Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 16:26   #2251
Senior - BHPian

true Suman- in an ideal world, ABS equipped Safari is the way to go. Unfortunately TML in their eternal wisdom chose to provide it only on GX and VX. they ahould at least provide it as an option on teh other variants. I would not think twice before paying about 35 K extra for an ABS equipped LX
Old 13th August 2010, 16:27   #2252
BHPian

RahulK76 has moved from 3L red Beast to a 2.2L Black beast in Pune an year ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
thanks guys for your inputs.

Nitvin- retrofitting ABS is not something one should consider

ACM- no pre owned cars for me buddy- i would prefer to wait and save more moolah

the thing is, does any one have back to back experience of the braking of the 3.0 vs. the 2.2. if there is an incremental improvement in the 2.2 over the 3.0, i can live with it. the issue with my truck's braking was not so much premature locking but rather insufficient bite. if the bite is good in the brakes, you can avoid locking to a certain extent by pumping the brakes as well. trouble is that all test drive vehicles in the showrooms are in such pathetic condition tha tit is difficult to accurately guage the braking performance.

anyone here moved from a 3.0 to a 2.2?
Old 13th August 2010, 18:04   #2253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
@ThrottleKing,

Go for the 4x4 if you budget permits. Let me tell you, those once-in-a-while use themselves will put an ever lasting grin on your face.

More true since you plan extensive touring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidcruise79 View Post
As Happy Wheels mentioned if you can afford it - go for it. When you are driving such a huge beast you should have the capability of getting out of sticky situations on your own. Many Safari owners regret their decision of not going in for the 4X4, and this mod cannot be done later easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Another fact, a safari 4x2 is less capable than a M800 when it comes to slush/ice etc.,. Same is true for all these scorpio/bolero/innova type of MUVs. Their only advantage is ground clearance. If you have ice/slush or general slippery terrain, a Rear wheel drive 2WD is the worse kind of vehicle to have.

so if you want to roam the mountains, remember if you encounter any snow, or sandy patch, a heavy SUV will sink first.
Thanks a lot guys, looks like i will have to wait some more time to get the beast, coz from what I know from you and with subsequent discussion going for GX 4x4 make a lot more sense.

I wish i should have not bought Magnum, but all for the best bcoz i was contemplating to buy EX 4x2 that time.

Its time to save money!!!
Old 13th August 2010, 22:10   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Another fact, a safari 4x2 is less capable than a M800 when it comes to slush/ice etc.,. Same is true for all these scorpio/bolero/innova type of MUVs. Their only advantage is ground clearance. If you have ice/slush or general slippery terrain, a Rear wheel drive 2WD is the worse kind of vehicle to have.

so if you want to roam the mountains, remember if you encounter any snow, or sandy patch, a heavy SUV will sink first.

Tell me about it!!

I have just returned from an excursion in the mountains in rains. I took the risk of taking the safari through a narrow, steeply inclined road which was also slippery.

Now there was this narrow extremely steep hair pin bend on this road. So on one side the road swirled up into the skies and the other side was a cliff to abyss. I decided to use the extra area of the bend to reverse the Safari to go back. And the mammoth got stuck. And in this fashion. The front was facing the cliff. It was just centimeters away from the edge and the back was raised on the bend. So the safari was inclined at an angle of probably 10 - 12 degrees...back side up and the front ready to dart towards the cliff. No need to say, but at one point my intestines overtook my heart to sit in my mouth!!!

I think the BIGGEST negative point of the safari is its damn 2.2 ton weight. It just makes it impossible to take her through narrow mountainous trails.
Attached Thumbnails
All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-hotel-invoice-139.jpg  

Last edited by rrsteer : 13th August 2010 at 22:14.
Old 13th August 2010, 22:36   #2255
Senior - BHPian

RRSteer:

Please put up the experience and how you got out of it, with photos, on your ownership thread.

I am sure it would make a interesting read.
Old 13th August 2010, 22:38   #2256
Senior - BHPian

Here are a couple of pics of the Safari from my recent trip to the Dauladhars.
Old 13th August 2010, 22:49   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Where are the pics buddy ?

Prem.
Old 13th August 2010, 23:05   #2258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Don't know why the photos didn't get published earlier. Anyways, my apologies and here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
All Tata Safari Owners - Your SUV Pics here-hotel-invoice-092.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 13th August 2010, 23:07   #2259
Senior - BHPian

rrsteer an image could be deceiving and doesn't convey the actual gravity of the situation. However from the angle this pic was shot, looks like you still have about 2 feet ahead of the Dicor which you could have used. Cover 2 feet and then reverse, do the same exercise still you had enuf space to turn the Dicor around. I am sure it wouldn't have been a mammoth task to get it back in the right direction.
Old 14th August 2010, 07:22   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
rrsteer an image could be deceiving and doesn't convey the actual gravity of the situation. However from the angle this pic was shot, looks like you still have about 2 feet ahead of the Dicor which you could have used. Cover 2 feet and then reverse, do the same exercise still you had enuf space to turn the Dicor around. I am sure it wouldn't have been a mammoth task to get it back in the right direction.
Now, he is back and we can kid around this
I think, rrsteer might have told about 1 or 2 cms from the front bumper, not from the tyres !

Prem.
Old 14th August 2010, 10:04   #2261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

This pic is not the one which shows the original position in which the mammoth got stuck. This was taken after about 15 minutes. By that time we had got ourselves in an equally worse position.

In this picture you can see that the car is slightly diagonal. The front right tyres are some distance from the edge, while the left front tyres are closer to the edge. Also notice that the right hand back tyre is stuck against the wedge of the incline. So now essentially what was happening was, if we reversed, the car would hit the incline or the wedge and that would resist its movement and in turn would push back on the car causing it to lunge forward.

There was no room at all to move the car forward slightly and make space to reverse it. The left front tyre was almost on the cliff and we had made an obstruction in front of it by somehow stacking a huge stone in front of it.

Another problem was with the Safari itself. There is a lag when you release the clutch and press the accelerator after engaging a gear. In situations like this these heartbeat moments are crucial. And in these heartbeat moments the major force is gravity acting on the mammoth 2.2 ton weight. So even if you have a 2 feet space in front of you, it can so happen that by the time the gears engage to reverse, the mammoth is already on the edge and has decided to take a leap of faith.
Old 14th August 2010, 10:20   #2262
Senior - BHPian

@rrsteer: It happens sometimes, happened with me but I managed to get out of the situation easily. Could you tell how did you get yourself into such a situation and how did you managed to get the vehicle out?
Old 14th August 2010, 18:39   #2263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
RahulK76 has moved from 3L red Beast to a 2.2L Black beast in Pune an year ago...
Braking....

Of course the brakes of 2.2 are way way better than the 3.0l beast. I can say this from my own experience that from the journeys i have made, to the daily drives. They are well weighed and progressive.
no.of pistons in front disc brakes are more than 3 ltr so you get that extra bite. Somewhere on forum, i have mentioned that & now i dont remember it :(.

May I propose to Himanshu that you drive some 2.2 back to back with 3.0 & opine about it

Nothing against others views on ABS whatsoever they maybe, For sure the driving capabilities of a driver are paramount.
Old 14th August 2010, 20:04   #2264
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the response Rahul.

I will be testing the 2.2 again in the next couple of weeks. If it has better bite and more progressive brakes than the 3.0, i guess i can live with it since i never crossed 100 KPH in my Safari since i feel that dynamically it may not be safe at higher speeeds. For high speed runs, i always have theSX4 which is an absolute beauty to drive
Old 14th August 2010, 20:08   #2265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
thanks for the response Rahul.

I will be testing the 2.2 again in the next couple of weeks. If it has better bite and more progressive brakes than the 3.0, i guess i can live with it since i never crossed 100 KPH in my Safari since i feel that dynamically it may not be safe at higher speeeds. For high speed runs, i always have theSX4 which is an absolute beauty to drive
Once a Safari-ian always a Safarian

Hope you like the new BSiv LX
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks