0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 396 32.25%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 19:17   #1066
BANNED

I recently opened a demat account in HDFC because my salary a/c is there.
I am trying to get to know how to use their site but don't get many of the specific words like holdings & release, demat a/c, Adding to a portfolio, converting to a delivery , etc.
I went through their demo but it just shows the procedure and doesn't say what each of those options means

Please can someone throw some light on these things
Old 16th March 2009, 08:29   #1067
BANNED

Guys some help, please!
Old 16th March 2009, 08:34   #1068
ECM
BHPian

Call your RM(relation manager)and tell him to help you to understand their software/web site,this is perhaps the best way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Guys some help, please!
Old 16th March 2009, 11:39   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I recently opened a demat account in HDFC because my salary a/c is there.
I am trying to get to know how to use their site but don't get many of the specific words like holdings & release, demat a/c, Adding to a portfolio, converting to a delivery , etc.
I went through their demo but it just shows the procedure and doesn't say what each of those options means

Please can someone throw some light on these things
Wow Zaks you are asking for a thesis!

Here are a few simple pointers.

Start with the "Get Quote" button on the right of the page. A new page (pop-up or tab) will open. Type in the first word of the name of the company you are interested in and click "get symbol". Click on the right symbol - in case of Futures and Options segment - you will get symbol, strike price & option type.

This symbol is auto filled in on the get quote page. Click in "view". You will get the last traded price, best bids and best offers. At the bottom of this page there will be "Buy" & "Sell" buttons. Click the appropriate one.

The original page will have changed to the place order page. Go there. Key in your quantity and price. Click "Ok" recheck the details and click "confirm".

that is the most simple operation.

The terms you asked about are all used in context.

Click on the holdings and release to check your balance of shares in the Demat account. Hold is placed on them when you want to sell some of them. Release is when you have placed a hold in order to sell, but you cancel the order and no longer need the hold. (The holds are released automatically at the end of the trading day in case an order is cancelled or does not go through.

When you buy shares or other securities they are in the electronic form - something like Rupees / Dollars in the bank. Your de-mat account is your "savings bank account" for the shares that you own. Shares you buy are credited (thrown in) to this account and shares you sell are debited (removed) from this account. With HDFCsec this is done automatically after the sale/purchase.

Convert to delivery: One can buy or sell shares on the basis of a "margin" given to HDFCsec e.g. if the share is quoting at Rs.100/- HDFCsec may allow you to buy it by depositing Rs.10/-. All sales / purchases in the Margin Trading account have to be settled at the end of the day (I think it is 2.30 p.m.). In case the price has not moved in the direction that you expected it to move and you are in a loss, you have the option of converting it into a delivery transaction by paying the balance Rs.90/-. If you convert it into a delivery transaction you can hold on to the shares and sell after the price rises, if you do not convert it into delivery, the system will sell the shares automatically at the prevailing rate.

"portfolio" page is merely an added convenience. Here you can keep track of all the shares etc. you have bought or sold. Set up your portfolio(es) i.e. give it a name etc.

When you purchase shares, go the trade book, tick the box next to the shares you bought and click "add to portfolio". The shares will be added to your portfolio and you can track the number of shares you own, the price at which you bought and the current price by clicking "my portfolio" button in trading account page. Similarly when you sell some shares you can deduct them from your protfolio by "clicking the "add to my portfolio" button in the trade book. It is the transaction that is being added to your portfolio not the number of shares, so you will know at a glance the state of your investments - profits losses etc.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
Old 16th March 2009, 13:59   #1070
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Wow Zaks you are asking for a thesis!

Click on the holdings and release to check your balance of shares in the Demat account. Hold is placed on them when you want to sell some of them. Release is when you have placed a hold in order to sell, but you cancel the order and no longer need the hold. (The holds are released automatically at the end of the trading day in case an order is cancelled or does not go through.

When you buy shares or other securities they are in the electronic form - something like Rupees / Dollars in the bank. Your de-mat account is your "savings bank account" for the shares that you own. Shares you buy are credited (thrown in) to this account and shares you sell are debited (removed) from this account. With HDFCsec this is done automatically after the sale/purchase.

Convert to delivery: One can buy or sell shares on the basis of a "margin" given to HDFCsec e.g. if the share is quoting at Rs.100/- HDFCsec may allow you to buy it by depositing Rs.10/-. All sales / purchases in the Margin Trading account have to be settled at the end of the day (I think it is 2.30 p.m.). In case the price has not moved in the direction that you expected it to move and you are in a loss, you have the option of converting it into a delivery transaction by paying the balance Rs.90/-. If you convert it into a delivery transaction you can hold on to the shares and sell after the price rises, if you do not convert it into delivery, the system will sell the shares automatically at the prevailing rate.

"portfolio" page is merely an added convenience. Here you can keep track of all the shares etc. you have bought or sold. Set up your portfolio(es) i.e. give it a name etc.

When you purchase shares, go the trade book, tick the box next to the shares you bought and click "add to portfolio". The shares will be added to your portfolio and you can track the number of shares you own, the price at which you bought and the current price by clicking "my portfolio" button in trading account page. Similarly when you sell some shares you can deduct them from your protfolio by "clicking the "add to my portfolio" button in the trade book. It is the transaction that is being added to your portfolio not the number of shares, so you will know at a glance the state of your investments - profits losses etc.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
This paragraph helped. I know a little bit about shares and demat but a newbie in the context of hdfcsec or any portal for that matter.

So when I buy or sell shares I dont need to do anything other than buy or sell, right?
I was trying it out and did an actual transaction on friday for practice, bought a 100 shares and it was showing in the tradebook as traded but in my bank accout it was still showing the amout as holding, which I thought should have been deducted as I thought the transaction was completed.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:01   #1071
Senior - BHPian

T+2!

Quote:
This paragraph helped. I know a little bit about shares and demat but a newbie in the context of hdfcsec or any portal for that matter.

So when I buy or sell shares I dont need to do anything other than buy or sell, right?
I was trying it out and did an actual transaction on friday for practice, bought a 100 shares and it was showing in the tradebook as traded but in my bank accout it was still showing the amout as holding, which I thought should have been deducted as I thought the transaction was completed.
Sometimes the money is deducted on the same day, this is considered incorrect as the pay-in/pay-out (settlement) day is T+2 i.e. 2 trading days after the day on which the trade is entered into. In your case the settlement day is Tuesday so the money will be deducted from your account on Tuesday, the hold however will remain in place till the money is actually deducted.

Cheers,
Old 16th March 2009, 15:41   #1072
ECM
BHPian

I am damn sure about most of members failing to take full advantage of my last call on market,never the less here is an update!All I gave was absolutely "FREE of cost"!Thank God I did not get blow on my mouth like last time-lol.
Nifty ended up by 2.19% i.e 57 points,sensex surged to almost 200 points i.e 2.22%!
Old 16th March 2009, 18:52   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ECM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
I am damn sure about most of members failing to take full advantage of my last call on market,never the less here is an update!All I gave was absolutely "FREE of cost"!Thank God I did not get blow on my mouth like last time-lol.
Nifty ended up by 2.19% i.e 57 points,sensex surged to almost 200 points i.e 2.22%!
Your post about the recovery being "around the corner" confirmed my gut feeling. I stopped buying put options in January. I started picking up select scrips every time they led the fall. HLL, HDFC, Siemens etc. I do not think there is much downside left to the market. Of course, we will test the sub-8000 levels a few times but people who are hoping (and waiting) for an extended stay south of 7000 seem to be too optimistic.

My actions on Satyam have been quite the opposite of your view on the subject. I have been moving in and out of Satyam from the time it was at 18. It has been consistently yielding good returns t'hanks to the volatility. It is however more of a traders' scrip rather than an investor's scrip.

Thanks again, once your post came up, I took your advise and built up some positions which have given good results on Friday and Today. BTW, I had PMed you, hope you get back in your own time but soon. Just another note I love your ECMisms - falling knife etc. they are absolutely cool and pithy!

Cheers,
Old 16th March 2009, 19:10   #1074
ECM
BHPian

Ravindraji
Bunch of pms I got and then I realised my mistake of telling to pm me haha.Each time I open forum pop up comes and I delete it to save inbox space,call is on and nice to see that atleast someone benifited out of it,I thought to share my work but that I cannot to huge queue so decided to carry forward with my posts.
Enjoy.
Old 16th March 2009, 22:24   #1075
ECM
BHPian

First time I am giving one free tip based on fundas.
I see good upside in these two stocks coz both of them has something comming in next couple of months.
BEL
and
Navneet Publication.
Mind you BEL makes EVMs for elections and around or after summer vacation Navneet's sell will go up,good player always buy before news,ordinary ones follows the crowd.
Disc:-I have 0 positions in above but started to studing them during last Sunday.No pms please thank you.
Cya.
Old 16th March 2009, 23:49   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
First time I am giving one free tip based on fundas.
I see good upside in these two stocks coz both of them has something comming in next couple of months.
BEL
and
Navneet Publication.
Mind you BEL makes EVMs for elections and around or after summer vacation Navneet's sell will go up,good player always buy before news,ordinary ones follows the crowd.
Disc:-I have 0 positions in above but started to studing them during last Sunday.No pms please thank you.
Cya.
i bought a small quantity of navneet publication in the recent fall hope it does well .otherwise the company is a trusted name in the field of books and stationary
Old 17th March 2009, 08:23   #1077
ECM
BHPian

Why I started to studing it bcoz it has almost 0 exposure to recession.
DYOD(do your own diligence)on both stocks I mentioned before buying them I have only studied some favourable factors and posted here.
Old 17th March 2009, 10:06   #1078
ECM
BHPian

Small update
Dont think of shorting,in event like this market may catch and hurt you if you swim against tide,if one is not sure what to do don't trade,after all one is not suppose to trade for his broker.
Old 17th March 2009, 11:20   #1079
BANNED

what does SES, DAY and IOC mean when buying stocks in HDFCsec?
Old 17th March 2009, 12:03   #1080
ECM
BHPian

Shorts are being rolled now.
Quote:
Small update
Dont think of shorting.
HDFC Securities > Customer Care best way to solve your doubts.
Quote:
what does SES, DAY and IOC mean when buying stocks in HDFCsec?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks