Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2008, 21:30   #1
BHPian

Hotspots in chennai? Advice Needed

Hey guys,

I would be stayin in the nungambakam area (sterling road/ near ganpath hotel) for about 5 months from the 1st week of july. Would be there for some business and course work. So i need some help in settling down...here are a few question. Kindly help me out...been 3 years since i've visited chennai.

I've got 2 cousins over there...but they are studin...wouldnt wana bother them too much..wanna do some self exploring.

1. Where is the closest fully equiped gym near this area and how much would it cost.

2. Good food near by that i can eat on a daily basis without blowin a fortune?

3. Shoppin complexes that are new and happenin and theaters?? is shanti theater still attracting the young crowd?...hey i am young! haha

4. Any cool night spots? Clubs wateva?

5. Good tailor shops where i can custom tailor shirts/pants? I heard raymonds do them well?? What are the costs like?

More questions might pop up when i am there...so do help me explore ur city guys
Old 28th May 2008, 22:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. Nungambakkam has quite a few good gyms . Talwalkars is on the wallace garden road. O2 is on Khader Nawaz khan road. Maverick is on the G.N.Chetty road. Fitness One and Gold's are off T.T.K. Road.

For The rest of your queries,there are a lot to name.
So, come down.We'll help you out.
Old 29th May 2008, 00:34   #3
BHPian

If you are here for that long, you can get one of the local newspapers ( nungambakkam times or equivalent ) and search for where you can get made food delivered. ( classfieds ad )

There are a lot of places that you could find that provide door step service.

and Yeah, like nitrous said, there are too many places. Just come over and ping us, we will help you.
Old 29th May 2008, 08:24   #4
BHPian

Hum alrite guys...thanks for the info. The papers would be informative i guess. Coming over from a country with nth much to do, sure thing i am gonna be busy discovering alot of stuff haha.
Old 29th May 2008, 20:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones View Post
Hey guys,

I would be stayin in the nungambakam area (sterling road/ near ganpath hotel) for about 5 months from the 1st week of july. Would be there for some business and course work. So i need some help in settling down...here are a few question. Kindly help me out...been 3 years since i've visited chennai.

I've got 2 cousins over there...but they are studin...wouldnt wana bother them too much..wanna do some self exploring.

1. Where is the closest fully equiped gym near this area and how much would it cost. (since you say closest i think that would be O2 and Talwakers both costing around 17k per annum. Alternatively you can also look at Maverick and Golds which are around 12-14k per annum)

2. Good food near by that i can eat on a daily basis without blowin a fortune? (As others suggested you can try ordering food via the local paper. There are lot of food options you can choose from. And since many places not offer home delivery your only a phone call away from your favourite food)

3. Shoppin complexes that are new and happenin and theaters?? is shanti theater still attracting the young crowd?...hey i am young! haha (Ispahani centre is walkable from your place. you also have citi centre and spencers at short distances. there are many others. as far as theaters go sathyam, maayajal and inox rule the roost. abirami mega mall, prathana drive-in are also worth mentioning)

4. Any cool night spots? Clubs wateva? (Havana, 10D, Pasha, speed, dublin, escape, geffoerys, zaras etc. plenty of places)

5. Good tailor shops where i can custom tailor shirts/pants? I heard raymonds do them well?? What are the costs like? (raymonds are really good but they are also pricey. if you don't mind spending that much you can also look at syed bawkher and some designers on khader nawaz khan road.)

More questions might pop up when i am there...so do help me explore ur city guys
hope you have fun during your time here.
P.S - why would you say there is nothing much to do in singapore???
Old 31st May 2008, 10:45   #6
BHPian

If u stay in a country thats the size of a city in india for 23 years...that bounds to happen....singapore has the 2nd highest movie going rate in the world!!! haha that tells it all dun it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Old 31st May 2008, 10:48   #7
BHPian

and do the clubs still have the silly ''couples'' only rule in place still?? i was suprised beyond believe when i heard that three years ago when i was there at a club called sparks...

Quote:
Old 31st May 2008, 12:23   #8
BHPian

Eat outs

Being a foodie, I can only suggest eat-outs which are walkable distance from the place where you will be staying

1. The places you can visit on regular basis:
Hotel Rajbhavan: sterling road-nungambakkam high road junction
Hotel ceylon: On sterling road
Hotel Sangeeta: Sterling road-nungambakkam high road junction
Hotel Seetaram- Nungambakkam high road
Juice shop in the petrol bunk on Sterling road
2. Places close by but will pinch an Indian pocket
Little Italy: Nungambakkam high road
Eden (in Harrisons hotel)- Walk further sterling road towards chetpet
Anjappar- Nungambakkam high road (behind hotel Ranjith)
Mocha: khader nawaz khan road (KNK road)
Casa Picola- -do-
Punjabi/chinese joint in the road parallel to KNK road (forgot name)
3. Places which will pinch a pocket with dollars also
Taj (Nungambakkam high road)

Hope this is useful.

Thiyags
Old 31st May 2008, 13:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
and do the clubs still have the silly ''couples'' only rule in place still?? i was suprised beyond believe when i heard that three years ago when i was there at a club called sparks...
yes. To an extent they have this still.
Old 31st May 2008, 16:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
i don't exactly get what you mean. as far as i know you can enter the club as a stag without any trouble as far as you pay full price for the couple entry. In some places you have entry for stags while for couples its free. and this rule applies only to clubs and not pubs.

due to some instances in the past i sometimes think its better this rule is enforced in all clubs. it might not keep the place trouble free but would certainly keep it down a bit.
Old 31st May 2008, 20:09   #11
BHPian

A Foodie's perspective

Hey deftones, even if I am presently located in Bhubaneshwar I think I'll be able to help you to a certain extent. Here are some food joints-

JUNK FOOD
(i) Pizza Hut - NH Road
(ii) Chicking - NH Road
(iii) Marrybrown- At Ispahani Plaza
(iv) Cafe Coffee Day - At Ispahani Plaza

HEALTH FOOD
You can try AIWO at NH Road where you get very low calorie food and they do have offers for people who want to eat on a daily basis. It is near Barista at NH Road

CHINESE
Mainland China is highly recommended and it is not very expensive if you order properly. Wangs kitchen is another very popular outlet and it is much cheaper than Mainland China.

SOUTH INDIAN
Sarvana Bhavans all over the city

Others
(i) New Yorkers (Veg)
(ii) Mc donald (Acsandas IT park)
(iii) KFC (Acsandas IT park)

PLAZAS
(i) Citi Centre - This has a new movie theatre - INOX
(ii) Shopper's Stop- NH Road
(iii) Spencer's Plaza
(iv) Raymond's is the best place for tailoring

THEATRES
(I) Satyam
(II) Inox
(III) Abirami Mega Mall (New theatres in place)
(IV) Mayajaal (ECR Road)
(V) Melody

These are the main theatres which screen hindi films.
Old 1st June 2008, 23:05   #12
BHPian

wow great! now i just gotta get away to know where exactly these locations are...grrr...hope the weather is fine when i am there...its blazin hot here itself!

how much is the average price for a shirt tailor made at raymonds?

[quote=Gautam Misra;849272]Hey deftones, even if I am presently located in Bhubaneshwar I think I'll be able to help you to a certain extent. Here are some food joints-
Old 1st June 2008, 23:06   #13
BHPian

oh well ...just gotta get myself a chick then

Quote:
i don't exactly get what you mean. as far as i know you can enter the club as a stag without any trouble as far as you pay full price for the couple entry. In some places you have entry for stags while for couples its free. and this rule applies only to clubs and not pubs.

due to some instances in the past i sometimes think its better this rule is enforced in all clubs. it might not keep the place trouble free but would certainly keep it down a bit.
Old 1st June 2008, 23:09   #14
BHPian

will sure try these places...how much should i pay for an auto to getard this area...have eaten at Taj bfr...gotta try the juice shop though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post
Being a foodie, I can only suggest eat-outs which are walkable distance from the place where you will be staying

1. The places you can visit on regular basis:
Hotel Rajbhavan: sterling road-nungambakkam high road junction
Hotel ceylon: On sterling road
Hotel Sangeeta: Sterling road-nungambakkam high road junction
Hotel Seetaram- Nungambakkam high road
Juice shop in the petrol bunk on Sterling road
2. Places close by but will pinch an Indian pocket
Little Italy: Nungambakkam high road
Eden (in Harrisons hotel)- Walk further sterling road towards chetpet
Anjappar- Nungambakkam high road (behind hotel Ranjith)
Mocha: khader nawaz khan road (KNK road)
Casa Picola- -do-
Punjabi/chinese joint in the road parallel to KNK road (forgot name)
3. Places which will pinch a pocket with dollars also
Taj (Nungambakkam high road)

Hope this is useful.

Thiyags
Old 7th June 2008, 11:45   #15
BHPian

I am back!! alrite now i need to know who provides broadband services in chennai for good rates and speed...2mbps is all i need at most. But it has to be dedicated. Any good providers and rates please guys? and do i have to buy the modem or just rent it out? i have a motorola modem with me that i can bring along right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks