keeps them together.
-bj
Old 30th May 2009, 10:36   #1368
Senior - BHPian

in scorpio, the plastic cup is fitted from the inner side of the wheel, so it does not eject out. however, it can break easily & if it does, sourcing these hub caps are very difficult for the scorpio.
Old 30th May 2009, 11:31   #1369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobug View Post
2002 safari ex
rado classic 15"
appolo strom 15"
jobug,

Is the review mirror on the Bonnet really useful? or a fancy thing? Also is the Logo on the Bonnet center is from Mercedes?
Old 30th May 2009, 13:58   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
jobug,

Is the review mirror on the Bonnet really useful? or a fancy thing? Also is the Logo on the Bonnet center is from Mercedes?
I just fixed a pair of these bonnet mirrors on my truck, they work a treat, they cover blind spots to the side of the vehicle, which helps with scooters, pedestrians, rickshaws and omni vans which often sneak up up you.
Old 30th May 2009, 16:54   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Hub cap was indeed lost on the trip.
But, I don't know how! It might have happened sometime during when I was using the 4H or 4L or might have simply dropped off on the highway.

Had to pay Rs. 230/- for ONE hub cap at TASS!
All four of my hub caps flew off at different places. TML needs to redesign the fitting to ensure a clip lock of some sort and may I add again - better QC-.
Just got a set of 4 new hubcaps. And Iam 100% sure they will fall off again somewhere sometime soon.
BTW Sen, you dont have to use 4wd for them to fall off. They have a mind of their own, terrain notwithstanding.

What I did appreciate was the peace of mind after all the hubcaps flew off. I didnt have to keep checking for their presence. But alas, I love to see my ride as stock as I can, though the hubcaps are an unnecessary uninvited expense.
Old 31st May 2009, 11:54   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Hah!!
I just noticed that this thread has crossed 1lakh plus views. Great.
Old 31st May 2009, 14:25   #1373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
All four of my hub caps flew off at different places. TML needs to redesign the fitting to ensure a clip lock of some sort and may I add again - better QC-.
Just got a set of 4 new hubcaps. And Iam 100% sure they will fall off again somewhere sometime soon.
BTW Sen, you dont have to use 4wd for them to fall off. They have a mind of their own, terrain notwithstanding.

What I did appreciate was the peace of mind after all the hubcaps flew off. I didnt have to keep checking for their presence. But alas, I love to see my ride as stock as I can, though the hubcaps are an unnecessary uninvited expense.
There's a cheap and very easy way to solve this. Have you seen that white strip which are used to bunch up wires together at home? Its a plastic strip, that loops around and locks itself in. All you have to do is loop one round the hub cap into the metal rim, and voila. If the hub cap decides to run away, its leashed on. You can figure out a way to hide it, and its probably better than losing hub caps every few 1000 kms. Hope that Good-housekeeping solution helped.
Old 1st June 2009, 11:53   #1374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTviN View Post
... In the meantime I need some help. The black colored plastic caps at the end of the side steps have fallen off and I am searching for new caps. I have searched in JC Road, Bangalore but could not get it. Can anyone tell me where can I get these caps?... Thanks
I received only 1 reply for this, but not a solution though. Can someone help me on this
Old 1st June 2009, 12:42   #1375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTviN View Post
I received only 1 reply for this, but not a solution though. Can someone help me on this
Best bet is check with the TASS directly, they might help you to find it out.
Old 1st June 2009, 15:30   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
There's a cheap and very easy way to solve this. Have you seen that white strip which are used to bunch up wires together at home? Its a plastic strip, that loops around and locks itself in. All you have to do is loop one round the hub cap into the metal rim, and voila. If the hub cap decides to run away, its leashed on. You can figure out a way to hide it, and its probably better than losing hub caps every few 1000 kms. Hope that Good-housekeeping solution helped.
@Redliner this can work for wheel caps where you have some place to insert the plastic wire tie but there is no space in hub Cap to insert the tie. One similar solution can be to put a teflon tape (used in plumbing ) on the threads so that it does not unscrew easily.
what is the best way to open the hub caps ?

I have aftermarket alloys with a big hub cap and wanted to unscrew them to clean and shine. There are hardwater and mud stains in the recessed area. I am unable to unscrew them , I suppose rotating them in anticlockwise direction using hand should be the way but they do not buzz
Old 1st June 2009, 17:52   #1377
Team-BHP Support

Its snap on type, no threads.
Old 1st June 2009, 17:59   #1378
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hey, you are talking about wheel caps, Safari's dont come with them ever.

They always have a small centre hub cap, the older and the present Dicor's have the hub caps fitted with the lug nuts, the only problems people face where the hub caps keep falling off is in the Safari's with Alloys.

This i dont think we have any solution at present untill TML invests some research time.
Old 3rd June 2009, 20:48   #1379
BHPian

My Safari going for Night Jungle Safari....
Attached Thumbnails
All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-image502.jpg  

Old 3rd June 2009, 20:56   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Aman,

Any more of the same dose left?

Nice shot!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks