Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 11:11   #1996
vsh
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hello faustus,
Thanks for the advice. I am looking at large caps only. One thing - How much tax one has to pay for gains on stocks. As far as I remember if your holding period is greater than a year (which is what I planning to hold my stocks for) there is not tax on the capital gains. Is this correct? This 10% tax is on what? buy price?
saanil, if holding period is greater than a year, you dont have to pay any tax. if you sell within a year you have to pay a short term capital gains tax of 15%. tax is to be calculated on your net profit.
vsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 22:05   #1997
BHPian

Continuing with Investment options, here is one thing I got to know from someone: Muthoot Finance NCD. As per my understanding, it is like making an FD but unlike a conventional FD which is made with a bank; this is a little more risky (Please correct me here if I am wrong). The issue opened on Dec 22, 2011 and will close on Jan 07, 2012. The minimum application is of 5 NCDs (Rs 5000), and thereafter, one can invest in multiples of one NCD (Rs 1000). The issue gives an attractive yield in the range of 13%-13.43%, available at various horizons (2 years, 3 years, 5 years etc.). More information can be found here: Muthoot Finance NCD

Guys please advice whether this is a good option to put some money in?

Last edited by Saanil : 28th December 2011 at 22:12.
Old 29th December 2011, 01:41   #1998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hello faustus,
Thanks for the advice. I am looking at large caps only. One thing - How much tax one has to pay for gains on stocks. As far as I remember if your holding period is greater than a year (which is what I planning to hold my stocks for) there is not tax on the capital gains. Is this correct? This 10% tax is on what? buy price?
Saanil
Hi
The tax I mentioned was on the rs 50 there is a service tax of 10.3% on this amount
If shares are held for more than a year then the gains arising are considered to be of long term nature and there is no tax on such gains.
However AFAIK not all the listed shares are exempted from capital gains after 1 year but all the shares that you have considered or I have recommended are exempted
Hope this helps
Regards
Old 29th December 2011, 09:28   #1999
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
However AFAIK not all the listed shares are exempted from capital gains after 1 year
The shares of any company listed in a recognised stock exchange in India are eligible for exemption from the long-term capital gains. See here for details.

Old 29th December 2011, 09:31   #2000

Hello friends! Help me out on this..
I purchased 4000 Pirmal Life Sciences shares on Friday, December 23 2011 @ Rs. 5/sh. when the price declined by more than 90%.

The reason being, the demerger of the NCE Research unit of Piramal Life Sciences into Piramal Healthcare (PHL).

Moneycontrol said, December 26, 2011 was fixed as the record date for determining the entitlement of the shareholders of Piramal Life Sciences, to receive the equity shares of Piramal Healthcare Limited in the ratio 1:4. However, there is no further news in this regard.

Piramal Life falls 91% on demerger of NCE Research unit - Moneycontrol.com -

At present, the bid price is 0 while it is still selling in excess of Rs. 6. What does it mean??
Old 29th December 2011, 22:27   #2001
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBOSA View Post
Hello friends! Help me out on this..
I purchased 4000 Pirmal Life Sciences shares on Friday, December 23 2011 @ Rs. 5/sh. when the price declined by more than 90%.
When was the "no-delivery" / ex-bonus / split dates on the exchange?

Quote:
The reason being, the demerger of the NCE Research unit of Piramal Life Sciences into Piramal Healthcare (PHL).

Moneycontrol said, December 26, 2011 was fixed as the record date for determining the entitlement of the shareholders of Piramal Life Sciences, to receive the equity shares of Piramal Healthcare Limited in the ratio 1:4. However, there is no further news in this regard.

Piramal Life falls 91% on demerger of NCE Research unit - Moneycontrol.com -
Probably, there is some other hurdle to be corssed?

Quote:
At present, the bid price is 0 while it is still selling in excess of Rs. 6. What does it mean??
Nobody wants / willing to buy the shares.
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:23   #2002
Senior - BHPian

What's does everybody think of

Tata Global Beverages
Tata Power and
HCL Infosystems

for long term investement if purchased right now?
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:59   #2003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post

Tata Global Beverages
Tata Power and
HCL Infosystems

Tata global beverages is a good long term as well as a short term investment as currently the stock is rising due to Tata tea's tie up with Starbucks and the latter's entry into the market.

Tata power I would not advise as the power sector badly needs some reforms and till then its better to stay away.

HCLinfosystems - any particular reason you are interested in this stock or just want to ensure you have a IT related holding.If this is the case then a long term investment would be stocks like hexaware where there is a potential for a mega appreciation when compared to hcl since you are considering a long term investment.
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:28   #2004
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post

Tata Global Beverages
Tata Power and
HCL Infosystems

Tata Global is a cyclical stock - if you buy at the right time, you will make good money. But if you don't, you might lose 50 - 75% within a few months. Unless you really know what you are doing, avoid buying Tata Global. Among tea stocks, Goodricke Group is slightly less risky. Their earnings growth is fairly stable.

I too would recommend that you stay away from power companies for now. High debt on books and issues with coal supply might keep most power companies' stock prices depressed. However, Tata Power is one of the best power stocks.

Stay away for HCL Infosystems. Although its dividend yield is high, their sales are stagnant and profits are falling every year. Redington India is one of the best hardware stock. And they are not small either - they had sales of Rs. 17,500 crores in FY11 !
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:48   #2005
BANNED

Guys, need advise for buying good shares for 8 to 10 months period, willing to invest 50 lakhs or should I lend it to a builder at the rate of 30% per year against property ?
Builder is quite big with many projects and good report.
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:16   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
Guys, need advise for buying good shares for 8 to 10 months period, willing to invest 50 lakhs or should I lend it to a builder at the rate of 30% per year against property ?
Builder is quite big with many projects and good report.
I would choose the second option of going with the builder.
At least there is guaranteed 30% returns.

There are only a handful of people to whom market does not owe money
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:01   #2007
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
I would choose the second option of going with the builder.
At least there is guaranteed 30% returns.

There are only a handful of people to whom market does not owe money
There is no such than as a guaranteed 30% return. If you believe that, I got a bridge to sell you.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:11   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
There is no such than as a guaranteed 30% return. If you believe that, I got a bridge to sell you.
then what was jacksons post about? Dint he mention that he has an option of lending the money to the builder for 30% yearly interest?
Or am i missing something? explain.
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:28   #2009
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
then what was jacksons post about? Dint he mention that he has an option of lending the money to the builder for 30% yearly interest?
Or am i missing something? explain.
He didn't use the word 'guaranteed' - if he thinks it's guaranteed, I have a bridge for him too.
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:31   #2010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
He didn't use the word 'guaranteed' - if he thinks it's guaranteed, I have a bridge for him too.
Buddy, read jacksons post once again.He is lending against property.If the builder defaults on 30% no one would be more happy than jacksons.He would be getting more than 30% anyhow.
Meanwhile you can continue selling bridges

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks