51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2008, 14:33   #541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I wonder whats wrong with SUZLON and BHARTI Airtel! Those were my long term bets.
I guess, they ran out of steam too ;-)

\N

Last edited by ntomer : 29th February 2008 at 14:36.
Old 29th February 2008, 16:39   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
banks screwed...ndtv panelists seem to suggest that banks gonna take the hit on farmers loan waiver.

all stocks hit due to st cap gains raise to 15%
Bank of India has risen today to 359. I bought it few days ago for 330.
Should i sell?
Old 29th February 2008, 17:00   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
banks screwed...ndtv panelists seem to suggest that banks gonna take the hit on farmers loan waiver.

all stocks hit due to st cap gains raise to 15%
not really.That was the money which banks were not getting back anyway and it was like NPA for them.Now probably banks may be compensated in some way by govt and that money may come "handy" for them.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 29th February 2008 at 17:02.
Old 29th February 2008, 17:06   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Should i sell?
1.If u have invested for short term then its not a bad time to sell.Book your profit and exit now.
2.If u wanna wait little longer,then put a StopLoss of around 350 and keep on revising if stock rises thereafter.
3.But if it was me,i would keep it for atleast 3-4yrs,not just this one but all of banking sector shares.

Quote:
I wonder whats wrong with SUZLON and BHARTI Airtel! Those were my long term bets.
These will bounce back.It pay in longer term if you invested in STOCKS OF GOOD COMPANIES.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 29th February 2008 at 17:08.
Old 29th February 2008, 17:08   #545
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
not really.That was the money which banks were not getting back anyway and it was like NPA for them.Now probably banks may be compensated in some way by govt and that money may come "handy" for them.
Yes that seems to be the theory. Thats why banking stocks finally ended up higher.

but lets wait for a day or 2 to let ppl go over the details/fine print.
Old 29th February 2008, 17:12   #546
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Should i sell?
i am not sure about the average price of BOI....but if its close to its weekly high, i would book my profits now as banking stocks are on a high...
Old 29th February 2008, 17:51   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I don't know about Suzlon, but telecom sector is not considered a 'good buy' in short term.

But you need not worry about either of these stocks if, as you said, you are a long term player.
Old 29th February 2008, 17:59   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Should i sell?
I would not sell BOI. Remember, banking stocks - which were down after the news of 60k crore waiver came - rose sharply during the last hour of trade.

As Deepak Parekh mentioned, this waiver will wipe the NPAs off the balance sheet and make their valuations look even better.

With interest rates softening, I would stay invested in banking stocks. (I already own few of them, including BoI)

On BoI, it has come out with exceptionally good results for the 3rd quarter. Unfortunately the current market weakness has seen it slip in the last few weeks.

You have purchased BoI at really good price of 330. So I would advise you to stay invested in BoI.

I expect bank stocks to rally even more on Monday.
Old 29th February 2008, 19:00   #549
Team-BHP Support

By long term I mean 6-8 months timeframe, lets see where do these two stalwarts land me then.

Anways right now I am waiting for Tata power to reach the 1200 whereabouts level.
Old 29th February 2008, 22:28   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
I don't know about Suzlon, but telecom sector is not considered a 'good buy' in short term.

But you need not worry about either of these stocks if, as you said, you are a long term player.

I agree that telecom sector is not considered good as new players will be coming soon and this will have some effect on earnings of established players.But Bharti may be exception here...they will be entering retail business soon and may enter some other fields as well.
Old 2nd March 2008, 11:52   #551
Senior - BHPian

For the year 2008, i am reviewing my Mutual funds portfolio, and as a part of financial planning i have to decide on -
1 Large cap/bluechip dominated(non aggressive fund) - Equity Diversified
1 Small cap/mid cap dominated (aggressive fund) - ELSS

It can be also the other way around, ie ELSS be non aggressive and Equity diversified be aggressive.

Based on my research, i have shortlisted the following for ELSS - Principal Personal Tax saver which is a small cap dominated (?) fund but is highly volatile.
For equity diversified, my choice is Franklin India Prima Plus - A large cap dominated fund with moderate returns but less risky.

Please comment on my portfolio, and suggest some fine tuning if required.
Old 2nd March 2008, 14:24   #552
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
I expect bank stocks to rally even more on Monday.
Be watchfull on monday.

News yesterday was that banks will be restored this liquidity in 3 years...but, most of these were already written off loans. So not sure, what market is gonna do on monday.

Question is, how many loans will now become bad or NPA to take advantage of this offer?
Old 2nd March 2008, 17:20   #553
BHPian

Monday is gona be bad day for market for Sure!
Everything is ready for it including the slip of Dow Jones on friday. So be ready for 5000 at Nifty on monday!
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:10   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Based on my research, i have shortlisted the following for ELSS - Principal Personal Tax saver which is a small cap dominated (?) fund but is highly volatile.
I am also following this MF very closely and it seems to be best performing until now.But i dont think that this is small cap dominated.It has invested in JM,Reliance,Sterlite,SAIL,RCom,Bharti Airtel,grasim etc.

I am looking forward to buy few MFs and it will be one including DSL ML taxsaver and one like Birla taxsaver96.
Old 3rd March 2008, 12:10   #555
LLL
BHPian

Need advice from experts on taxes related to share trading...

1. Should the gains/loss be treated as business income or capital gains income? what are the pros and cons?

2. Are there any deductions allowed on capital gains? Can STT/brokerage be dedcuted from profits?

Most Viewed