Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2009, 13:57   #1711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
but trust me that there will be a time when you would want more out of your vehicle and thats when you will realize the power of "4"
Couldn't agree more!
Mind you, I am not an OTR person!
It is NOT only at OTR events that 4WD pays back!
Please bear this in mind and take a good look at the number of repentant Scorpio & Safari owners.
You want to join the list?!
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:24   #1712

Being an avid lover of the mean machine, I wanted for so long to jump onto this band wagon and share the pictures of my ride. The day has finally come, after I took part in the Mahindra Great Escape held for the first time in Hyderabad (53rd Mahindra Great Escape, Hyderabad) and I could experience the off road manners of this beast, although a 2WD. Let me tell you that I was completely blown away with the off road experience, and have become a Mahindra fan for life. Though the track chosen here was considered a soft one for 4WD vehicles (Ace rallyst – Hari Singh was part of the team to choose the track), it was pretty challenging for all the rest of us 2WD mortals as there were small streams to cross and some steep inclines soon after. It was a test of endurance for the machine and a test of skill for the driver.

I have owned this Scorpio for about 3.5yrs (CRDe 2.6 2WD) and have covered about 65K KM, almost all of it on highways, and have not had any problems to date. I have a special regard for the Scorpio on highways and I have touched speeds of upto 150KM/H in the past. I have recently changed my tyres to an up size (Hankook 255 65R 16). (In fact wanted to go to 265 or 275 but did not) I am very impressed with the way these up size tyres handle at high speeds. I should have changed to these as soon as I bought the vehicle.

Below are a few pictures of my ride from the Great Escape event. Enjoy!!

Old 22nd September 2009, 17:58   #1713
Senior - BHPian

Caraddict, lovely pics of your Scorpio! Looks mean enough to do the needful!

My car is just a shade newer than yours (Aug 2006) and yet to see 24000 on the odo, LOL!
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:19   #1714
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

i second that - great pics of the black scorp

anup - my scorp is about a year and a half old now and I ve already hit 20K plus kms on it.
have been lazy to take newer pics and update/ post them though
but suffice it to say that the vehicle is going strong and is as enjoyable as it was the first day I got it.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Caraddict, lovely pics of your Scorpio! Looks mean enough to do the needful!

My car is just a shade newer than yours (Aug 2006) and yet to see 24000 on the odo, LOL!
Old 23rd September 2009, 00:35   #1715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
well scorp wrap if you do intend to be an asphalt cowboy a 2wd is sufficient
but trust me that there will be a time when you would want more out of your vehicle and thats when you will realize the power of "4"
a months wait is a lot better than years of repentance
at nip nice photos
at mathur saab glad you liked the pics
at raj congratulations on the gain in performance
Offroadie: Heart was set on 4WD but head (and bank balance) says 2WD . So this time it is going to be 2WD. Also, I have gone from having decided to buy only a Honda - having booked it and cancelled - then almost went for Corolla to MAHINDRA SCORPIO. Many people have ridiculed me for the same - but I was really excited when I drove the truck . More on this in my other thread.

If all goes well then hope to upgrade to 4WD World Scorpio in three years :-)

Also, finally got to see my scorpio in the yard yesterday. Hope to get the delivery over the weekend. Would try to share the pictures if possible.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:14   #1716
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pics of my old workhorse - the Scorpio 2.6 GLX, non CRDe. The odo reading now shows 1.85 lakh kms. The engine has become noisy, acceleration has suffered a bit & some amount of vibrations have creeped in (i suspect the engine mounts). But otherwise the car is running fine with absolutely no issues whatsoever. The car has been put to a lot of rough treatment, has travelled over the worst of roads which explains the condition of tyres (the tyres are to be changed next week). Still there is no rattling from anywhere, even my new mHawk had some rattles! The AC blower squeaks sometimes, but thats it. I had thought about adding alloys to the car but considering the rough treatment it goes through, alloys is a bad idea. As you can see from the pics, the wheel caps are fully scratched & the alloys, if installed, will meet the same fate.
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-210920091067.jpg
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-210920091068.jpg
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-210920091069.jpg
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-210920091070.jpg
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-210920091071.jpg
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-210920091076.jpg

Why? Because it has to consistently travel on roads as shown below! No off roading required but when it rains, these roads turn into slush tracks with huge pointed stones acting as grip!
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-220920091102.jpg
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-220920091104.jpg
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-220920091106.jpg

Talking about the M2di, its used as a taxi & does have some rattling but thats more because it has rarely been to the service centre except for normal services. Rattling apart, it has shown no issues till date.
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-220920091094.jpg
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-220920091110.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-210920091075.jpg  

Last edited by raj_5004 : 24th September 2009 at 10:16.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:29   #1717
NIP
Senior - BHPian

caraddict those are some nice pics and your scorpio is a real looker !

Raj...1.85 lakhs...wow !! I've done 65k in 5 years. This is the kind of stuff that gives me more faith in my vehicle. I think you need to give her a nice 'salon' treatment and give her a good service and change all the worn parts. She deserves it. btw...that black taxi is yours also !?? Whats that thing on the front bonnet ??
Old 24th September 2009, 11:35   #1718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Raj...1.85 lakhs...wow !! I've done 65k in 5 years. This is the kind of stuff that gives me more faith in my vehicle. I think you need to give her a nice 'salon' treatment and give her a good service and change all the worn parts. She deserves it. btw...that black taxi is yours also !?? Whats that thing on the front bonnet ??
yes buddy, she deserves a service & a polish job too but not yet got the chance to do it.

yes, the taxi is ours & there is nothing on the bonnet, just a reflection!
Old 24th September 2009, 11:54   #1719
BHPian

Scorpio mHawk SLE Pics

Hi Guys,

I have just joined the community. Below are the pictures of my 6 month old mHawk SLE. Done 10K+ kms. The only trip its been so far to is Delhi-Haridwar (had to take my parents before i embark on my own trips !!!). Planning to go to Rajsthan in this winter and either Ladakh or Sangla valley in next summers.
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-p1020018.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-p1020019.jpg  

Old 24th September 2009, 14:21   #1720
Senior - BHPian

JKBKS, welcome!
Waiting to see this beauty atop Khardung or Kunzum!
Old 24th September 2009, 14:21   #1721
BANNED

raj - do you feel that the metal gauge seems thinner in the new Scorpios in comparison with the old ones?

1.85 lakh kms on that Scorp is no mean achievement I must say - is your old one a 2004 bought Scorp?

[quote=raj_5004;1499164]Here are some pics of my old workhorse - the Scorpio 2.6 GLX, non CRDe.
Old 24th September 2009, 14:31   #1722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Hi Guys,

I have just joined the community. Below are the pictures of my 6 month old mHawk SLE. Done 10K+ kms. The only trip its been so far to is Delhi-Haridwar (had to take my parents before i embark on my own trips !!!). Planning to go to Rajsthan in this winter and either Ladakh or Sangla valley in next summers.
welcome to the club buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
raj - do you feel that the metal gauge seems thinner in the new Scorpios in comparison with the old ones?

1.85 lakh kms on that Scorp is no mean achievement I must say - is your old one a 2004 bought Scorp?
shankar, the newer ones are equally heavy & is built with the same heavy metal but somewhere i feel the "build quality" in the newer ones is compromised. in layman language, i would say the older ones were much 'tougher'!

my non-CRDe was bought in May 2003.
Old 24th September 2009, 14:47   #1723
BANNED

yes this is something even I feel instinctively - just the feel of the old non crde vehicle is somehow "tougher" and "more solid" than the newer ones - dont know why - it is something completely intangible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
shankar, the newer ones are equally heavy & is built with the same heavy metal but somewhere i feel the "build quality" in the newer ones is compromised. in layman language, i would say the older ones were much 'tougher'!

my non-CRDe was bought in May 2003.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:04   #1724
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Hey JKBKS...nice scorp there. Welcome to the club. Your vehicle would look better without those nudge bars in the front and especially in the back. Looks 'taxi' to me.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:40   #1725
BHPian

Thanks Anup, Raj and Nip.

Nip: I have put bars for protecting the bumpers and not for anything else. 'Looks' have never been a priority and at the age of 38, I tend to look more at function than form. But believe me, the traffic I drive in, the bars are a must. Have already been rear ended twice and found people are scared to cut in front, even in traffic, because of the bars. This results in smoother tension free drives since I am the one cutting in others' way now !!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed