Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2008, 13:25   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
from what i've heard the 2.6 non crde engine is far better than the crde version.
Ah! The much debated question!
In some ways, Pavan, what you've been told is correct. That engine is very basic, gives you the merits of a diesel's lugging ability in a way that the CRDe cannot match. Less technology means less thingys to go wrong/bad! Taxi operators strongly prefer that one. Which is why M&M are offering the M2DI (the Bolero engine) in the Scorpio now. Mainly for that group of buyers.

The CRDe is, on the other hand, a much more refined engine and more pleasurable to drive for 'enthusiasts', if such a term applies to SUVs!
The fact that a suspension re-jig was done with the launch of the CRDe model has gone quite some distance toward making the ride quality far better than the earlier breed of Scorpios. The interiors were also re-organised and the 'new' Scorpios are much more user-friendly.
Old 12th June 2008, 13:34   #62
Senior - BHPian

Where'z my friend mansidea ? I am sure his Scorpio will take the cake.
Old 12th June 2008, 13:50   #63
Senior - BHPian

@pavan.kadam: thanks sir, as you said the non crde is better than the crde one, but i started like the new mhawk after ripping it for a day.

@anupmathur: i totally agree to this "Less technology means less thingys to go wrong/bad!"
Old 12th June 2008, 14:33   #64
BHPian

@ Raj- good to have started this thread to share Scorpio stories here.

I will be booking in a day -a VLX, black, 7 seater ( non captain) today and hope to get it next week. I wanted a 4X4 but no option available as yet.

Hope to read about the expectations I can have from this vehicle. Had tested it briefly when it was launched with Safari in my heart so never actually evaluated its good points/ not so good points except that it lacks obvious and tactile things- seat height adjustment, lumbar support, overhead ac for rear seat passengers, and electrical ORVMs apart from airbags etc. and what I miss most is 4X4 option as other things could be managed as a retrofit.

Nevertheless, I am sure, its as good an option available an an alternative to Safari.

I ll go through the travelogues links posted in this forum as now I really need to prepare myself for being in Balan's Scorpio country!!
Old 12th June 2008, 15:29   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
O.K. here we go then:

Oh, and I do have my tyres 'SLIMED'. It has been a year now, since 'installing' Slime Puncture Preventative. No punctures yet, though that is no big deal. What IS a big deal is that I have only had to fill in air to the extent of 2 psi at the onset of winter in Delhi (Nov). No pressure loss at all in the normal course, since June last year!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
This sounds very interesting! If not a problem, please do PM more details of where it was done, what the process is & the cost. Thanks
Very interesting. Can you post it .. probably under the Technical threads?
Would be interesting to see this.
Old 12th June 2008, 15:34   #66
BHPian

@raj, Good that you started this.

I am a wannabe - Safari/ Scorpio buyer.. I must admit that this forum has tilted me towards Safari.. I dont want to start any discussions here..

I have not seen other than Sankar Balan/ Chaxy any active Scorpio member. Its good to see the collection in a single place.

All owners, please post your likes/ dislikes... It will help me during my test drives!
Old 12th June 2008, 15:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I was joking anyway about the beer cooler.
I was referring to your choice of colour. I feel SUVs look great in white and shades of white.
i totally agree to you. when we were confused on what to buy (safari 2.2/scorpio 2.2), 1 thing was fixed, it would be in white. both, or for that matter, any SUV looks cool in white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Absence of rear screen de-fogger on 4WD variant.
Flimsy plastic 'protection' plate on the front 'leading' end.
Ground clearance compromised by the side steps and the low front bumper skirts!
i am quite suprised that the 4x4 does not come with a defogger especially since the mahindra provides that in the 4x2. i guess yours is scorpio CRDe Dx variant. does the SLX come with 4x4? it has a defogger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
from what i've heard the 2.6 non crde engine is far better than the crde version.
partly true! the CRDe is leagues ahead in refinement and acceleration. but the non-CRDe engine gives you a punchy shove when the turbo kicks in. and that typical mahindra "grrrrrrrrr" of the engine and the sound of the turbo turns you on!
in city bumper to bumper traffic, i have noticed that autos and taxis used to keep a distance with my older SZ scorpio, i think it was the sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
@ Raj- good to have started this thread to share Scorpio stories here.

I will be booking in a day -a VLX, black, 7 seater ( non captain) today and hope to get it next week. I wanted a 4X4 but no option available as yet.

Hope to read about the expectations I can have from this vehicle. Had tested it briefly when it was launched with Safari in my heart so never actually evaluated its good points/ not so good points except that it lacks obvious and tactile things- seat height adjustment, lumbar support, overhead ac for rear seat passengers, and electrical ORVMs apart from airbags etc. and what I miss most is 4X4 option as other things could be managed as a retrofit.
congrats buddy, i am sure you will love the mHawk. as my new mHawk crossed 1000 kms yesterday, i got a chance to rip the engine and truly it was awesome.
Electical ORVMs and 4x4 is something which even i miss in my hawk. i feel seat adjustment is not necessary as even short drivers can easily see the full bonnet. i dint feel the need for an overhead a/c as the floor vents are good enough for middle row occupants but yes, the passengers in the boot will have a tough time in summers.
Old 12th June 2008, 15:43   #68
Senior - BHPian

@ badboy: pic #3 and #5 is awesome buddy, keep posting!
@ chaxy: thanks buddy...
Old 12th June 2008, 15:46   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
@raj, Good that you started this.
I have not seen other than Sankar Balan/ Chaxy any active Scorpio member. Its good to see the collection in a single place.
All owners, please post your likes/ dislikes... It will help me during my test drives!
with you druva... i think scorpio owners are quite lazy...
but now i feel some of my friends here have taken the effort and the others will follow soon... (i hope!)
Old 12th June 2008, 16:21   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i am quite suprised that the 4x4 does not come with a defogger especially since the mahindra provides that in the 4x2. i guess yours is scorpio CRDe Dx variant. does the SLX come with 4x4? it has a defogger...
No, Raj, the 4X4 was only offered as a package by itself, with no variants, when I was buying in Aug 2006. Only 4 colour choices, 7-seater config only, power-windows (I wanted manual), rear screen wash-wipe, no de-fogger and whatever M&M's team had figured was a 'rational' package for 4X4. They were not willing to negotiate ANY variations, even though this represented the most 'expensive' product in their line-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the passengers in the boot will have a tough time in summers.
LOL, that instantly brought to mind images from the Eminem & Dido song "Stan"!!
Old 12th June 2008, 16:47   #71
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Seem to have missed a snap or two in the earlier post. Pasting it now !

1. On the way to Pondicherry - NH 66. April '08.
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc03484-1.jpg

2. Off the ECR, Pondicherry. April '08.
Name:  DSC03899 1.jpg
Views: 6825
Size:  74.0 KB

3. Taureau et mer...The Bull and the Sea ! Off Pondicherry April 08.
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc03900-1.jpg

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc039011.jpg

4. Bangalore - Mangalore - Ghats NH 17. April 08.
Attachment 20650

And a few more...while arriving at almost 60 K on the odo !

5. On the way to Goa - March 08.
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-dsc029811.jpg

6.At a Scorp meet. Pune Feb 08.
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-mandy-cam-3.jpg

7. A trail of Scorpios- Driving down from Sinhagad Fort,Pune . Scorp meet Feb 08.
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-mandy-cam-14.jpg

8. The Beastly meet. Pune - April 06.
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-scorpioners-meet-april-06-pune-0321.jpg

9. At the Scorpio meet - M&M Nasik Factory visit - Sept 06.
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-b5851.jpg

10. Snarling Beasts - From the Scorp meet Pune - June 07.
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-20070603_47.jpg

After almost 2.5 years of ownership of the beast one can only mention the experience as - Delightful !
Old 12th June 2008, 16:51   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
After almost 2.5 years of ownership of the beast one can only mention the experience as - Delightful !
same here, it just that the experience is of 5 years!
Old 12th June 2008, 17:01   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Where'z my friend mansidea ? I am sure his Scorpio will take the cake.
Thanks RJ.

Here is my Scorp. Not posting much of the details as its available in my Garage. Its 2004 SLX with a new set of Michelins LTX AT. I like Scorps for its refinement, reliablity, comfortable city drive & off road capabilities (Mine is 2WD - waited 2 months in vain for a 4WD).
I would like to have better handling, little more wheel base, space, Good A S S & a good looking rear, in Scorps.

Here goes the pics ...
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-nelliampathi-050.jpg

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-nelliampathi-142a.jpg

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-malampuzha-004.jpg

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-green-berg-049.jpg

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-green-berg-055.jpg

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-green-bergp-192.jpg

with Ram-Hyundai's beauty
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-kalpakavadi-042.jpg

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-palappilly-071.jpg

& my favourite one
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-nelliampathi-071a.jpg

With steeroid's beast
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-palappilly-088.jpg  

Old 12th June 2008, 17:04   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Very interesting. Can you post it .. probably under the Technical threads?
Would be interesting to see this.
Posted at the Ultraseal thread. What luck, someone has started a thread on puncture preventatives just today!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...does-work.html
Old 12th June 2008, 17:13   #75
Senior - BHPian

@ mansidea: all the pics are great buddy! you really have a cool SUV !!!
BTW, even i am a kerelite but residing in mumbai...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed