51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 20:21   #1366
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Its a gamblers paradise. Some people are good at it, have honed their 'skill' over time. Some have burnt their fingers, hands and legs etc and some have died of 3rd degree burns too.
This applies to the traders, especially intra day traders, and not to the investors, especially long term investors.

Old 7th January 2010, 22:23   #1367
BHPian

@ jaysmokesleaves, I fully echo your sentiments on stock markets. And you know I really feel like a fish out of water when the stock markets are not highly volatile.

Please do suggest some more stocks currently trading below Rs.5 and not likely go down any further than where they are now.

When I say this, I remember during one of the casual on-line chats eight months or so ago, I suggested to a dude to buy Chemplast Sanmar which was doing Rs.3 to Rs. 3.50 then. I told him that he had all to gain and nothing to lose and he did buy it in bulk, as he always does.

I have now lost contact with him on the chat and he must be a lot happier now. Chemplast Sanmar went on to touch Rs.15 sometime ago and currently dancing around Rs.10. I am happy I really gave him some sound advice that has worked.
Old 8th January 2010, 17:30   #1368
BHPian

Can anyone give me a target on Aban Offshore. It corrected a bit due to profit taking at end of day today after the 2 day dream run. Is it going to go up any further or is it going to come down from here? If anyone has any updates please share.

@ jaysmokesleaves : Very well said. I definitely subscribe to your line of thinking myself. Very true.

Last edited by sabret00the : 8th January 2010 at 17:31.
Old 9th January 2010, 16:29   #1369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Pl. let us know your thoughts on dish TV, fame india and and royal orchid.
The above shares arent on my list. But I did buy Dish tv by mistake at 30. something and sold it at 41. Personally i dont see Dish going anywhere any time soon. Its a slow mover. Moves once or twice a year at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
@ jaysmokesleaves, I fully echo your sentiments on stock markets. And you know I really feel like a fish out of water when the stock markets are not highly volatile.

Please do suggest some more stocks currently trading below Rs.5 and not likely go down any further than where they are now.
Mr.Lal..!! You sound like a professional gambler. Good luck to you in these volatile waters which im sure you must be enjoying nowadays. I however dont qualify as either a trader or investor. I make hay when I see sunshine and I have the time.
My scrip range is usually 50+ to 3000 range. I dont usually look at penny stocks. This one came up on my fishfinder somehow, just like dish tv did some time ago.

People, please share your tips.

Can anyone see a correction coming.. or am i smoking too much??
Old 12th January 2010, 23:24   #1370
BHPian

Fed up of looking everywhere on the net but in vain.So finally posting my query here.Till now t-bhp was my automotive mentor not it will be my financial one too I guess

Can any one please tell me how to put stop loss on ICICIdirect.com?
everytime I try to set it , it gives me a message saying that stop loss cannot be less than the trigger price
Why on heaven's would I want my stop loss to be more than the price at which I am going to purchase a particular equity/futures?

Any suggestion as to how to set stop loss on ICICI direct?

I was using sharekhan earlier and never faced any issues with stop loss setting.

ICICIdirect amazes me in certain ways.

Marketgurus using ICICIdirect.Any suggestions regarding stop loss setting?
Old 13th January 2010, 21:26   #1371
vsh
BHPian

i dont use icicic direct but let me explain how to put stops.
1)say- if u bought some stock at rs 100 and want to put stop at 97. you have to select SELL window, put 97 as trigger price and limit price as 96.5(ie below 97.)
2) if u have sold(shorted) a stock at rs 100 and want to put stop at 103. you have to select BUY window and put 103 as trigger price and 103.5(ie above 103) as limit price.

hope this clears the confusion. if still not, pls clealy mention your trade and stops in which you had encountered the problem.
Old 13th January 2010, 23:49   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
i dont use icicic direct but let me explain how to put stops.
1)say- if u bought some stock at rs 100 and want to put stop at 97. you have to select SELL window, put 97 as trigger price and limit price as 96.5(ie below 97.)
2) if u have sold(shorted) a stock at rs 100 and want to put stop at 103. you have to select BUY window and put 103 as trigger price and 103.5(ie above 103) as limit price.

hope this clears the confusion. if still not, pls clealy mention your trade and stops in which you had encountered the problem.
Hey Thanks Vsh , once again for coming for my rescue.
Makes sense.Will get back to you incase of any confusions
Old 6th February 2010, 01:29   #1373
BHPian

Any idea about Market mood on Monday?

Is any of you going to trade tomorrow in the trial session?

What is going to be the mood of the market on Monday? Any ideas?

Can anyone tell me if it makes sense to pick up the following at current prices:

IDBI Bank
IFCI
Larsen
Syndicate Bank
Reliance
GMR Infra
Rcom
Aban

I not sure if I should enter now or wait for markets to correct further
Old 6th February 2010, 16:46   #1374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
Is any of you going to trade tomorrow in the trial session?

What is going to be the mood of the market on Monday? Any ideas?

Can anyone tell me if it makes sense to pick up the following at current prices:

IDBI Bank
IFCI
Larsen
Syndicate Bank
Reliance
GMR Infra
Rcom
Aban

I not sure if I should enter now or wait for markets to correct further
I traded in the special trading session today and ended up with a profit of 19k.

If you were wise enough to purchase the above mentioned stocks on friday when the market was in a literal free fall then you would be smiling your way to the banks on Monday
Old 8th February 2010, 00:32   #1375
Team-BHP Support

If anybody is interested in discussing equities with like minded investors, they have to be on TheEquityDesk.com. Spend some time on this forum and you'll soon see the quality difference between theequitydesk and other forums like moneycontrol MB.

I personally invest in consumer brands (Eg: Marico, Titan, Asian Paints, Castrol India, Colgate Palmolive etc), PSU Banks and high dividend yielding stocks. Long term investors who don't have time to track the markets should 'buy and forget' consumer stocks to get 18 to 25% returns per annum - without too much tension.
Old 8th February 2010, 10:18   #1376
BANNED

How does one declare the earnings from share market? Is the tax deducted in every transaction or should one declare it separately?
Old 8th February 2010, 16:15   #1377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
How does one declare the earnings from share market? Is the tax deducted in every transaction or should one declare it separately?
You would have to determine your period of holding for the securities. If you held them for more than 12 months then its exempt u/s 10(38), else its taxable @ 10% as STCG(Short term capital gains).

But if its an income from speculation, that is intra day trading(like I do), then its a business income and you would need to calculate your total profit and loss on it and that would be taxed at normal tax rates, and you can claim rebate of STT(sales tax which your broker any deducts) paid on it. You cant deduct the STT from the profit. So profit has to be computed by adding back STT on all the purchase sale transactions.

This STT thing has to be done even in the case of computing Short Term Capital Gains (STCG).

Hope this was the information you wanted.

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 8th February 2010 at 16:17.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:08   #1378
BHPian

Can anybody comment on Concurrent India Infrastructure Ltd? Looks like the scrip is receiving too much appreciation...

Ramki.
Old 10th February 2010, 03:44   #1379
BHPian

Free portfolio tracker!!

I would like to know which portal has the best portfolio tracker for indian markets. I am using moneycontrol as of now, and would like to know if there is anything better out there.
Old 10th February 2010, 09:03   #1380
BANNED

in.finance.yahoo.com has a portfolio tracker.

Dunno if it is better than moneycontrol; but it loads sure faster and far less cluttered than moneycontrol, and that is what is more important for me.

What are advantages of moneycontrol?

Most Viewed