51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2008, 20:22   #601
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
It is those make profits in a falling market (no, not by being a bear or making short sales) who are the real investors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Rumors of an up coming Black Monday were in the offing in the market today. Be cautious.
Black Mondays are often followed by Ruby Tuesdays! :-)
Old 7th March 2008, 21:38   #602
BANNED

@navin, what is a "Ruby Tuesday"? Google throws up some info about a restaurant chain; I am sure you did not mean that, because most "investors" would lose their appetite (for food and investments) after a black Monday.

BTW, it just stuck me - it is easy to spot a bull market, analysts will be bandying around stocks with 30-50 P/E ratios as "undervalued". you know that it is a bear market when the same stocks are labeled as "over rvalued" even when the P/E ratio is 10-15. I am really wondering why I did not land up a job as a market analyst.
Old 7th March 2008, 23:15   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@navin, what is a "Ruby Tuesday"? Google throws up some info about a restaurant chain; I am sure you did not mean that, because most "investors" would lose their appetite (for food and investments) after a black Monday.

BTW, it just stuck me - it is easy to spot a bull market, analysts will be bandying around stocks with 30-50 P/E ratios as "undervalued". you know that it is a bear market when the same stocks are labeled as "over rvalued" even when the P/E ratio is 10-15. I am really wondering why I did not land up a job as a market analyst.
Good One!!

True, you will find lot of recommendations from analysts during bull market. When the market starts getting into bear mode, the same stocks become expensive.

Moral of the story: We cannot trust these analysts. We have to do our own research and stay long term.

I think Mutual fund SIP is the way to go in this fluctuating and uncertain times. I am still making around 30% profit in my mutual fund investments.
Old 8th March 2008, 00:08   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Black Mondays are often followed by Ruby Tuesdays! :-)
Oh I wish that happened to me Navin
Old 8th March 2008, 01:53   #605
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Is it possible ICICI to reach 800 or even lower ?
i wouldnt touch icici now as i have burned badly. i was tracking icici for sometime and thought icici's base was 1050 or so, so brought at that price. dont know whats happening to it or where its headed...
Old 8th March 2008, 11:50   #606
Senior - BHPian

With 250 Million Dollar Mark to Market, ICICI might be doomed for a long time.
Old 8th March 2008, 12:33   #607
Senior - BHPian

Today I got allotment of 60 shares of REC. I had applied for 240. And also the balance money got credited to my account directly. Never mind about the market nowadays, this is a long term investment for me. Has anobody applied and got the shares?
Old 8th March 2008, 12:51   #608
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
From ICICI's statement, the problem seems to be more on credit derivative, rather than subprime. I am unable to understand why Indian media terming it as subprime, rather than something like credit crunch. Or is my understanding wrong??
"It ain't cow dung; it is bovine excreta" is what ICICI is saying.

"Subprime crisis" is the problem caused by credit derivatives in the market, which have US home loans as the underlying credit instrument. What I fail to understand is why ICICI had to go to the US to invest.
Old 8th March 2008, 14:14   #609
Senior - BHPian

In other words, these credit derivatives are derived from "Subprime" loans.
Old 17th March 2008, 12:24   #610
adc
Senior - BHPian

Sos

Anybody in the know about BGR Energy, 900 buy. Would be really thankful for some advice.

Enough of stock markets for me, it is better to travel and have the experience than lose money like this. My journeys to Bhutan/Arunachal later this year are in real jeopardy.
Old 17th March 2008, 13:28   #611
BHPian

Quote:
"It ain't cow dung; it is bovine excreta" is what ICICI is saying.

"Subprime crisis" is the problem caused by credit derivatives in the market, which have US home loans as the underlying credit instrument. What I fail to understand is why ICICI had to go to the US to invest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
In other words, these credit derivatives are derived from "Subprime" loans.

To an extent, it is difficult to differentiate clearly. I would think it is more like this:
Currently, the problem is credit derivatives and the leveraging therein.
Subprime is just the trigger.

But yeah, maybe it is pointless, now, to get into the details here. More like a post-mortem.

Anybody into Gold?
Old 17th March 2008, 13:59   #612
rkg
Senior - BHPian

sensex to touch 11 K as per news report in today ET
Old 17th March 2008, 15:13   #613
BHPian

Is this bust cyclic or is it something else? Is there "A" piece of news i forgot to read? At one hand we hear day-in-day-out that India is economic superpower in the near future. Not a very comforting sight to see since the last 2 months or so.

rev
Old 17th March 2008, 15:14   #614
BHPian

I am not an expert in economics, so please help me understand this Bear Stearns saga. How can a govt like US which is supposed to be so advanced not even know about this? We have quite a decent process in place where RBI just raises flags when NPAs of banks reaches certain levels. How can it reach Bankruptcy levels in country like US? Dont they have a regulator? Dont they know when to stop lending? Just imagine the plight of investors. Stock has come down from $160 to $2...99% wipe out in just few months.. Its pulling all markets down and wiping out my wealth too That is so cruel.
Old 17th March 2008, 15:26   #615
BHPian

Advice

Seek some advice on the top investors here.

Looking at the way the market is going.
Say this year till date had I made 1L in profits from trading. Do you think its a good thing to hold on to your current stocks (In deep Red) and pay 10% cap gains tax for the 1L, and wait for the market to pick up.
Or
better to sell off at loss and book losses to the extent of 1L , thereby saving on paying the cap gains tax , and re-enter the market ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks