76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1227. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2009, 10:44   #1216
BHPian

[quote=rg_chn;1408293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
Same here. It's been like after a year I'm seeing overall portfolio at xx% gain. The stocks which mainly pulled my portfolio up were:

1) Aban Offshore bought @ 233.900 and 229.000
2) Axis Bank bought @ 284.500
3) Everonn Systems bought @ 85.000
4) Jyoti Structure bought @ 76.500
5) Siemens bought @ 214.000
6) Punj Lloyd bought @ 109.650
7) Suzlon bought @ 33.700 , 33.800 and 52.100

I'd suggest you not sell aban offshore shares. Can't give you reasons on a forum, if you can, keep it for another year.
P.s - it's only a suggestion, I'm not asking you to act based on what I said, if you need more details, pm me.

Regards
R.G
Thanks for the heads up. Infact Aban is one of the largest long positions that I have followed by Cairn, Satyam & Suzlon. Not looking to short the entire position anytime soon. I trade with them often but one thing is if I Sell them I immediately buy back when the price falls marginally.
Old 1st August 2009, 15:52   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
Navpreet I stopped posting here,reasons are well known to moderators and Rushabh.All my studies which I posted here and if a person who acted on my views would have come out of a huge losses he made during the meltdown,all this I shared without expecting anything in return but now its a past.Sorry I am a kind of person who love to breath in free air.
Sorry to hear that ECM, as Navpreet mentioned, you beat everyone when it came to calculation and interpretation. Wish you can continue to post.

Cheers,

P.S. I miss your e-mails.
Old 1st August 2009, 16:02   #1218
Senior - BHPian

I feel most of the Q1 good results are more because of cost cutting measure than any improvement in sales figure. Even though the sentiment in the market is slowly improving but it is not that high yet!

Atleast one good thing about the recession on the corporate side has been that all expenses are being looked at at greater details. Money is only being spent on something that is required rather than being desired.
Old 3rd August 2009, 19:50   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
I wouldn't say that, one can't decide if India's out of recession based on just one quarter's profits.
Yes, we have to take 2 - 3 quarters more to safely say recession is over. But markets always look ahead. Analysts already started estimating FY2011 earnings .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Infact dead scared if another Satyam will emerge one day!
Mahesh, another Harshad Mehtha can emerge any day ! scams are part and parcel of stock markets
Old 7th August 2009, 10:52   #1220
Team-BHP Support

I have realized one very simple truth.
My gross habits and net income, don't match.

One option is to get into this trading.
Can someone please share the name of any good e-book, I can use to understand the satta bazaar.
Old 7th August 2009, 10:56   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have realized one very simple truth.
My gross habits and net income, don't match.

One option is to get into this trading.
Can someone please share the name of any good e-book, I can use to understand the satta bazaar.
Visit Moneycontrol.com

You can start maintaning a virtual portfolio there and see how your would be investments would have fared.
Old 7th August 2009, 11:01   #1222
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Visit Moneycontrol.com

You can start maintaning a virtual portfolio there and see how your would be investments would have fared.
Moneycontrol will take care not only of stocks but various investment options as well.

Sharekhan.com is also good if you are interested only in stocks.
Old 7th August 2009, 11:16   #1223
Team-BHP Support

To make myself clear. I want to learn how to spot stocks. Identify, which one to invest in. When to invest in it, when to get out of it.

I understand this comes with experience, but I would like to learn how to read trends from newspapers. How does some development impact a particular company and so on.
Old 7th August 2009, 11:28   #1224
BHPian

Guys, NHPC's IPO announced, offer closes on 12th august, face value of Rs.10, in the price band of Rs.30 to Rs.36.minimum application of 175 shares, and then in multiples of 175.A good long term investment, and it's not going to be too expensive to buy either.
Old 7th August 2009, 11:39   #1225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To make myself clear. I want to learn how to spot stocks. Identify, which one to invest in. When to invest in it, when to get out of it.

I understand this comes with experience, but I would like to learn how to read trends from newspapers. How does some development impact a particular company and so on.
There is no exact science. Thats why fund managers manage others money, and do not manage their own.
If there was a guide which told you exactly how to get rich in stock market, all fund managers will be investing their own money
Old 7th August 2009, 11:43   #1226
BHPian

Quote:

The more time you spend tracking the more you learn, there is no short cut, I have even ordered traning materials from the web to learn the same, but did not find it satisfactory, the best thing you can do is maintain a virtual portfolio in Moneycontrol.com and then keep tracking the shares you invested in.

If you contiune to visit Moneycontrol everyday, you will see many up's and down with time.

My best logic is that, I buy when everyone else sell's, but I don't buy everything.

In the right hands, and with someone who has a lot of guts, Rs 5lakhs could have become Rs 50 Lakhs since Oct 18th 2008, when markets crached all over, but then I don't know anyone who actually made that big a kill, even though the markets provided ample oppurtunities.

Last edited by musicmanaman : 7th August 2009 at 11:46.
Old 7th August 2009, 11:52   #1227
JVH
Senior - BHPian

bblost,

If you want to read simple stock market stuff, read Warren Buffet. He has simple rules for investing and very sensible.

The rest of the stuff is filled with jargons, graphs and what not.

Like others said, it all comes through experience.

@musicmanaman - agree with you!
Old 7th August 2009, 12:51   #1228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
bblost,

If you want to read simple stock market stuff, read Warren Buffet. He has simple rules for investing and very sensible.

The rest of the stuff is filled with jargons, graphs and what not.

Like others said, it all comes through experience.

@musicmanaman - agree with you!
I am not trying to disagree to whats said here, But....

Warren Buffett is definitely a good read. However, most part of his approaches are based majorly on consumerism. I think this factor is going to be a relatively lesser-impact factor going forward. Having said that, the man has quite a few interesting things to say.

@bblost: i do have a suggestion. if u think u r in for the long run, try getting ur hands on a good economics book. will give u a good complete-picture perspective. although it would take some time. if i remember any good and non-jargonish books, will let you know.
Old 7th August 2009, 12:57   #1229
Team-BHP Support

Any one know anything about Reliance Alternative Investments Fund. It invests in medium to large companies with a view of bring them to an IPO or a buy out. YOu need to lock in for around 3 years
Old 7th August 2009, 12:59   #1230
BANNED

If you are a total novice. Read the jargon first. Understand whats what. Then get into stratergies and long term and research, etc.

This is a lottery unless you are real smart. 5% of who ever got into this are.

Most Viewed