Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2020, 17:52   #4321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
I took a chance by buying it today
I have been following the stock market since 2003 and this year in February finally took the plunge and started trading on Zerodha. The second stock I bought was Vodafone at 3.2 and it shot up 40% the next day.

Many colleagues and friends have been advising me against investing in this stock but after doing tons of reading and following the happenings on a daily basis my belief in this stock has just grown and have been accumulating shares at different price points.

It has now crossed the face value of 10 and despite the huge sell off today due to people booking profits it still managed to stay above this figure.

Over the years I have understood that all the experts in this field can never commit anything in writing and one should invest in stocks in which he/she believes in and not just because someone asked them to buy it. Ultimately this is also one form of gambling and I have invested a small part of my savings with the mindset that even if my entire investment goes belly up it should not affect me mentally.
SnS_12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 18:32   #4322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
I have been following the stock market since 2003 and this year in February finally took the plunge and started trading on Zerodha. The second stock I bought was Vodafone at 3.2 and it shot up 40% the next day.

Many colleagues and friends have been advising me against investing in this stock but after doing tons of reading and following the happenings on a daily basis my belief in this stock has just grown and have been accumulating shares at different price points.

It has now crossed the face value of 10 and despite the huge sell off today due to people booking profits it still managed to stay above this figure.
Even Radhakishan Damani had bought 3.70 crores (in quantity) shares of Voda Idea at the rate of 3.15 in a block deal on 31/3/2020 which is not far off from the price at which you invested.

SOURCE

Last edited by Sherlocked : 9th June 2020 at 18:34.
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 09:39   #4323
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Valueresearchonline gives both. Check the dashboard for inflation adjusted returns and performance section for annual returns.
Thank you for pointing this out. I had not scrolled down beyond the graph that compares the investment with other investment types like PPF, FD etc. After reading your post, explored this page and found lots of analysis based on investment type, fund house etc., and also returns and inflation adjusted returns of each category for various periods. This is more than enough
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 10:08   #4324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Idea is already down by 20% today morning. And it looks like only selling pressure is there, so could expect more downfall?

Looks like the whole 'Google is interested' saga has trapped quite a few investors in the last two days.
It was down because of the F&O ban and mostly because of profit booking.

On the google news the important thing to note is that Vodafone Idea did not say that they have not received such an offer but only that the board is not considering any such offer currently.

Google is sitting on a cash pile and wanted to invest in Jio but wanted a larger share than what Facebook picked up but Mr Ambani did not allow the same and Facebook made an entry in Jio before Google.

However, Google is still interested in Jio and Mr Ambani has room for one more investor and is in talks with Google and Microsoft for the same and only one will be selected from the two.

The other big investor showing interest in Telecom space is Amazon. There were silent whispers that they were in talk with Vodafone before the news came that they wanted to invest $ 2 Billion in Airtel, which was denied by Airtel.

When the news of Google taking 5% stake in Vodafone broke out in the media the deal size would have been some 800 cr as per the Market Capital of Vodafone at that time, which has now grown to around 30k crore from then.

Not sure Mr Nick Read would sell a 5% stake at such a low valuation when there is strong business potential building up in the Telecom sector and when the revenue per user is estimated to double by 2025 as per some reports.

The government is clear that they don’t want Vodafone Idea to shut shops in India and all the media reports of owners claiming that they will have to wind the business down is just to get the government’s attention for a bailout or staggered AGR payments which the government has now proposed to Supreme Court and awaiting a judgment on it.

Vodafone Idea are no longer contesting the AGR dues and if they were planning to shut shop would not have made a payment of 6.8k cr towards the principal AGR payment as per their calculation.

Finally, as for the stock price it opened today in the red but bounced back immediately and is above 10 (face value).

Tomorrow would be a interesting day as a decision will be made on the Indus tower deal and the next big news would be when the Q4 numbers are declared. Fingers crossed 🤞 till then
SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 10:58   #4325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Tomorrow would be a interesting day as a decision will be made on the Indus tower deal and the next big news would be when the Q4 numbers are declared. Fingers crossed 🤞 till then
I was just going to mention this.

Traders/investors looking to dive into Voda-IDEA stock, please be cognizant of tomorrow's decision meeting on the deal with Indus Tower - Bharti Infratel. If the deal goes south, we might see sharp fall again.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 17:31   #4326
BHPian

Can anyone throw some light on the sudden rally in Nifty and Bank Nifty that started at 3 PM today. Was it purely a 'day before expiry' play by big players to shatter small retailers or something else?

I am kind of new in the market and such sudden move surely takes away the confidence of entering full time into this market.
Old 10th June 2020, 19:31   #4327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Can anyone throw some light on the sudden rally in Nifty and Bank Nifty that started at 3 PM today. Was it purely a 'day before expiry' play by big players to shatter small retailers or something else?

I am kind of new in the market and such sudden move surely takes away the confidence of entering full time into this market.
Can you define "entering full time" ? - if you are thinking of entering as an investor, these ups and downs should not bother you in the long run. If your plan is to invest think about long term and you will be in peace.

In case you are thinking of becoming a trader, then it will take months or even years till you feel confident about making trades in the market.

Also, the current volatility in market is not something that will help you build confidence. Fundamentals are not at play here but a lot of other things.

So, to summarize, it will take some time till you feel normal when these rallies happen. Once you see a few more rallies, gain and lose a bit of dough , you will start gaining confidence.
Old 10th June 2020, 19:56   #4328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Can you define "entering full time" ?
In case you are thinking of becoming a trader, then it will take months or even years till you feel confident about making trades in the market.
Yes sir, I am braving myself to enter full time as a trader. I understand that it will require a couple of years at least to understand the market and I am willing to give my time for that.

Quote:
Also, the current volatility in market is not something that will help you build confidence. Fundamentals are not at play here but a lot of other things.
Indeed. India VIX has risen to an all time high level since March beginning. Although it is cooling off now but still far away.

Quote:
So, to summarize, it will take some time till you feel normal when these rallies happen. Once you see a few more rallies, gain and lose a bit of dough , you will start gaining confidence.
I totally understand that I am prepared for that as well, but these kind of moves surely takes away the confidence.
By today's second half, a few traders that I interact with over different platforms had made their positions for tomorrow's expiry but suddenly this wild rally towards the end made them cut their position into losses.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 10th June 2020 at 20:02.
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 08:28   #4329
Senior - BHPian

Facing a peculiar situation here in Zerodha. I bought a certain script from BSE yesterday and even received confirmation emails and sms from the exchange. However, today, under my current holdings I see it classified under NSE.

Not sure what is happening here.

EDIT: Just got a confirmation from Zerodha that this is how it is. If someone buys shares from BSE it will show 'bought from NSE'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Yes sir, I am braving myself to enter full time as a trader.
I wish you all the best. It is very very exciting to be a full time trader. Keep at it.

Last edited by Pancham : 11th June 2020 at 08:46.
Old 11th June 2020, 08:46   #4330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Facing a peculiar situation here in Zerodha. I bought a certain script from BSE yesterday and even received confirmation emails and sms from the exchange. However, today, under my current holdings I see it classified under NSE.
Saw this complaint from some users in Moneycontrol (spam ) forum as well. IIRC - the issue was reported for Alok Industries.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 15:58   #4331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Can you let us know which God you pray to? What Puja needs to be performed to achieve such an outcome?

And the God's blessings going strong . Daily 5% rise for past one month. Reached 36 today.
RahuKetu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 16:06   #4332
BHPian

Hello all, I have been silently following this thread for some time now and considering the Job market for 53+ years olds in this pandemic situation, considering planning for the future.

Need inputs on Taxation angle, especially the Speculation income part. While I did read on the Income Tax site that ITR3 is the right form, that is worse than understanding and teaching my 15 year old 10th std. mathematics.

Secondly, what expenses can be set off against the trading income, Telecom, laptop, Electricity, Maids etc. for sure. What about vehicle depreciation, can that also be accommodated under Capital expenditure?

Looking forward to positive replies please
shivshanker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 16:19   #4333
BANNED

Quote:
Actually, we are having lots of similar stories:

Yes Bank
Vodafone Idea
Ruchi Soya

This goes against the conventional wisdom that you have to cut losses if you see a large stock crash.
Observing Ruchi Soya since March 2nd week but never had enough courage to add that stock into my portfolio.
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 16:28   #4334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Hello all, I have been silently following this thread for some time now and considering the Job market for 53+ years olds in this pandemic situation, considering planning for the future.
How exactly do you intend to trade/speculate on the stock market? Have you done some reading? Do you have a "trading plan"?

Quote:
Need inputs on Taxation angle, especially the Speculation income part. Secondly, what expenses can be set off against the trading income, Telecom, laptop, Electricity, Maids etc. for sure. What about vehicle depreciation, can that also be accommodated under Capital expenditure?
If you already have a regular job, I don't think you will be able to set off internet/phone/electricity and vehicle depreciation expenses against speculation income. Check with CAs on this thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...rates-etc.html (All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...))

Obviously, brokerage charges + NSE charges + STT can be set off against speculation income (F&O trading + day trading). If you are trading in the cash market only and holding stocks for more than one day, then you will just have to pay short term capital gains tax on the profits.

Last edited by SmartCat : 18th June 2020 at 16:32.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 17:08   #4335
BHPian

Quote:
How exactly do you intend to trade/speculate on the stock market? Have you done some reading? Do you have a "trading plan"?
@SmartCat, yes do have a trading plan, studying the market news, understanding Operator stocks through patterns and also using some freeware tools to predict the "V" pattern these days.

And thanks for the CA Thread link, well the investment account is in the name of my wife, so does not interfere with my Salary account or Form 16. Been maintaining the segregation since her salaried days for taxation reasons.

Last edited by shivshanker : 18th June 2020 at 17:09.
shivshanker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks