Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 00:16   #856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
+1 for my pre-CRDe 4WD. Hovers just below the half-way point.

@raj: Thanks. I am taking the car for a servicing soon. Will ask them about the cluster. But it does seem that the red cluster has all the fancy gizmo readings, like tyretronics and so on. Will have to account for that.
I also need to find out if these clusters have indicators for the two 4wd modes (4L & 4H). Maybe Mathur saab or roshun can throw some light on that.
Engine temp gets up to just below the half-way point in about 10 minutes of driving and stays there.

The 4H/4L lights are present in all Scorp instrument clusters, but are functional only in the 4wds. In fact the clusters have so many more lights that are just dummies - such as engine pre-heater, engine immobilizer, seat-belt warning (in lower models), ABS light (except in the VLX), fog light indicator and so on. I've often wondered on how some of them can be made functional.

Just a thought - if you are getting the cluster with the integrated tyretronics indicator, can you not retrofit the tyretronics system too? It's a Chinese gizmo after-all, and also sold after-market by a company called Tyreprobe in India.

Somewhere else on team-bhp, I also read a thread about changing the colour of your dash lights using different coloured LEDs. Worth a read.

Cheers,
Old 11th December 2008, 11:26   #857
Senior - BHPian

Hai All,

I was so shocked by the article, 8 mHwaks stolen (I know of Manu's mHwak being stolen, thought it was just 1 case), I've put it up here in the technical section:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...s-cracked.html

How can this happen? What can we mortals do to protect our precious Truck?

Please give your take on the technical section.

--Ramky
=====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 11th December 2008 at 11:27.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:44   #858
Senior - BHPian

Ramkya, I agree with you.

I got a message last night from a fellow tbhpian absynthguzzler notifying me the same.

I already have changed the immobilizer code. However, I should put up with a gear lock as another deterrant too!!
Old 11th December 2008, 12:12   #859
BHPian

What is the price of the steering lock? any one can load a picture of how it looks? checked a couple of places could not get it.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:35   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
What is the price of the steering lock? any one can load a picture of how it looks? checked a couple of places could not get it.
Steering lock, the pedel+steering lock, U tubes, costs 250/- got that too, was not satisfied; anyone can pick that lock.

The gear lock is better; was not available at Ahmedabad, so I got the Autocop one from Delhi through gd1418, Roshan and Gang, cost me 1250/- and fitting Rs.300/- through Autocop guys here. Will try to take some pictures and post it up.

Believe me, the peace of mind it gives when you have to park it on lonely sections is immense, was a life saver in my recent MP trip. Anybody who hacks it, deserves a scropio.

--

Last edited by ramkya1 : 11th December 2008 at 12:37.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:38   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
Just a thought - if you are getting the cluster with the integrated tyretronics indicator, can you not retrofit the tyretronics system too? It's a Chinese gizmo after-all, and also sold after-market by a company called Tyreprobe in India.
Nah, I'll stick to my trusty air pressure gauge which I use to keep tabs on the tyre pressure. Not too keen on fitting these aftermarket gizmos.
Quote:
Somewhere else on team-bhp, I also read a thread about changing the colour of your dash lights using different coloured LEDs. Worth a read.
Yea, badboyscad's thread. Following his lead is option B, though I'd go for white or green light to keep the cabin lighting uniform. As it happens over the years, the current lighting (instrument console & centre console) has dimmed. I have trouble reading the trip-meter at the bottom of the console.

Quote:
Here are some pics:
http://www.global-b2b-network.com/di...Pedal_Lock.jpg
(the red one's the steering lock)

http://www.hastings.gov.uk/about/iss...ering_lock.jpg
Old 11th December 2008, 13:19   #862
Senior - BHPian

Ramkya,
So you have a Autocop Gearlock in your ride. Going from your feedback, I think I shall also opt for it asap.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:34   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Ramkya,
So you have a Autocop Gearlock in your ride. Going from your feedback, I think I shall also opt for it asap.
Yes, got that done a few months back, I was using the U tube one, easy to pick. I think the Gear lock is the way to go, cost-benefit ratio=high.

=====
Old 11th December 2008, 17:25   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i am sure mahindra A.S.S. will easily do the fitting and necessary modifications.
It's not as simple as that, Raj.

If the speedo and ODO work off a a speed sensor then the entire wiring loom behind the Dash board will also have to be changed. A speed sensor will also have to be retrofitted (normally on a gearbox, not sure about the Scorpio). I think the cost involved will be really high.

However no harm in checking out wheather or not the new cluster can be retrofitted.

Cheers.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:45   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
It's not as simple as that, Raj.
I suspected as much. Anyway, will know for sure tomorrow when I visit the workshop.
Old 11th December 2008, 20:33   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Simple contraption which locks the steering and pedal. Most accessary shops have it, 200-500/-, depending on the brand.
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-st.lock1.jpg

Gear lock is the king of all, as most people already know.

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-glock1.jpg

-Ramky
======
Old 11th December 2008, 21:21   #867
BHPian

And here's a pic of the Autocop gearlock fitted in the 4wd Scorpio. Here it locks in neutral (with the lever going through the U clamp) or in first on rare occasions such as parking on a slope (put the clamp behind the lever). You can't use the lock which locks in reverse, because the 4wd shifter comes in the way.
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-0614_132649.jpg  

Old 12th December 2008, 00:24   #868
SYJ
BHPian

@roshan

whats the price for a Autocop gearlock?
Old 12th December 2008, 08:55   #869
Senior - BHPian

Roshun,
thanks for the pics. I would go out hunting this tomorrow in Hyd.

Ramkya,
Thanks for the info. How are the songs from Dostana??
Old 12th December 2008, 09:41   #870
BHPian

Quote:
In fact the clusters have so many more lights that are just dummies - such as engine pre-heater, engine immobilizer, seat-belt warning (in lower models), ABS light (except in the VLX), fog light indicator and so on. I've often wondered on how some of them can be made functional.
Both vls & vlx have ABS.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks