26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 549 44.74%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.38%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1227. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2018, 20:45   #3856
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Is there any type of trading account with low maintenance fees, but may be a little higher trading fee ?

I am rarely active on my account which I had created long time back. I want to sell some and leave others for long term.
Old 3rd May 2018, 20:59   #3857
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is there any type of trading account with low maintenance fees, but may be a little higher trading fee ? I am rarely active on my account which I had created long time back. I want to sell some and leave others for long term.
These days, almost all brokerages have zero or negligible (Rs.250 to Rs. 500 per year) maintenance fees. Just go with the brokerage associated with your bank (Eg: ICICI Bank -> ICICIDirect.com)
Old 3rd June 2018, 00:22   #3858
BHPian

greenply ind is almost 52 weeks low at 256.is it a god buy?
Old 3rd June 2018, 01:32   #3859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is there any type of trading account with low maintenance fees, but may be a little higher trading fee ?

I am rarely active on my account which I had created long time back. I want to sell some and leave others for long term.
Angel broking offers zero demat account maintenance charges if your portfolio exceeds 3 lacs. Brokerage on delivery is also pretty low. I've been offered .16%. Check them out.
Old 22nd July 2018, 00:12   #3860
BHPian

Mid-Caps have corrected much in the last few months.
Planning to go for investments in a few stocks like Vguard, Muthoot finance, Cera sanitary and Indus ind bank. Any suggestions from team-bhp stock experts?
Old 22nd July 2018, 14:02   #3861
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Mid-Caps have corrected much in the last few months.
Yeah, money is flowing into mutual funds but the managers are apparently busy selling their midcap and smallcap holdings. And moving into largecaps.

Quote:
Planning to go for investments in a few stocks like Vguard, Muthoot finance, Cera sanitary and Indus ind bank.
Of the lot, only Muthoot Finance valuations seem to be reasonable.
Old 22nd July 2018, 17:51   #3862
BHPian

Thanks Smartcat. Will wait for further corrections in other scripts. My study says that the companies are doing well, but still why the fund managers prefer to sell them? What is you view about pharma sector. Scripts like Lupin, Ajanta pharma, Sun pharma etc are trading in two year lows. Is it good to enter them with a three year perspective?
Old 22nd July 2018, 21:52   #3863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks Smartcat. Will wait for further corrections in other scripts. My study says that the companies are doing well, but still why the fund managers prefer to sell them?
Sheep mentality I guess. Some fund managers move into large caps and certain favorite stocks, and the rest follow. Because if they don't, they fear that their fund will under-perform the rest.

Quote:
What is you view about pharma sector. Scripts like Lupin, Ajanta pharma, Sun pharma etc are trading in two year lows. Is it good to enter them with a three year perspective?
Earnings are still very unstable (because of various issues). Ajanta Pharma seems to be OK.
Old 15th August 2018, 23:19   #3864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Indeed I did my complete research, and if I am not wrong then I made a mention of HEG somewhere else on the forum when I was a new investor.
HEG 1600+ (I am willing to hold till first 3 dips)
Graphite 800

In the last 365 days, HEG has grown by 800% and Graphite India by 360%.

How did you know these were the stocks to buy ?
Old 20th August 2018, 22:58   #3865
Senior - BHPian

Need advice on Dhampur sugar. I bought this share for Rs. 260 around a year back and now it is priced Rs. 87 per share.

What is the scope of sugar industry shares?

Should I keep it in the portfolio? Buy more at the low price to minimize the loss or keep it in the portfolio and wait for the price increase.
Old 20th August 2018, 23:23   #3866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Need advice on Dhampur sugar. I bought this share for Rs. 260 around a year back and now it is priced Rs. 87 per share.

What is the scope of sugar industry shares?

Should I keep it in the portfolio? Buy more at the low price to minimize the loss or keep it in the portfolio and wait for the price increase.
Sugar is a commodity. Commodities move in cycles. These cycles could be several years long!

For cyclical stocks, one of the parameters one can watch out is the operating margins. For Dhampur Sugar, the OPM (operating margin) looks like this for the last 10 years or so:

OPM % 10.4% 14.32% 20.56% 9.03% 13.21% 14.94% 7.03% 7.48% 9.42% 19.98% 10.58% 9.38%

So the margins are down. You can check other sugar stocks and they will look similar. The entire industry is reeling now because of over production (which is typical of a cyclical). It can take time for things to move up again! Just see that from 20% to again 20% margin (or 19.98%) it took 7 years!
Old 21st August 2018, 00:16   #3867
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
What is the scope of sugar industry shares? Should I keep it in the portfolio? Buy more at the low price to minimize the loss or keep it in the portfolio and wait for the price increase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Sugar is a commodity. Commodities move in cycles. These cycles could be several years long! It can take time for things to move up again! Just see that from 20% to again 20% margin (or 19.98%) it took 7 years!
There are three parameters to look at before investing in sugar stocks -

1) Price to book value has to be less than 1. Meaning the stock is trading at less than its networth.
2) Debt to equity ratio has to be less than 0.5. During bad times, the losses won't be that bad.
3) History of 20% plus dividend payout ratio during good times. Implies the management is honest.

Andhra sugars, Balrampur Chini and Ponni Erode Sugars meet the above three criteria. Data is available on www.screener.in. You need to have tons of patience to invest in sugar stocks. And get out after you have doubled or tripled your money.

Or

You could invest in DCM Shriram, a diversified company with businesses like sugar, chemicals, fertilizers etc. This can be held for the long term. No need to worry about right entry and exit valuations.

Last edited by SmartCat : 21st August 2018 at 00:22.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 09:03   #3868
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

I bought some shares of Infosys in May 2017 and recently the share went through a 1:1 bonus. I was expecting the number of shares to double in my account. But, it is still the same. When can I expect it to go double in number?
Old 5th September 2018, 12:11   #3869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I bought some shares of Infosys in May 2017 and recently the share went through a 1:1 bonus. I was expecting the number of shares to double in my account. But, it is still the same. When can I expect it to go double in number?
Wait for two to three days and check your demat allocation. You may need to update your portfolio manually to reflect the bonus shares.
Old 5th September 2018, 12:25   #3870
BANNED

Yor will get an email when bonus shares are deposited. (After), This happens pretty soon- within a few days a shares going ex-bonus in the market.

Most Viewed