76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2008, 16:57   #811
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I have been offered rights for a stock I have at a rate which is higher than the current market price! Whats the idea of this? It wont get subscribed to at all, or am I wrong?
2 Ideas
1) the rights were offered when the share price in market was more. check the price on that date.
2) the rights might be useful if the price on the date the right shares get listed is more [expected to be more] than the price at which they have been offered.

If the rights have any value in the market, between today and the day the offer lapses - sell the rights then and there.
Old 24th October 2008, 18:03   #812
BHPian

Originally Posted by tsk1979
I guarantee that the sensex will not fall by a single point on tuesday. I am willing to bet on that
--------------------------------
tsk1979, I can bet...sensex will fall on tuesday too...
muhurat trading happens for 1 hour from 6:30PM to 7:30PM..
Wanna bet?
Old 24th October 2008, 18:06   #813
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu_calvin View Post
tsk1979, I can bet...sensex will fall on tuesday too...
muhurat trading happens for 1 hour from 6:30PM to 7:30PM..
Wanna bet?

If previous 3-4 years are anything to go by, the annual trend is usually opposite to the trend on muhurat trading day.
Old 24th October 2008, 18:10   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
2) the rights might be useful if the price on the date the right shares get listed is more [expected to be more] than the price at which they have been offered.

If the rights have any value in the market, between today and the day the offer lapses - sell the rights then and there.
I'm sorry I did not understand perfectly well. The scrip is Tayo Rolls. Rights offer is Rs. 126. Currently the stock is trading for Rs. 90. What do I do?

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldnt right now be a good time to stock up on some blue chips? Performers that if not anything else have good divdend payouts?

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 24th October 2008 at 18:13.
Old 24th October 2008, 19:06   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry I did not understand perfectly well. The scrip is Tayo Rolls. Rights offer is Rs. 126. Currently the stock is trading for Rs. 90. What do I do?

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldnt right now be a good time to stock up on some blue chips? Performers that if not anything else have good divdend payouts?
Buy the blue chips only if you have a 2-3 year long term view. For short term not feasible yet. On my part am still not sure as this also doesnt seems the bottom. 9000 breach means next is 6000
Old 24th October 2008, 19:50   #816
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't do anything. You can't do anything! At this time the company's management would itself be puzzled!

The rights are worthless.

All I was trying to say was, the rights might be worthless now, but in case the share price bounces back [and is expected to stay up there] before the right issue closes, the rights will have some value. At that point of time instead of subscribing to more shares, sell the rights. [practically it's highly unlikely before 19th November when the issue closes]

How do you sell the rights separately? - there's something called splitting the right from the share, using a split form. [read your offer document]

"Disclaimer - I do not have practical experience in dealing with splitting rights, theoretical YES"

Quote:
Bluechips are high priced shares with high PE ratio, therefore dividend payouts are not very material compared to the price you pay to buy them even at the best looking prices.

For just holding blue chips for long term gains, let the market find it's bottom first. That said there might be more scope if you wait, than buying now. [Bear]

Last edited by SLK : 24th October 2008 at 19:54.
Old 24th October 2008, 19:59   #817
BHPian

I have been switching my portfolio.

Those stocks which I feel risky, ie
Companies having significant foreign exposure.
Companies requiring huge working capital.
Companies in commodities business.
All small cap stocks.
All expensive PE stocks.
All momentum/punters' favorite stock.

I have sold them all in the last 3-4 months.

Accordingly, I had sold JP Associates, Suzlon, L & T, United Spirits, Reliance capital, Karuturi Global, Aban offshore, I-Flex, Welspun Stahl, Cairn, Sesa Goa, TV-18, Etc (some sold with significant losses some with good profit)

Now, I am concentrating on few stocks which have strong domestic business and coming with good results.

I have slowly started accumulating following stocks:

Educomp (started accumulating below 1900), Axis Bank, Bank of India, L&T, Tulip Telecom, Titan, and Bartronics.

Also, I am "swinging" with some punter stocks like JP associates, punj lloyd etc. Buying on panic days and sell once they come into my demat a/c. Then, playing some intraday with little profit/loss.

Since I am full time into stocks, I have to do lot of circus and surviving this terrible time is my only goal.
cheers:

Last edited by BomBatt : 24th October 2008 at 20:01.
Old 24th October 2008, 20:15   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
LOL.. Anybody wants my L&T shares? . I got a small amount worth Rs 20k some time back. Now its worth all of Rs 4k - a loss of value of over 80% !!

But all said and done, its a solid company with solid results. I may buy some more now.
Hi Spadival
I don't think you are aware that L&T had declared a 1:1 bonus and the price you see now is ex-bonus. L&T's 52-wk high was 4690 and the current ex-bonus price is Rs 768. So actually it's Rs 1536, if you take the bonus into account.
You can always give L&Ts to me if they are free.
Old 25th October 2008, 08:20   #819
BHPian

Sensex 8700. :(

Hurts. Suzlon 47 Rs. I dont want to see my portfolio valuation....
Old 25th October 2008, 23:53   #820
BHPian

b&T
imagine my state i suscribed to the tata motors rights issue at 340 and 305
its what 180 now?

lets see if it gets suscribed to or not
Old 26th October 2008, 06:46   #821
Senior - BHPian

I do not want to look at my portfolio. I am doing quite fine with mutual funds, but almost 70% capital erosion with respect to stocks. I have decided not to sell them for a couple of years.
Old 26th October 2008, 10:20   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I am doing quite fine with mutual funds
Maybe, you need to relook at the latest NAVs.
Old 26th October 2008, 10:29   #823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I do not want to look at my portfolio. I am doing quite fine with mutual funds, but almost 70% capital erosion with respect to stocks. I have decided not to sell them for a couple of years.
+ 1 here. Nowadays, I have stopped looking at stocks. Just keeping myself invested. Dunno till what time. At least I should earn a decent 25% profit then only I will abe to sell of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Maybe, you need to relook at the latest NAVs.
The NAVs has also come down. I have Sundaram BNP Paribas, LIC-Equity based, Birla Sun life, ICICI Pru - Infrastructure fund...All are trading below the NAVs what I ahve purchased at...but I have bought SBI Magnum growth with a lock in period of 3 years.

Old 26th October 2008, 10:41   #824
Senior - BHPian

This is the time to buy in small quantity (20% of your cash each day) between 27th october to 1st week of November. Expect huge bounce back by November end. Then again there will be bumpy ride!

Nifty can reach upto 3300 levels by November end If it holds up 2000 level as bottom by october end.

My pick would be LT, Reliance, Zee News and lot of stocks corrected too much. But remember india is still costlier compared to gloabl market. So anything can happen.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 27th October 2008, 15:06   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
This is the time to buy in small quantity (20% of your cash each day) between 27th october to 1st week of November. Expect huge bounce back by November end. Then again there will be bumpy ride!

Nifty can reach upto 3300 levels by November end If it holds up 2000 level as bottom by october end.

My pick would be LT, Reliance, Zee News and lot of stocks corrected too much. But remember india is still costlier compared to gloabl market. So anything can happen.

Regards,

Ravi.
You are talking typically like the CNBC analyst. Opening in one direction and then issuing a caveat in the opposite direction. It's like telling a pregnant woman before delivery - you will have a boy but you may also have a girl.
What is the basis of all that you say? L&T alone has fallen about 8 per cent since you spoke. Do you know the book value to price ratio of L&T?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks