0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 396 32.27%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 549 44.74%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.38%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1227. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2008, 18:52   #886
BHPian

Sudipto da, yes my experience of the stock market is limited. I have only seen this bull market going up and up. I never ever imagined markets could come down to such a level. Just look at where have all my ex-favorite stocks have gone; JP Associates, Reliance capital, Unitech, Adlabs, Karuturi global, United Spirits...

But then, I can't afford to do only classic investment, ie, identify a good stock, invest and hold on to it for years. I have to earn on a daily and monthly basis.

Here, I am glad to say that my wife also works and supports the family.
Fortunately, at the right time, we decided to have our own house. The plan was, I will make the downpayment of housing loan and she would take care of the EMI's. Then we decided to have a car. Again, I paid the down payment, and my wife is paying EMI's. Then, at the peak of the market, I took out some money and presented my wifey with some gold jewellery.

Now, I just hope that somehow I will survive these terrible times and looking forward to good old times
Old 7th November 2008, 19:21   #887
Senior - BHPian

To ME there is only one word that defines the stock market.
Its called > GREED.
We choose to enter because of greed. We make money out of greed and sometimes or most often(as is the case now) greed gets the better of us.
Some people have managed to make a successful life for themselves out of their greed.(read as - stock market play) and there are many wealthy examples to quote.
But for every succesful victor, there lay hundreds of losers and failures by the wayside.
I was told a long time ago by a wise man - when the panwalla and the watchmen and the drivers start discussing stock market play, its time to exit. This is exactly what was happening in Dec07 and Jan08 just before the crash began. There were predictions about the sensex hitting 40000.
For those who are making a living out of the stock market out of choice, greed has got the better of them. They are hooked and addicted. Its very difficult for them to quit unless the alternative is equally thrilling.
If you wish to give in to your greed, like I have done. Then do so only with spare cash that you can afford to lose. Giving in to your greed to make a livelihood, doesnt seem to be a very good idea to me. May God be with you.
Long live the smoke.
cheers: to all.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 7th November 2008 at 19:22.
Old 21st November 2008, 22:56   #888
Senior - BHPian

remembered your post long back

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
I believe I am already reaching my target of 10000 on Sensex this year. Original Target was for next year. Keeping most of the funds in cash for the right oppurtunity. All the mathematical models points to this for me.
good for you if u had cash reserves, but i don't think u had this carnage in mind
Old 24th November 2008, 09:31   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
remembered your post long back
good for you if u had cash reserves, but i don't think u had this carnage in mind
I believe I didnt expect this volatility in the market.

Waiting upto March 2009, wherein some events are expected, then I will decide the course of action.

Even I am down 50% of my investments , got stuck with lock - in period mutual funds
Old 24th November 2008, 15:07   #890
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Its called > GREED.
We choose to enter because of greed.
I'd say Greed is a good thing. If you know how to balance risk and where to draw the line. I didn't burn my fingers even in the recent crash, simply because I (strictly) followed my entry / exit points.

Quote:
Some people have managed to make a successful life for themselves out of their greed.(read as - stock market play) and there are many wealthy examples to quote.
True. But I know more successful personalities who played the stock market on fundamentals rather than on hearsay / tips. Look at the business they are in, the management, assets, products / services, marketability, cash on hand etc. etc.
Old 26th November 2008, 21:23   #891
Senior - BHPian

one question on mf.
I purchased some MFs through the ICICI online account. But I have not got any Folio number for that. Also, no email id is attached to the MF i bought. So, I am finding it difficult to get the account statement for those MFs from cams.
Any way out?
Cheers
Old 26th November 2008, 21:29   #892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post

Even I am down 50% of my investments , got stuck with lock - in period mutual funds

breaking the lock-in period only leaves you with 0-2.5 % of loss. with this crash we are talking about around 50% of losses.
Old 27th November 2008, 09:21   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
one question on mf.
I purchased some MFs through the ICICI online account. But I have not got any Folio number for that. Also, no email id is attached to the MF i bought. So, I am finding it difficult to get the account statement for those MFs from cams.
Any way out?
Cheers
There are a couple of ways to resolve this issue

1. If you have the MF statement, assuming you received the e-mail statement of the same, you might get the folio numbers from it

2. Ping the guys that the amount is debited from you account on so - so date and I bought this MF from ICICI online. They should help you out.

I did the same for my SBI mf bought online. Bombarded them with e-mails and calls to resolve it. After all it was a big amount
Old 27th November 2008, 09:38   #894
BANNED

lambuhere and vivek - "lock-in" in MFs is only for tax savings, AFAICT. To avail benefits under section 80C of Income Tax Act, you have to leave those investments along for 3 years. If you withdraw the amount before the lock in period, the income is added back [somebodypleaseclaifythis] to the income of the year in which you withdraw the amount, and have to pay tax. [somebodypleaseclaifythis]

Means, if If me and wife invest in the FlashyMFManager's Tax Saver, and I alone claim 80C benefit on it, and wife does not, her investment is not subject to lock in, but mine is.
Old 27th November 2008, 23:56   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Its called > GREED.
We choose to enter because of greed. We make money out of greed and sometimes or most often(as is the case now) greed gets the better of us.
But for every succesful victor, there lay hundreds of losers and failures by the wayside.
I was told a long time ago by a wise man - when the panwalla and the watchmen and the drivers start discussing stock market play, its time to exit. This is exactly what was happening in Dec07 and Jan08 just before the crash began. There were predictions about the sensex hitting 40000.
For those who are making a living out of the stock market out of choice, greed has got the better of them. They are hooked and addicted. Its very difficult for them to quit unless the alternative is equally thrilling.
If you wish to give in to your greed, like I have done. Then do so only with spare cash that you can afford to lose. Giving in to your greed to make a livelihood, doesnt seem to be a very good idea to me. May God be with you.
Long live the smoke.
cheers: to all.
Sir,

There is no such thing as free money, as long as one understand and relates to the elders (business men of Bombay of the 1920 to 1980s) it will make a heck lot of sense.

Pan wallah cannot leave his business and take up a terminal with a metastock running all throughout and have a bloomberg screen.

As long as the numbers (i.e. company financials, order books, debt ratios and such) make sense its wise to invest there.

If you dont have time, inclination, energy and MOST IMPORTANT the networking to back your investments up sorry you are not cut out for this.

I understand I am curt on this message and sounds very brusque. Please understand that I've learnt the hard way despite family telling me the opposite .

Calculated and planned greed is good, not a doubt on it at all, maturity levels of the markets make a difference.

Cheers

M M
Old 28th November 2008, 07:54   #896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
lambuhere and vivek - "lock-in" in MFs is only for tax savings, AFAICT.
totally forgot about the taxes . never did any tax saving.

I was talking about the exit load...which is not applicable after an year normally.
Old 28th November 2008, 09:20   #897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its called > GREED.
Long live the smoke.
Actually the smoke is short-lived. It is the leaf that lives long. And needs to be planted and nurtured so you can smoke it later when you like.

And the leaf-grower is not greedy. He's just planning his future smoke.
Old 28th November 2008, 09:31   #898
ECM
BHPian

Nifty is slowly but surely heading towards a target of 3211.
Old 28th November 2008, 09:39   #899
ECM
BHPian

Rushabh I don't agree though I know that this term "business"is a well known term among new investors,tell me if I am doing a business for example of chemicals how I can know the fundas of transport,petrolium,IT,Telecom sectors/business?You have to depend heavily on what management say right?Coz here atleast I don't know how they do "Business",what is their input cost,cost of making and marketing products,dependants of forex etc.,for Buffet this is surely a winning phrase("Business")coz his team does a lot of research for him,not our or my cup of tea.
Tip:-Next rally will be in FMCG do you know why?
No one can live without FMCG products,check their rates,they are at 18-19K sensex levels,I am talking of good FMCG and A grp.companies.Now their input cost will go down after a fuel price cut,at current senario they are still maintaining their bottom line,do not surprise if these old horses move up smartly in the next boom which may be a platform for another long term bull run,not in short term but in long term.

Quote:
True. But I know more successful personalities who played the stock market on fundamentals rather than on hearsay / tips. Look at the business they are in, the management, assets, products / services, marketability, cash on hand etc. etc.
Old 28th November 2008, 09:44   #900
Senior - BHPian

Based on moments of Nifty recently I too feel Nifty will target almost 3200 in near term. Today it might open weak but lets hope market will bounce back soon.

Regards,

Ravi.

Most Viewed