0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 396 32.25%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 23:45   #1441
Senior - BHPian

I had sold Siemens at 700 and am hoping to pick it up at 660 to 680 levels. I am certain Siemens will see 800 levels in a few months. Tata Power was sold last week around 1350, some were picked up at the 1290 levels and am hoping for some more between 1280 and 1260 I think T.Power should see 1380 soon enough.

A few Bharati Airtel went around 270 (purchased at 261). This was to offset the cost of older Airtel that I bought around 290. If this scrip does not cross 300 soon, I will cut my losses and get out.

I am hoping to pick up ICICI Bank around 820 hoping it will see 860 soon but this scrip is too unpredictable for me.

If Hind. Unilever goes below 230 and is near 225, I will pick up some as its correct level is around 250.

I am pondering over ACC.

Europe was about 2.5% down but the US markets are right now moving up and covering their losses of the morning. Tomorrow should be interesting.
Old 20th May 2010, 13:31   #1442
BHPian

Despite several attempts to protect 5000, the bulls finally surrendered on Wednesday.
What amazed me was the fact that the VIX, the investor’s fear gauge, has been consistently trading above 20 in the May series. In yesterday’s trade, it shot up above 30 to close at 32.04.And then I had no choice but to switch parties from bull to bears and it gave some handsome profits that I was able to book an i-pad from my yesterday's profit itself
Old 20th May 2010, 20:11   #1443
BHPian

^ That you made some handsome profits in a falling market is nice to hear. Hmmm......... please do share the secret.

The US VIX (Volatality Index) went up further today by 14.4% to 38.42. What is in store for the Indian bourses tomorrow?

While today's NIFTY VIX is not yet available on-line (atleast I cannot find it), yesterday it was 32.

There is an overwhelming opinion that NIFTY is headed for 4700 in the days to come. It may therefore be wise to exercise caution and not make large purchases. ( I made a large purchase yesterday, but I was only recovering what I had sold earlier at much higher prices. Otherwise I have been sticking to 5s and 10s. Today I bought one United Spirits for 1170 -I just couldn't keep my hands off )
Old 20th May 2010, 21:03   #1444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
^ That you made some handsome profits in a falling market is nice to hear. Hmmm......... please do share the secret.
Switched to the bear camp and shorted a few lots of NIFTY and Aban offshore.Aban too had a humpty dumpty fall after one of its biggest revenue earners the aban pearl sank in venezuela.Made a killing on both.
Purchased back(squared off) the aban lots yesterday itself as today Futures trading was suspended on 4 stocks including Aban due to the entire world taking a short position on Aban.

Quote:
There is an overwhelming opinion that NIFTY is headed for 4700 in the days to come. It may therefore be wise to exercise caution and not make large purchases. ( I made a large purchase yesterday, but I was only recovering what I had sold earlier at much higher prices. Otherwise I have been sticking to 5s and 10s. Today I bought one United Spirits for 1170 -I just couldn't keep my hands off
I belong to the bear camp now and no longer purchase.I am the selling guy now till NIFTY reaches 4700
And moreover I don't deal in the cash segment.I am too scared to stay in the cash segment for long periods.I trade in the Futures and options segment on an intraday basis and that gives me the kick for the day.
Old 20th May 2010, 21:20   #1445
BHPian

I guessed as much that you may be a Futures and Options guy. But I have so far not put my mind into it. May be the fear of the unknown keeps me off. Time to shed it. Do you think it will be safe for a newbie?

I will be happy if someone puts a primer on it.
Old 20th May 2010, 22:24   #1446
BHPian

Quote:
I guessed as much that you may be a Futures and Options guy. But I have so far not put my mind into it. May be the fear of the unknown keeps me off. Time to shed it. Do you think it will be safe for a newbie?

I will be happy if someone puts a primer on it.
Its very rewarding if you are a disciplined trader.When I started off I was able to make more than a couple of Lacs in the initial month itself out of just 58k principle.And then I got carried away and lost everything that I had including the principle itself.
Learnt all the lessons the hard way and now after a couple of years I have become more disciplined and now I stick to the ground rules.Keep myself a daily goal and exit as soon as its achieved and I am able to make monthy the same package what my firm pays me as a yearly package.IT service firms suck.

PM me in case you want a first hand intro and tips on futures and options.If you want we can meet for a cup of coffee and I will be more than willing to bring you into the futures category.The more people trade in futures the more money I can make per month looting them.Just kidding.

The first tip: Enter the futures trading only if you trade on a daily basis.Because if you are a long term trader then you will not even realise before your life is put up for auction.Lol.
Old 20th May 2010, 22:29   #1447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
I belong to the bear camp now and no longer purchase.I am the selling guy now till NIFTY reaches 4700
And moreover I don't deal in the cash segment.I am too scared to stay in the cash segment for long periods.I trade in the Futures and options segment on an intraday basis and that gives me the kick for the day.
US markets are hammered to thin sheets today. Tomorrow being last of the week should see some good movements .
Alter , I also find futures to be interesting that cash markets . .But carrying over night isn't risky ?
Old 20th May 2010, 22:45   #1448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Alter , I also find futures to be interesting that cash markets . .But carrying over night isn't risky ?
Basically I do day trading and seldom do swing(weekly trading) and hence carry over sometimes.But never keep the lots for more than a week.
Tried doing that once once on hope and never realised when everything was swept away from my bank account.
Carry over the next day only when you are doing BTST or STBT trading and are sure of a gap up or gap down opening on the next day.
BTST- buy today sell tomorrow
STBT - sell today buy tomorrow.

All you need to learn is DISCIPLINE to do future trading and trust me I purchased my tata safari from straight profits of 6 months.Hope you understand the profits involved if you are disciplined enough
Old 20th May 2010, 23:02   #1449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The US VIX (Volatality Index) went up further today by 14.4% to 38.42. What is in store for the Indian bourses tomorrow?

While today's NIFTY VIX is not yet available on-line (atleast I cannot find it), yesterday it was 32.
It closed at 31.04 today. Ranged between 28.69 and 32.35.
Old 20th May 2010, 23:21   #1450
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
I also find futures to be interesting that cash markets . .But carrying over night isn't risky ?
[/quote]

holding positions overnight is risky but you can carry as far as your position is in profit. dont carry the losing positions.
Old 29th May 2010, 11:19   #1451
BHPian

Hi Alter_Ego,
Which brokerage offers Sell Today, Buy Tomorrow? Also, please suggest a brokerage with low brokerages and more importantly good interface and ease of buying/selling like in icicidirect. I know icicidirect is very costly and I am making him rich
Old 29th May 2010, 16:41   #1452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Hi Alter_Ego,
Which brokerage offers Sell Today, Buy Tomorrow? Also, please suggest a brokerage with low brokerages and more importantly good interface and ease of buying/selling like in icicidirect. I know icicidirect is very costly and I am making him rich
Hey buddy,
The option of selling today and buying tomorrow is provided by all the brokers who give services in Futures and options.
If you are trading in the F&O segment then I like the following brokers.
1. Kotak and HSBC (Less brokerage but I dont like their interface)
2. Sharekhan (Nice user interface and less brokerage but ugly back end services).
3. ICICI (SKy high brokerage but the best user interface and best in services).

I personally have a sharekhan and a ICICI account but I prefer trading on ICICI. I mean If I am making 50k a day and comfortable using their interface then I do not mind the 2k which goes to brokerage and makes the ICICI people rich.They too have kids to feed.

But in case you trade in the cash segment then I do not think any broker provides the sell today and buy tomorrow option.They do a daily sqaure off in that segment.

P.S. Switch to F&O trading only if you have a rich dad or you are more disciplined than an army officer.

I became the latter after making my dad bankrupt.
Old 31st May 2010, 14:30   #1453
BHPian

Is anyone using a mobile to do trading?
If so which make and model and do you find it convenient or would you still want something better from your handsets?

Also do you use a trading software,provided by brokerages, on your mobile or do you directly access your broker's site on your mobile and trade directly?
Old 31st May 2010, 16:51   #1454
Senior - BHPian

Thats nice to hear lot of discussion going on. June month I feel Nifty will more likely in same range with positive bias. Max. top value 5200 and low around 4800.

I think July month will be bearish!! If Nifty cracks and closes below 4650 then expect target of 4400 to 4100. Entire year 2010 is for volatality and consolidation not good time for long term investors and risky/lucky for traders!! Huge swings will continue in entire 2010.

Ravi.
Old 3rd June 2010, 23:21   #1455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Thats nice to hear lot of discussion going on. June month I feel Nifty will more likely in same range with positive bias. Max. top value 5200 and low around 4800.

I think July month will be bearish!! If Nifty cracks and closes below 4650 then expect target of 4400 to 4100. Entire year 2010 is for volatality and consolidation not good time for long term investors and risky/lucky for traders!! Huge swings will continue in entire 2010.

Ravi.
I would like to agree with you, but for the fact that:
All markets - including currency, are so volatile, making it difficult to get a hold on where the market is headed.

Did you guys notice the RIL drop a couple of days back, and the same happen to the Nikkei earlier in the week. reminds of the Dow crash a month back. Scary!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks