26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2018, 13:55   #3886
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Any demat experts in Bangalore? The query is not about using the demat account itself. Please PM me.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th September 2018 at 17:30. Reason: edited
Old 28th September 2018, 14:24   #3887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
This looks interesting and almost similar to Upstox except for the MF bit, which is not a priority because I am already invested in MF directly and am not looking at MF anymore.

From an AMC perspective, would you know which one would work out cheaper? I can't seem to find that detail on both their websites.
AMC ? - Mutual funds. Zerodha is the cheapest option available for both equity and direct Mutual funds(MFU too). Equity buying absolutely Zero charges. Equity selling Rs.20/security.
Old 28th September 2018, 16:20   #3888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
AMC ? - Mutual funds. Zerodha is the cheapest option available for both equity and direct Mutual funds(MFU too). Equity buying absolutely Zero charges. Equity selling Rs.20/security.
don't all demat account have an AMC charge? Some of the banks charge around 500 to 750 per anum as AMC along with the brokerage which is charged separately.
Old 28th September 2018, 16:25   #3889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Any demat experts in Bangalore ? Need specific guidance to a very unique problem we are having.
Would love to here out what the problem is and assist in any way in finding a solution.
Old 29th September 2018, 09:20   #3890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
don't all demat account have an AMC charge? Some of the banks charge around 500 to 750 per anum as AMC along with the brokerage which is charged separately.
My bad I was thinking of Asset Management Company. I have attached the screenshot of the AMC in Zerodha.
Old 5th October 2018, 15:42   #3891
Distinguished - BHPian

Markets in a free fall. Looks like the issue is more than just skin deep. Oil/USD could not be the issue.
Old 5th October 2018, 15:43   #3892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I would strongly recommend
I did open an account with them and it has been a bad experience since then. they created a demat account with enabling the BSE index for me, so I only have the NSE listed and it is a pain to get through to their CC and even when you get through, they are rude and abrupt. The issue is still pending for 2 days now and with no line of sight as to when it would be resolved.

I would not suggest anyone to open their demat account with zerodha, especially the novices like me, who probably do not understand the complete nuisances.
Old 5th October 2018, 15:53   #3893
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Markets in a free fall. Looks like the issue is more than just skin deep. Oil/USD could not be the issue.
Rising interesting rates and roaring GDP growth in United States. Looks like FIIs who have been invested in emerging markets like India are pulling out and investing in US short term bonds and equity markets. S&P500, Dow Jones and NASDAQ are close to all time highs.
Old 5th October 2018, 16:54   #3894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Rising interesting rates and roaring GDP growth in United States. Looks like FIIs who have been invested in emerging markets like India are pulling out and investing in US short term bonds.
Yes, true that. I also suppose it has a thing or two to do with cancellation of NBFC licenses by the RBI. Hope that another financial crisis is not on the making. This time, originating from India.
Old 5th October 2018, 19:16   #3895
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice time to start investing in NSE in stages.
Old 15th October 2018, 13:30   #3896

I have just finished reading 'the little book that still beats the market' by Joel Greenblatt. Came across it when I heard about Joel Greenblatt on a podcast and was looking him up. I'm not from the finance industry and have only now started to understand the various terminology and ratios used with respect to valuing stocks. The book was extremely fascinating for a novice like me. However it got me to wonder if anyone has actually used 'the magic formula' while investing in the Indian stock market and how the strategy performed . Any ideas? Have any of you tried?
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:34   #3897
Senior - BHPian

I want expert's take on DHFL. I have bought DHFL stocks at an average price of Rs. 650 and now the stock is about to fall below 200.

Since the NBFC story is little fishy, I am afraid if stocks like DHFL can go even low and turn into a penny stock.

What should be my strategy with NBFC stocks? I also have India bulls housing finance and facing loss there as well.

I often think to protect my remaining capital and invest somewhere else but the thought of 'be greedy when others are fearful' is holding me back to book losses.

PS - I am not in any urgent need of liquidity.
Old 22nd October 2018, 13:12   #3898
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I want expert's take on DHFL. I have bought DHFL stocks at an average price of Rs. 650 and now the stock is about to fall below 200. Since the NBFC story is little fishy, I am afraid if stocks like DHFL can go even low and turn into a penny stock.
Tough to give advice on a stock that has fallen so much and sadly, there is not much information in public domain either. There are some rumors that they borrowed funds from T-series at 24% pa, which implies they have a severe cash crunch.

Quote:
What should be my strategy with NBFC stocks? I also have India bulls housing finance and facing loss there as well.
I bought IBULHSGFIN couple of years back, and is now back to my purchase price. I would prefer to wait for another 6 to 8 months and see how much dividend they announce in FY19. If dividend per share is more or less than same as in FY18, it means the company is fine. If dividend is stopped or slashed by a large margin, I will get out.

Dewan Housing sadly doesn't pay much dividend (as a percentage of profits). So we cannot use the above dividend strategy for making exit decisions. Banks and NBFCs can hide bad news for a long time - we have seen how PSU Banks dress up their books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjax View Post
I have just finished reading 'the little book that still beats the market' by Joel Greenblatt. Came across it when I heard about Joel Greenblatt on a podcast and was looking him up. I'm not from the finance industry and have only now started to understand the various terminology and ratios used with respect to valuing stocks. The book was extremely fascinating for a novice like me. However it got me to wonder if anyone has actually used 'the magic formula' while investing in the Indian stock market and how the strategy performed . Any ideas? Have any of you tried?
Joel Greenblatt's strategy of investing in low PE high RoE stocks is fundamentally sound, and is likely to work in all markets.

Last edited by SmartCat : 22nd October 2018 at 13:32.
Old 22nd October 2018, 15:08   #3899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjax View Post
You can use screener to filter out stocks based on it. Here is one such public screen available - https://www.screener.in/screens/59/Magic-Formula/

You can tweak the values and play around with it to learn more.
Old 22nd October 2018, 16:00   #3900
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
You can use screener to filter out stocks based on it. Here is one such public screen available - https://www.screener.in/screens/59/Magic-Formula/

You can tweak the values and play around with it to learn more.
This is the query corresponding to that formula -

Return on invested capital > 25 and
Earnings yield > 15 and
Book value > 0 AND
Market Capitalization > 15

It's not the same as Joel Greenblatt's magic formula at all.

I had investigated ways of reproducing the formula for India. The only way is to buy a subscription for a database (which costs around a lakh or more) & then write a program to apply the formula to the database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Since the NBFC story is little fishy, I am afraid if stocks like DHFL can go even low and turn into a penny stock.
I find Repco Home Finance to be one of the value picks in the NBFC sector. Mohnish Pabrai also had picked up for his American mutual fund 4-5 months back when it was much higher.

http://rakesh-jhunjhunwala.in/mohnis...indian-stocks/

Last edited by carboy : 22nd October 2018 at 16:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks