76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 11:35   #4516
Team-BHP Support

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
I shifted from 'investing' to 'trading' during the lockdown and it has been going quite well up until now. Since the past couple of months, I am finding it more and more difficult to identify new trades.
Unless you figure out how to make money from falling markets by shorting, what you did was not really "trading". You just went with the flow. Whatever everybody bought during that period went up.

Real trading involves using technical analysis to go long or short on stocks or index (futures/options). If technical analysis looks like voodoo magic, you could read up or watch youtube videos on options trading instead. With options trading, you need not "predict" the index or stock direction. It's all about probabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Sometime back there was an announcement of reduction in corporate tax, do these numbers include the bump up in earnings after IT due to the reduced tax outgo? Or we would see a further increase post March '21?
That announcement was in Sept'19. I guess we would have seen the effect on post-tax earnings in FY20. Not sure about this one.
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 14:29   #4517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Unless you figure out how to make money from falling markets by shorting, what you did was not really "trading". You just went with the flow. Whatever everybody bought during that period went up.

Real trading involves using technical analysis to go long or short on stocks or index (futures/options). If technical analysis looks like voodoo magic, you could read up or watch Youtube videos on options trading instead. With options trading, you need not "predict" the index or stock direction. It's all about probabilities.
Had a short intro into derivates over the weekend. Will be paper trading for the next month at least before venturing into this field.
Hats off to who ever thought of derivates as an instrument, its truly remarkable
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 11:40   #4518
BHPian

RBI governor raised some concerns on the market. Quoting from the article

"Raising concerns over a disconnect between the financial markets and the real economy, RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das on Monday said that stretched valuations of financial assets pose risks to financial stability."

Link

What is the message for us here? Is there a market doomsday scenario ahead?
Old 14th January 2021, 11:51   #4519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Is there a market doomsday scenario ahead?
The governor seems to be thinking so.
I was watching Scam 1992 last month. Had an eerie similarity with current times. The RBI governor then had made a comment on the ir-rationality in the market during a press-conference. It all came crashing down few months down the line.
Not sure whether RBI had actually done this in real or was it more of a reel thing. But I do think the central bank is worried about small investors. Just saying!

Last edited by warrioraks : 14th January 2021 at 11:53.
Old 14th January 2021, 11:54   #4520
Team-BHP Support

Well, if RBI/Fed wants rationality in the stock market, all they have to do is crank up the interest rates. If SBI/ICICI Bank gives 5% interest on FD, money will flee from banks into stock market. Even retired folks will pull out money from FDs to invest in the stock market (since prices seem to be going up all the time).

Last edited by SmartCat : 14th January 2021 at 11:59.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 12:04   #4521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Well, if RBI/Fed wants rationality in the stock market, all they have to do is crank up the interest rates.
Though it seems logical from investors point of view, I do not think bank interest rates are going up soon. Bank are flush with money and they are finding it difficult to offload it to credit worthy loan takers.

If banks cannot earn 9-10% interests on their loans they can hardly increase the FD rates.
fordday is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 20:23   #4522
BHPian

https://www.bloombergquint.com/law-a...-in-securities

A very disturbing and disappointing news. Whom and what to trust. I don't know the person involved and has never followed him. However, CNBC is taken as a serious and reputed channel.
Sree is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 21:55   #4523
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree View Post
A very disturbing and disappointing news. Whom and what to trust. I don't know the person involved and has never followed him. However, CNBC is taken as a serious and reputed channel.
Is this the channel which runs very "accurate" "technical" recommendations by two gentlemen? I have noticed that the scrips move in the opposite direction of the recommendation.

I registered on their portal and app twice, and found that (a) a user name / login is not created, and - (b) there is a surge in spam messages.
Old 15th January 2021, 10:22   #4524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am quite surprised who blew the whistle.
Though it is quite obvious that any recommendation on news channel has potential to move markets and prices, and it is well known that many people do utilize it to time their trades and make money, this is the first time I am reading about actual investigations done and some one caught.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th January 2021 at 11:26. Reason: typo
Old 15th January 2021, 11:19   #4525
BHPian

Quote:

"News is what somebody somewhere wants to suppress; all the rest is advertising"
-Lord Northcliffe

CNBC is part of Media 18 network which is owned by the richest and most powerfull person of the country.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 15th January 2021 at 11:20.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 13:09   #4526
BHPian

Quote:

Thats on the expected lines. Never trust these new channels and the so called experts.
Old 15th January 2021, 17:29   #4527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Though it seems logical from investors point of view, I do not think bank interest rates are going up soon. Bank are flush with money and they are finding it difficult to offload it to credit worthy loan takers.

If banks cannot earn 9-10% interests on their loans they can hardly increase the FD rates.
Inflation may also be on the rise. Fuel prices are back to the 80s and 90s (in value terms). So there may be a case to increase interest rates in future.

https://www.livemint.com/market/mark...509596914.html

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 15th January 2021 at 17:30.
Old 20th January 2021, 09:02   #4528
BANNED

Is it possible to apply for rights issue online?

Does anybody here use the NSDL app? I'm unable to use the forgot password option since the Otp is not coming. I tried a web search, and it seems the mobile number is not linked to the ID properly. But I get all trading / holding related SMS and CAS emails accurately and the CAS shows my mobile correctly.
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:16   #4529
BHPian

What is the view on Tata Motors? I hold 1500 shares at an average price of 131 INR. Shall I exit or hold?
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:19   #4530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahuKetu View Post
What is the view on Tata Motors? I hold 1500 shares at an average price of 131 INR. Shall I exit or hold?
Looking at their commitment towards EV future, with Altroz EV in pipeline, I'd say hold on.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks