Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 10:04   #2401

After my last post on this thread from the Mahindra Great Escape in Hyderabad in 2009, I took to it again this year. And this time it was a rocky terrain in outskirts of Hyderabad and more thrilling than the last one. There were some tough terrain areas but the Scorpio took it in its stride and made it through in one piece, after some clutch and rubber burning

Love this machine - 5+yrs, 81K km, 2.6CRDe.
Enjoy the pics:

This lake crossing was only meant for 4WD vehicles. Even though, not all of them made it through and needed some winching.

This patch was much steeper than it looks in the pic. My first lessons of rock climbing and how not to burn your clutch in a 2WD.

Amazing view from the top...

The climb down the hill was through narrow passages filled with rocks and boulders on all sides.
Old 17th November 2010, 10:22   #2402
BHPian

My priced possesions - 2006 Scorpio SLX Crde and 2010 Scorpio Vlx MHawk

2006 Scorpio Slx Crde - In my Farm
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-wipro3-001.jpg
Name:  Picture 347.jpg
Views: 3036
Size:  86.1 KB
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-picture-016.jpg

My new Possession
2010 Scorpio Vlx mHawk
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-ride1.jpg
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-ride.jpg

Will post more photos when i take my beast to the hills next week
Old 17th November 2010, 17:37   #2403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraddict1 View Post
After my last post on this thread from the Mahindra Great Escape in Hyderabad in 2009, I took to it again this year. And this time it was a rocky terrain in outskirts of Hyderabad and more thrilling than the last one. There were some tough terrain areas but the Scorpio took it in its stride and made it through in one piece, after some clutch and rubber burning

Love this machine - 5+yrs, 81K km, 2.6CRDe.
Awsome terrain, kudos to you to attempt on a 2WD and come out without any damages
Old 17th November 2010, 19:46   #2404
Senior - BHPian

Hi Raj,

Not changing my profession- Banking is better!!

3 mahindra's, 1 Ford Endy & 1 Honda Accord. 5 cars in all with 18 people. Cool trip! Bad roads!

Car Addict:: lovely pictures for M&M great escape. I like your ride! Should catch up in Hyd with you!
Old 17th November 2010, 20:23   #2405
Senior - BHPian

@Caraddict, those are breathtaking pics of Scorps off the road !

Nice set of alloys too. Your ride comfort and handling might have improved after you changed over to the alloys ?

Wishing many many more succesful OTR ventures in the future
Old 18th November 2010, 11:01   #2406
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Caraddict...fabulous pictures!! Your car looks amazing and I'm also a fan of the old scorpio looks. You scorp sure does look similar to mine, save for the Hellas. Your alloys look supercool too How much do those Hellas cost. I've been thinking of installing lights like that, but some people tell me my car looks cool without them...even I kinda like the naked look in front.

Its nice to see you are using your machine to its fullest !! Keep it p and please do post more pictures.
Old 18th November 2010, 12:35   #2407
BHPian

Introducing my Scorpio

Here are two initial photos of my Scorpio.Shall post more photos soon.Just got the jobs as per my requirements finished. Didn't get time to take it for a long drive & to different terrains.
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-photos-oct2010-51.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-photos-oct2010-142.jpg  

Old 18th November 2010, 12:56   #2408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayygeorge View Post
Here are two initial photos of my Scorpio.Shall post more photos soon.Just got the jobs as per my requirements finished. Didn't get time to take it for a long drive & to different terrains.
How have you mounted the spare wheel on the real door. It looks good, but a bit out of shape IMHO. What do you do for the base weight in the car.

regards,
Old 18th November 2010, 15:16   #2409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
How have you mounted the spare wheel on the real door. It looks good, but a bit out of shape IMHO. What do you do for the base weight in the car.

regards,
The spare wheel bracket is from BOLERO .Extensive work is done from inside the tail gate to strengthen it by welding a thicker steel sheet inside which acts as the main load bearing member for the additional weight of the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-photos-oct2010-12.jpg  

Old 18th November 2010, 17:02   #2410
Senior - BHPian

I can see 4 mods on your car:

1) 4x4 sticker on doors - looks really really nice. or is that OE?

2) blackening of pillars - again a nice job but some finishing would be nice. is it a paint job or a sticker?

3) Reflectors above tail light painted white - sorry, not too my taste.

4) spare wheel mounted on rear hatch - i like scorpios with rear mounted spare but frankly something is missing in your car. its not looking a perfect fit, kind of looks mismatched somewhere.
Old 18th November 2010, 19:05   #2411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I can see 4 mods on your car:

1) 4x4 sticker on doors - looks really really nice. or is that OE?

2) blackening of pillars - again a nice job but some finishing would be nice. is it a paint job or a sticker?

3) Reflectors above tail light painted white - sorry, not too my taste.

4) spare wheel mounted on rear hatch - i like scorpios with rear mounted spare but frankly something is missing in your car. its not looking a perfect fit, kind of looks mismatched somewhere.
Raj,
1.The 4X4 is a paint job.
2. Blackening on the B & C pillars are by vinyl stickers and rear quarter glass inner ridges by black matt paint .(Took clue from your experience).Am sure the sticker is not going to last. Will paint all black later.
3. The toy look reflector I thought of painting black, it would have been worse.Some detailing is given to the white shade with the same decals used in the car on left side following the car decal theme.A close up photo can show it.
4. The rear mounting in Scorpio is real tricky. The wheel mounting should have been few inches lower. But the original number plate ridge on the tail makes it extremely difficult.The job is not bad when you see the car in real.
Some more detailing are carried out in the car.Shall post photos when time permits.
All the jobs are done by TVS Trivandrum.
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-photos-oct2010-99.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-photos-oct2010-103.jpg  

Old 18th November 2010, 19:21   #2412
BHPian

The spare mounted on the rear looks great. Must have required extensive work. Which tyres are you using?
Old 18th November 2010, 21:07   #2413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayygeorge View Post
Your vehicle look relatively new. Wouldn't this modification [the spare tyre mounting one] void the warranty, or cause any issues with insurance?

I'd always wondered how a Scorpio would look with the spare tyre mounted on the rear door; now I know. It certainly does look different, but I think I like the original look more. No offense :-)

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 18th November 2010 at 21:10.
Old 18th November 2010, 21:11   #2414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
The spare mounted on the rear looks great. Must have required extensive work. Which tyres are you using?
Definitely would have needed work because reinforcement is inadequate when it comes from the factory. The rear door isn't built to take the load of a spare wheel,unlike the Dicor which comes with the spare wheel factory fitted. The only gripe is that the wheel isn't secure since anyone can steal at will .
The tires are BS duelers.

I have seen a scorp' at my office campus which has the spare wheel mounted on the lines of a Bolero. Lemme see if I can get some pics and post it here. It dint look as good as ray's scorp's rear door wheel mounting.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 18th November 2010 at 21:12.
Old 19th November 2010, 00:49   #2415
BHPian

Additional reinforcement to tail gate is given by cutting open from inside and welding a thicker gauge plate inside close to the exterior sheet.Four holes are drilled for fixing the Wheel bracket.The cut plate behind the tail gate panel is welded back and painted. The original paint is not damaged any where on the exterior.
Security of spare wheel on tail gate is ensured.A closer look in previous photo of the spare wheel,you can find one bolt with a lock soursed from outside.Shall post a close up photo.
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-spare-wheel-lock.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks