Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2009, 16:22   #1411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
i was referring to the scorpio lifestyle as mahindra has put a sunroof in it
Oh aah!!! Vinay, Is the lifestyle is a DC job in consult with M&M?

Also, not sure if this has anything on it but you could check it out:

home

I can't figure out why it says "home" but the link works!!!! Its www dot mahindra-customisation dot com

Last edited by Mohnish : 17th May 2009 at 16:27.
Old 17th May 2009, 19:21   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
I can't figure out why it says "home" but the link works!!!! Its www dot mahindra-customisation dot com
OT : 'home' is the Title of this url's web page... once you add a hyperlink in a post, forum software automatically pulls the title of that webpage to give a meaningful name!

Last edited by sgmuser : 17th May 2009 at 19:36.
Old 18th May 2009, 11:34   #1413
Senior - BHPian

Dear Mohnish, Thanks for the inputs.

But is the cost of the indicator OVRM's 111.13 ? the A.S.S. guy told me 1300 last time I asked.

The wires hanging out look bad we might have to look at passing the wire through the mirror casing and through the mirror base into the car (the body has holes to pass wire inside. But some one who knows the job will have to first take the mirror out of the casing before the wire is moved through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
Have suggested in quote of my post above what you could do. You need to keep an eye out for other vehicles which have side panel mounted indicators that would "look" ok on the Scorp ORVMs.
On the other hand, what if you get the original chrome with indicator ORVMs and paint them Rocky Beige???. I think this would, IMHO be the sensible & simplest way to go. Also they cost Rs.111.13 form M&M, and painting would be another say Rs.500.00 max. Yep, if in your place, thats what I would do. Try it, no harm.
The chrome ones allow the wire to show, which looks quite horrible. I intend to drill a hole and pass the wire through the mirror casing to hide them. Will work on that when time permits.
Old 18th May 2009, 22:25   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Dear Mohnish, Thanks for the inputs....
Pleasure!

Quote:
...111.13 ? the A.S.S. guy told me 1300 last time I asked.
I purchased it 2 weeks back and have the invoice Its Rs.1,113.13...Global Gallarie, Thane. My prevoius post had a typo (113.13), apologies for that.

Quote:
...look at passing the wire through the mirror casing and through the mirror base...But some one who knows the job will have to first take the mirror out of the casing before the wire is moved through.
Not difficult, am going to do it myself and will post step by step pics when done. The dealership did not want to do it as they said rain water would get in through the hoes...Thats ridiculous, there are ways around that.

Last edited by Mohnish : 18th May 2009 at 22:27.
Old 19th May 2009, 12:32   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Nothing great, just a few pics that i clicked on the ECR.
I see in some Scorpio owners make the wheels to come of the body to few inches. How do you do that?, Is that RTO approved and providing better/improved ride Quality and reducing the bumpy ride?
Old 19th May 2009, 12:35   #1416
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

the normal steel wheels measure about 5.5 inches width
most alloy wheels measure about 6.5 to 7 inches width
therefore most scorpios which have been fitted with after market alloy wheels look like the wheels are sticking out a bit.
i found the same thing happened when I fitted alloys onto my old bolero. now its the same thing when I fitted alloys onto the Scorpio

i think this is the reason as mentioned above

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I see in some Scorpio owners make the wheels to come of the body to few inches. How do you do that?, Is that RTO approved and providing better/improved ride Quality and reducing the bumpy ride?
Old 19th May 2009, 13:18   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two ways to achieve this

1. Fitting over sized alloys ( 7.5 J instead of 6.5 J) or alloys with a negative offset and then fitting up sized tires.

BY increasing total width of vehicle and fatter tyres one may get a feeling of planted ride but overall effects may or may not be very pleasurable
you will have a harder steering and more load on your Power Steering setup and if it is beyond certain maximum PS life may be shorted.
Also fatter tyre with same Tyre wall height may foul with the body / wheel arch so mostly a wider tyre with smaller wall is used which can reduce the ride comfort.

So over all if this is done with in certain limits your handling can improve with out compormising on drivability and ride pleasure say using a 255 /65 R16 tyre with 7J rim instead of 235 / 70 R16 on 6.5 J RIM.

2. A far cheaper way to do is to fit spacer to project out the wheel this is a strict no no and can be dangerous at high speeds as forces at high speed may damage the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the normal steel wheels measure about 5.5 inches width most alloy wheels measure about 6.5 to 7 inches width
Correct me If I am wrong but IMHO Scorpio RIM is 16 inch 6.5 J and OEM tyre size is 235/70 R 16.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th May 2009 at 16:42. Reason: Adding the quote from previous post
Old 19th May 2009, 17:05   #1418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Two ways to achieve this

1. Fitting over sized alloys ( 7.5 J instead of 6.5 J) or alloys with a negative offset and then fitting up sized tires.

BY increasing total width of vehicle and fatter tyres one may get a feeling of planted ride but overall effects may or may not be very pleasurable
you will have a harder steering and more load on your Power Steering setup and if it is beyond certain maximum PS life may be shorted.
Also fatter tyre with same Tyre wall height may foul with the body / wheel arch so mostly a wider tyre with smaller wall is used which can reduce the ride comfort.

So over all if this is done with in certain limits your handling can improve with out compormising on drivability and ride pleasure say using a 255 /65 R16 tyre with 7J rim instead of 235 / 70 R16 on 6.5 J RIM.

2. A far cheaper way to do is to fit spacer to project out the wheel this is a strict no no and can be dangerous at high speeds as forces at high speed may damage the wheel.

Correct me If I am wrong but IMHO Scorpio RIM is 16 inch 6.5 J and OEM tyre size is 235/70 R 16.
Thanks Friends for the detailed reply.

There are few things preventing me till date to own a Scorpio, Though I have a passion to own that beast since 2004.

1. There were no alloy wheels - intitially as a company figment.
2. No ABS
3. Even now, No Airbags. Their sales guy replied me after my test drive - 2.6 vls/crde/refreshed look) he said their vehicle doesn't need airbags.
4. Middle seat comfort - Is it improved now in the newest edition?
5. Finally a tall man like me, 6'2"" can ride comfortably? My test drive in 2007 was just about 4 Kms, and I can not decide much. Any tall Guys' opinion on this?

I am going to take the test drive very soon.

Thanks,
Old 19th May 2009, 17:13   #1419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There are few things preventing me till date to own a Scorpio,
Well it is not absolutely essential to own a Scorpio or for that matter any other brand if it does not suit your requirement
Old 19th May 2009, 17:47   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There are few things preventing me till date to own a Scorpio, Though I have a passion to own that beast since 2004.

1. There were no alloy wheels - intitially as a company figment.
hi benny, why do you need company fitted alloys anyways? my VLX has them & they are not the best looking ones around. certainly does the job, but thats it.

Quote:
2. No ABS
solved! i recall one funny incident here (MODS, pardon as this maybe OT). a friend of mine went to book a swift ZXi. now this sales women was pushing him to buy the VXi instead of the ZXi. he was firm that he wanted a ZXi only & cited his reason that he wants ABS. on this, the sales woman remarked "sir, thoda bahut ABS to har gaadi main rahta hain" (translation - Sir, every car has a little ABS!)

Quote:
3. Even now, No Airbags. Their sales guy replied me after my test drive - 2.6 vls/crde/refreshed look) he said their vehicle doesn't need airbags.
that sales guy immediately starts to look for another job.

Quote:
4. Middle seat comfort - Is it improved now in the newest edition?
seats have changed it seems but comfort in safari or innova will be still better.

Quote:
5. Finally a tall man like me, 6'2"" can ride comfortably? My test drive in 2007 was just about 4 Kms, and I can not decide much. Any tall Guys' opinion on this?
i am 6'1" & i am comfortable driving the scorpio.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 19th May 2009 at 17:49.
Old 19th May 2009, 18:00   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even now, No Airbags.
Middle seat comfort - Is it improved now in the newest edition?
Finally a tall man like me, 6'2"" can ride comfortably? My test drive in 2007 was just about 4 Kms, and I can not decide much. Any tall Guys' opinion on this?
Dont expect the airbags anytime soon. Its a design issue here, the M&M R&D have so far failed to equip their machine with airbags.

The rear seat comfort stays the same and it really depends how one feels about it. I am 6' and my family members are well built too. We generally avoid taking our Scorp for long journeys. So much so that last year we actually hired an Innova taxi for our single day Jalandhar - delhi- jalandhar dash
Old 19th May 2009, 18:41   #1422
Senior - BHPian

@agbenny: The alloys on my scorp have a slight +ve offset and the tires are 255/75/15(stock 1st gen scorpio tire size is 235/75/15), so the tires tend to jut out a little.
Old 19th May 2009, 19:00   #1423
Senior - BHPian

actually even if im interested in buying a scorpio not now, a few months later (hopefully), only thing that concerns me is the new mahindra suv coming in. That definitely will make the Scorpio an old model even if the new suv is a different platform and different segment.
any confirmed reports on the actual release date of the W201 as they call the code name for the new suv.

Last edited by vinaydas : 19th May 2009 at 19:01.
Old 20th May 2009, 10:38   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well it is not absolutely essential to own a Scorpio or for that matter any other brand if it does not suit your requirement
You are right. But I have already made that mistake once. I own an Aveo that doesn't suits my requirement. I don't want to do that again.

I like the looks of Scorpio, Its is more personal, I believe some SUVs like Endeavor, Terracan, Tuscan and even (to me) safari is missing. This Jeep (!) gives me the feel that Indians can certainly do well in car designing. M&M have done that well.

But as I said I have few requirements which are missing, I am curious to know if it is getting improved, so one day I can own one Scorpio, Thats why I am following up this thread.

Last edited by agbenny : 20th May 2009 at 10:39.
Old 20th May 2009, 10:41   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
actually even if im interested in buying a scorpio not now, a few months later (hopefully), only thing that concerns me is the new mahindra suv coming in. That definitely will make the Scorpio an old model even if the new suv is a different platform and different segment.
any confirmed reports on the actual release date of the W201 as they call the code name for the new suv.
I believe you need not worry about this, as I am sure M&M will not stop Scorpio, which is a very successful car to them. They are certainly planning to line up new SUVs in their portfolio.
One think you may not want to worry about Scorpio is, newer designs with refreshed looks might be coming in once in 18 months at least.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks