26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2020, 16:38   #4306
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

I don't know what sales pitch Mukesh Ambani is making, but Jio is seeing a huge influx of capital from abroad.
The stock of the parent company (Reliance Industries) seems to be benefiting from this - I sold all my holdings today after it rose almost 55% from march first week levels.
I don't see it going down anytime soon, maybe it will need another major market swing to tank like it did at the start of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Adding Gold to the mix is a good idea. Allocate 10% to 30% of your capital to Gold. On its own, Gold has generated 12% pa returns. As a bonus, Gold reduces volatility of your portfolio - because Gold performs well when stocks are crashing. Take either the ETF/MF route or sovereign gold bonds route.
Any idea if i can purchase these gold ETF / Mutual funds through Zerodha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I had purchased Voda at 3.2 and exited at 4.7 .
I took a chance by buying it today
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 16:53   #4307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
What are the options in MF to have an exposure in gold? Do MFs track gold price the same way an ETF would track? Is there any disadvantage in MF's compared to ETF in terms of expense ratio etc.?
Since you don't have a demat account, stick to Gold mutual funds. ETFs are probably cheaper (I haven't checked) than mutual funds, but then you have to pay brokerage, securities transaction tax, NSE charges, bid ask spread etc. I think net net, the difference between the two options will be negligible.

I have made this table for Gold mutual funds:

Do you play the stock market-gold.jpg

The returns beyond 1 Yr table is annualized (aka CAGR returns). Choose mutual funds that have low expense ratio, high AUM and history of above average returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
Any idea if i can purchase these gold ETF / Mutual funds through Zerodha?
For Gold ETF, use http://kite.zerodha.com. For Gold mutual funds, use http://coin.zerodha.com. You can buy sovereign gold bonds at https://zerodha.com/gold/

Do you play the stock market-sgb.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 8th June 2020 at 16:56.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 17:13   #4308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Another thing that makes me curious is why do people (almost never) talk about buying stocks when the the market/economy is down. I am a long term investor but I also would not leave an opportunity to buy Reliance for INR 950 in the year 2020 (its trading at close to 1600 now).
And this is the only reason why I bought some stocks when the markets were down - there is no other way I can get an entry into buying some when the markets were up. I did some research and invested and have made back all the money I put in.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 08:09   #4309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since you don't have a demat account, stick to Gold mutual funds...

I have made this table for Gold mutual funds:
Thank you so much. Have saved this. When the next re-balancing comes up, I will do some allocation in Gold.

Came across this article in FB.

It's official: US economy is in recession

Will this trigger a correction in Indian stock market today? Will this drive Gold price higher?

EDIT: Another doubt. Given the higher volatility in Gold, should I consider Gold as part of my debt portfolio or equity?

Last edited by graaja : 9th June 2020 at 08:18.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 08:17   #4310
BHPian

Hi all,
One of my friends has a Zerodha trading account and is a newbie to shares. He wants to invest 1.20L into some company shares and hold it for atleast a year or two, before selling them for a profit. Any advise would be helpful.

Last edited by SS80 : 9th June 2020 at 08:18. Reason: Typo
Old 9th June 2020, 09:09   #4311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will this trigger a correction in Indian stock market today?
Recession in US and all over the world is "old news" for the stock market. It is already known, so it will not affect the markets. Anyway, bookmark this link:
https://www.investing.com/indices/indices-futures

These are index "futures" prices that trade 24/5. If you want to find out how US or Indian market might open the next day, you can look up these prices.

Quote:
Will this drive Gold price higher?
What drives Gold prices higher is future uncertainty. Eg: in March 2020, the markets could not figure out the consequences of Covid-19 pandemic and lockdown. Money fled stocks and got into Gold. In the future, what could drive Gold prices higher is second wave of covid-19 infections all over the world. Or if there is some kind of conflict between Iran/USA or China/USA. Basically, Gold gets a life of its own when it is difficult to predict the outcome of a global event.

Gold in INR will shoot up when there is economic or geopolitical uncertainty on India front too. That's because bad news for India means USD will appreciate against INR (Eg: Rs. 75 to Rs. 82). This will result in 10% Gold appreciation too in INR terms, because Gold is priced in USD.

Quote:
Given the higher volatility in Gold, should I consider Gold as part of my debt portfolio or equity?
Gold is a separate asset class. That's why I mentioned 10% to 30% allocation to Gold, depending on how "scared" you are of stock market crashes. If March 2020 crash freaked you out, crank up your Gold allocation. But if you were "cool" in March 2020, you can stick to minimum Gold allocation. Higher Gold allocation in your portfolio makes it outperform in a bear market, but your overall portfolio will underperform a pure equity fund in a bull market.

When you upload your portfolio to www.valueresearchonline.com, it automatically separates your equity, debt and gold (commodities) allocation.

Do you play the stock market-allocation.jpg

Note: There is a separate class of mutual funds that invest in a mix of equity, debt and gold at a ratio of 65%, 25% and 10% respectively. These are called "Multi Asset Hybrid Funds".
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...s&tab=snapshot

Last edited by SmartCat : 9th June 2020 at 09:32.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 09:39   #4312
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Recession in US and all over the world is "old news" for the stock market. It is already known, so it will not affect the markets...

Gold is a separate asset class. That's why I mentioned 10% to 30% allocation to Gold, depending on how "scared" you are of stock market crashes. If March 2020 crash freaked you out, crank up your Gold allocation. But if you were "cool" in March 2020, you can stick to minimum Gold allocation.
Thanks a lot for the information.

During the March 2020 crash, I was actually looking how to bring in fresh investments

So, I think I will keep Gold at a minimum % - maybe 10%.
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 09:55   #4313
Team-BHP Support

Idea is already down by 20% today morning. And it looks like only selling pressure is there, so could expect more downfall?

Looks like the whole 'Google is interested' saga has trapped quite a few investors in the last two days.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th June 2020 at 10:15.
Old 9th June 2020, 10:47   #4314
BHPian

Quote:
When you upload your portfolio to www.valueresearchonline.com, it automatically separates your equity, debt and gold (commodities) allocation.

[/url]
Hi SmartCat , do you or anyone else know a tool or process to real-time track a portfolio that has a mix of Shares, Mutual Funds, PPF,EPF , Foreign stocks e.g. nasdaq listed, gold etc. ? Happy to pay for such service if available.
Old 9th June 2020, 13:36   #4315
Senior - BHPian

Gurus, any idea why the RECL stock never features in the Top Losers or Gainers list of Money Control or any other prominent sites?
Old 9th June 2020, 15:52   #4316
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Hi SmartCat , do you or anyone else know a tool or process to real-time track a portfolio that has a mix of Shares, Mutual Funds, PPF,EPF , Foreign stocks e.g. nasdaq listed, gold etc. ? Happy to pay for such service if available.
moneycontrol.com, mprofit.in and valueresearchonline.com tracks all these assets, except foreign stocks. www.investing.in tracks indian stocks, foreign stocks, mutual funds etc but not fixed deposits. Moneycontrol can track the value of physical gold too - you just have to enter the approximate weight of gold biskoot you own

Do you play the stock market-moneycontrol.jpg

Enter a rough estimate of current value of properties you own, and you get the networth picture.

Last edited by SmartCat : 9th June 2020 at 15:59.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 16:17   #4317
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Enter a rough estimate of current value of properties you own, and you get the networth picture.
Between valueresearch and moneycontrol, which one do you think has better analytics? I had started tracking my investments using valueresearch a few months back. Still many features are being shown as "coming soon in pro version". I would like to see how the investments have performed on a "per year" basis and also in relation to inflation.
Old 9th June 2020, 16:24   #4318
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Between valueresearch and moneycontrol, which one do you think has better analytics? I had started tracking my investments using valueresearch a few months back. Still many features are being shown as "coming soon in pro version". I would like to see how the investments have performed on a "per year" basis and also in relation to inflation.
For mutual fund analytics, valueresearchonline.com is leagues ahead of moneycontrol.com. You could look at www.morningstar.in too - but I found its interface clunky.

For stock portfolio analytics, www.marketsmojo.com is the best option.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 16:34   #4319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For mutual fund analytics, valueresearchonline.com is leagues ahead of moneycontrol.com. You could look at www.morningstar.in too - but I found its interface clunky.

For stock portfolio analytics, www.marketsmojo.com is the best option.
Thanks a lot. I will continue with valueresearch then
Old 9th June 2020, 17:22   #4320
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja;4820361.
I would like to see how the investments have performed on a "per year" basis and also in relation to inflation.
Valueresearchonline gives both. Check the dashboard for inflation adjusted returns and performance section for annual returns.
m8002? is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed