Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 11:01   #2146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hey, nice pictures anjan. i like the way you have maintained your car.

i have never been a fan of silver in the scorpio but now i think its not at all a bad colour. infact in the second pic, the car looks amazing.
Was it for me Raj ?
Old 5th April 2010, 12:24   #2147
Senior - BHPian

oops, sorry buddy, it was for you!!!

i dont know why i mentioned anjan's name! maybe i was in some other world!
Old 5th April 2010, 12:40   #2148
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Some pics of my rather mud-stained and dirty Scorpio in a kutcha road in Coorg.

The 2WD Scorpio is pretty powerful and can handle all sorts of terrain which I reaffirmed for myself over the last few days.

However there was one place I went to which has a steep 50 degree slope and onto which I simply didnt have the confidence to take the Scorpio. The last 2 pics attached really dont do justice to the angle and the steepness of the road though.

Its a narrow-ish mud road with loose stones, mud and so on, which I didnt want to chance taking the vehicle onto, even in bottom gear.

A standard Mahindra 4WD CL 500 jeepwent up peacefully in 1st gear with 4WD engaged. Chugging up such places is that vehicle's specialty. Pretty comfy too I must say.

The Scorpio rear wheels would surely have started spinning on account of its sheer weight and for lack of traction. I would surely have fried my clutch into the bargain!

There was some 30-40 cents of rain there the previous day so there was a lot of top-soil slushy bits which formed a lovely thick coating on my tyres - this would surely have caused wheel spin while going up and hence a nicely burnt out clutch.

Therefore I parked up at the bottom of that hill and walked.
Discretion being the better part of valour, atleast until I get a 4WD Scorp!
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc04700.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc04698.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc04699.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc04694.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc04697.jpg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th April 2010 at 12:50.
Old 5th April 2010, 16:00   #2149
Senior - BHPian

The scorpio in the true element, excellent pics Shankar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

The 2WD Scorpio is pretty powerful and can handle all sorts of terrain which I reaffirmed for myself over the last few days.

However there was one place I went to which has a steep 50 degree slope and onto which I simply didnt have the confidence to take the Scorpio. The last 2 pics attached really dont do justice to the angle and the steepness of the road though.

Its a narrow-ish mud road with loose stones, mud and so on, which I didnt want to chance taking the vehicle onto, even in bottom gear.

A standard Mahindra 4WD CL 500 jeepwent up peacefully in 1st gear with 4WD engaged. Chugging up such places is that vehicle's specialty. Pretty comfy too I must say.

The Scorpio rear wheels would surely have started spinning on account of its sheer weight and for lack of traction. I would surely have fried my clutch into the bargain!

There was some 30-40 cents of rain there the previous day so there was a lot of top-soil slushy bits which formed a lovely thick coating on my tyres - this would surely have caused wheel spin while going up and hence a nicely burnt out clutch.

Old 5th April 2010, 22:34   #2150
BHPian

Here are a few pics from my end:
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-scorp_tbhp1-1024x750.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-scorp_tbp2-1024x768.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-img_0740-1024x768.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-img_0624-1024x768.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-img_0823-1024x768.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-img_0780-1024x768.jpg  

Old 5th April 2010, 22:56   #2151
BHPian

We had gone for a mild offroading and fitting of Petes box - to someplace near Thane and this is where the zoomed pic was taken- actually, there are beautiful videos with wheel spinning when one side of vehicle was lifted on the sideboard on a mound and some other stunts that we tried to pull. The man in white T shirt you see is our fried HVKumar who was our guide that day. I ll dig out some non -zoomed snaps if I have - in any case, next time I ll surely be careful- not to zoom it - if it spoils the pic.

The kids- yepp they are the biggest fans of Shrek II in my village. They were around each morning when we used to was the car and of course they got free rides as well. I could feel their infectious joy and you could help but smile. Shrek perhaps has been happiest with those kids around showering all the attention. Of course the kid is looking into the mirror and preparing for the photo session!

Since, you
Quote:
the kids playing with your car is cute but whats that kid doing with your ORVM?!!!

i liked the first pic, it would have been great if it was not zoomed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Beautiful surroundings...
Thanks M-upreti.

Last edited by shatrughna : 5th April 2010 at 22:59.
Old 5th April 2010, 23:51   #2152
BHPian

Some more pics from mild OTR day.
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-image00001.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-image00002.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-image00003.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-image00004.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-image00005.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-image00006.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-image00007.jpg  

Old 6th April 2010, 16:12   #2153
Senior - BHPian

Shatrughna, the first pic seems to say that the vehicle is meant for that road, the long bonnet on that road feels like I am driving it . Where are the bullguards Or are these pics before you got them ?
Old 6th April 2010, 16:35   #2154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

I think that your Scorp would have effortlessly climbed the slope. Give it a try. I've done very steep slopes on similar terrain many times in my 2wd Scorpio.
Old 6th April 2010, 17:25   #2155
Senior - BHPian

@ casperrider: nice pics buddy, especially the 3rd, 4th & 5th ones.
Old 6th April 2010, 17:43   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
@ casperrider: nice pics buddy, especially the 3rd, 4th & 5th ones.
Just incase if you want to know the location, it's just about 120 KMs from Pune, a plateau of wild flowers located north of Satara, calld Kas. Best time to visit is July-Oct.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:21   #2157
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

interesting view Wolf.

this time I will unhesitatingly admit that I was chicken, frankly on account of having got stuck many times in my teenage years with my Dad's old jeep in seriously deep slush and on crazy inclines in the estate and in my own Gypsies and Bolero later in similar conditions.

The thing is the slope was a clean 50 degree incline.

The surface had a few stones embedded in it but these were quite loose and therefore a bad bet for traction. the surrounding bits of the road were composed of dry, fine powder like mud with absolutely no purchase on day 1.

On day 3 when I went again to the same place, it was muddy and slushy on account of 30-40 cents of rain on day 2.

the first time we went, I tried climbing but the jeep was suffering - I could tell - quite possibly on account of its sheer weight - 3 passengers in it, me, my wife and my friend. No other load/ luggage in the vehicle.

The ac was off, the windows were down, I was in first gear and trying to go up - it is almost a 90 degree turn just before that 50 degree slope, so there is no question of building enough momentum before attacking the slope per se. And it is not a gradual incline - it literally takes off right there from the bottom of the hill itself.

So trying to grind up in bottom gear, I was losing traction very badly on account of the loose surface and my engine revs were dropping way too quickly and I could smell that odd burning smell, which signifies the beginning of a "clutch frying exercise".

Hence, I stopped and rolled back quietly.

That old Mahindra Jeep who went up the same slope a little later stopped at the bottom, engaged 4WD and 1st gear and literally ground up that slope without taking his foot off the accelerator and totally without pausing even once. Only when he got to the top, did he pause and change to second. Best part is that he had a full load of 4 passengers plus assorted stuff in that vehicle!

I know I could have done the same in a 4WD Mahindra or a Gypsy, and perhaps even in a 4WD Scorp or Bolero, but having said that, I personally wouldnt attempt it in a 2WD Scorp, Bolero, Jeep/Gypsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I think that your Scorp would have effortlessly climbed the slope. Give it a try. I've done very steep slopes on similar terrain many times in my 2wd Scorpio.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th April 2010 at 11:23.
Old 9th April 2010, 17:24   #2158
BHPian

I saw this thread and could not resist. I am putting some pics shot from my Scorpio and of my Scorpio. Its a July 2006 model and done about 130,000 troublefree kms.

I will post some more images later.
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-scorpio4.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-scorpio1.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-scorpio3.jpg  

Old 12th April 2010, 09:56   #2159
BHPian

My "X" Scorpio. Bought in 2006. Sold in 2009. Inbetween did 60000 Kms with 40% softroading. I still miss her.
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc04172.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc04173.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc04174.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc04181.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc04183.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc04270.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc04346.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc04353.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-manu-51.jpg  

Old 12th April 2010, 10:41   #2160
BHPian

My New Scorpio. 2009 Oct. Done 10000kms. Mostly on road. Should start taking off the road now!!
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc03697.jpg  

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc03705.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks