76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2016, 18:15   #3286
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
what was your End-of-Year rate of return?
How is your rate of trades (say on monthly basis), ratio of winning and losing, .. ?
Hello Deep Thank you ! My EOY returns were 109 % and ratio of winning to losing trades were 7:3 but current year return from april till date is -29 % with 2:8 ratio due to most of my trades being against the trend and i had kept quite deep stop losses . Anyways its a part of the game.

Quote:
However one concern I come across lot of times is that most of the time huge movement happens in pre-trading session itself,
and you have to make do with fairly less movement during the day making trades untenable.How do you deal with that?
There is nothing we can do about such movements due to strong trending markets but play positionally instead playing of intraday or look for opportunity in other counters
Old 12th July 2016, 20:30   #3287
Senior - BHPian

I had applied for 105 shares of Mahanagar Gas during IPO - this was my first attempt at IPO's. I got only 35.

I had selected the cut-off price, by the way. They still did not give me the quantity I had asked for.
Old 12th July 2016, 20:35   #3288
BHPian

Anyone applying for L&T infotech IPO? Even this will be my first IPO application.
I have kept the bidding to the lower end of the price band.
Old 12th July 2016, 21:22   #3289
BHPian

Bharti Infratel has a buyback offer. how does that work and is it desirable to take the offer?
I would get +10% if I take the buyback offer.
Old 13th July 2016, 08:08   #3290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I had applied for 105 shares of Mahanagar Gas during IPO - this was my first attempt at IPO's. I got only 35.

I had selected the cut-off price, by the way. They still did not give me the quantity I had asked for.
Man you are damn lucky. Even I had applied for same lot of shares at the cut off price and still did not get them. 4-5 colleagues had applied and all same results except for a chap who had applied for almost 2L worth shares and got only 35 shares allotted. Apna bad luck hi kharab hai.
Old 13th July 2016, 08:39   #3291
BHPian

Quote:

Trust me you are very lucky to get allotment. Allotment happened in 1:6 ratio (one out of six applicants got 1 lot). At present Mahanagar Gas is trading below 500/-, you can add as many as you want. When an IPO is oversubscribed (based on number of applications) all the applicants get only one lot i.e. 35 shares in Mahanagar Gas.
Always apply for one lot, in all oversubscribed IPO's, because you can't get more than that. This will help in avoiding money unnecessarily.

For recent Quess Corp IPO, allotment ratio was 1:26 (yes, only one out of 26 applicants got allotment of 1 lot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Anyone applying for L&T infotech IPO? Even this will be my first IPO application.
I have kept the bidding to the lower end of the price band.
As the issue is already oversubscribed there is very little or no chance of allotting shares in lower price band. If you are really keen on this IPO, then edit your application to upper price band to increase your chances of getting allotment.

Disclosure: I am not applying this IPO

Last edited by hillsnrains : 13th July 2016 at 08:44.
Old 13th July 2016, 12:11   #3292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
...IPO allocation is purely on lottery basis (if over subscribed)...
Thanks for clarification ... hillsnrains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookey View Post
...My EOY returns were 109 % and ratio of winning to losing trades were 7:3
That's great .. good thing is you have made progress sequentially, which means your strategies work!!

Quote:
... current year return from april till date is -29 % with 2:8 ratio due to most of my trades being against the trend and i had kept quite deep stop losses
I suppose not many expect the way the resistances are getting broken in Nifty in last few weeks, thus making it difficult to go with this trend.
Do you use any particular software to help you with volumes/trends/etc triggers?

Quote:
... play positionally instead playing of intraday or look for opportunity in other counters
I am new to technical trading, not very confident of leaving trades overnight unless I feel stock is fundamentally sound.
Working on this aspect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
...I have kept the bidding to the lower end of the price band.
Better apply for upper limit, or you can use cut-off bid which anyway should be upper end because at present itself the bids for it are more than no. of shares.
Old 13th July 2016, 12:15   #3293
BHPian

Hi,

Enjoyed reading this - the journey of an investor

https://medium.com/@timhanso/the-hum...054#.3ph03x3rm

Cheers

Vindy
Old 15th July 2016, 20:41   #3294
Senior - BHPian

Hey VindyWheels:
Welcome back to the forum.

While doing my capital gains calculations I looked at my FundsIndia Capital Gains statement for last FY.

I had sold 14 shares of a company at Rs. 750 each. The total amount shown in FundsIndia portal dashboard against this transaction is Rs. 10500.
If I see my "Cash Ledger" report, I see a credit of Rs. 10451.

Now, if I look at the capital gains statement, I see:
Sale Price: Rs. 747.75 (Why is the price not Rs. 750 as I had asked for)
Sale Amount: Rs. 10468
Long Term Profit: 9686.74
And then since I did not sell anything towards the end I see:

Transaction Charges -10.92
Service Tax -132.29
Broker Note -31.16
S T Tax -311.00
Unknown Charge -2.98
Net Profit/Loss: 9198.39

So, did FundsIndia sell shares at 747.50?

Last edited by S_U_N : 15th July 2016 at 20:43.
Old 20th July 2016, 23:35   #3295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
... Always apply for one lot, in all oversubscribed IPO's, because you can't get more than that. This will help in avoiding money unnecessarily....
With so much over-subscription in retail section, does it make sense to bid in NII individual section?
Though the bid will have to be large, the allocation in this section is proportionate to the over-subscription ratio.

However, never tried this and not sure of any caveats attached, anyone with experience on this may comment.
DHRP doesn't talk much except that it should not be a cut-off bid for NIIs.
Old 25th July 2016, 13:53   #3296
BHPian

Quote:
Hey VindyWheels:
Welcome back to the forum.

While doing my capital gains calculations I looked at my FundsIndia Capital Gains statement for last FY.

I had sold 14 shares of a company at Rs. 750 each. The total amount shown in FundsIndia portal dashboard against this transaction is Rs. 10500.

Sale Amount: Rs. 10468
Long Term Profit: 9686.74
And then since I did not sell anything towards the end I see:

Transaction Charges -10.92
Service Tax -132.29
Broker Note -31.16
S T Tax -311.00
Unknown Charge -2.98
Net Profit/Loss: 9198.39

So, did FundsIndia sell shares at 747.50?
You have to pay around 0.45% in lieu of Brokerage + various taxes. 10500-10451=49 must be that amount.
Old 25th July 2016, 19:19   #3297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Let me see if I can help you!

The selling price is determined when orders are matched by NSE / BSE. So the deal gets closed when your 'sell' is matched with a similar 'buy' offer.

When placing the order, in this case a 'sell' price of Rs. 750, there are three ways in which the order can be executed - (a) Limit (b) Market & (c) StopLoss. In the first case, your order will not get executed below the limit; in the second, it will be at market driven price at the time of placing order; in the third, it will be within the margin given by you. Probably you have placed the order at market price? And system must have matched the order at price of about 747.50.

The difference, as gupta_chd says, is on account of the brokerage / fee levied by the trading platform for the facility provided.
Old 26th July 2016, 10:27   #3298
BHPian

Re: FATCA Guidelines

Y'day had been to ICICIDirect office, and the manager there says that FATCA is for mutual fund investments, and does NOT apply for equity investments.
I tried looking at SEBI site, but could NOT find any information on this front. Does any here have more information on this front?

Please share, if you know more about FATCA.
Old 28th July 2016, 00:44   #3299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...So, did FundsIndia sell shares at 747.50?
By the time the orders are executed, it's normal to have a slight variation in the price (especially when we are selling at CMP) because the price fluctuates rather heavily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Let me see if I can help you!

The selling price is determined when orders are matched by NSE / BSE. So the deal gets closed when your 'sell' is matched with a similar 'buy' offer...Probably you have placed the order at market price? And system must have matched the order at price of about 747.50...
I think this is the case. I have noticed that even when we place target price / triggers, it need not sell at the exact same price due to fluctuations.
Old 28th July 2016, 11:54   #3300
Senior - BHPian

Re: FATCA Guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Please share, if you know more about FATCA.
FATCA - Foreign Account Tax Compliant Act - is basically a US Govt (IRS) tax law requirement. It was mainly to detect non payment of taxes by US tax payers. Information to US Govt has to reported by Foreign Financial Institutions.

(For example, say ICICI Bank Ltd., which may have US tax payer as one of its clients, would require FATCA compliance and it will fall under the category of FFI).

Banks and other financial organisations will be required to report information on financial accounts held directly or indirectly by US persons. So FATCA affects personal & business customers (who are treated as US person for US tax purposes). This includes people who have spent some time in US.

Hence, most banks are obtaining a declaration with respect to FATCA (which basically implies that you'll provide the necessary information in respect of your dealings in US and that the FFI can report the transactions to US Govt.).

I feel that the applicability in respect of mutual fund / equity transaction etc. under FATCA is dependent on the type of information that the FFI is required to submit. So if ICICI Direct falls under the category of Financial Institution, then all type of financial transactions have to be reported by them.

You have nothing to fear, as long as you have not violated any US laws

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks