0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 396 32.25%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2009, 20:57   #1336
BHPian

Thanks Raul. I had plans of holding it for a month or two.
Old 14th December 2009, 20:58   #1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldsouza View Post
I absolutely agree , One up on Wall Street and Intelligent Investor is one of the best books on value Investing. Even "The Dhando Investor" makes up for an interesting read.

I am right now selling some stocks so that I could buy my new car. (ANHC or Altis)

Though I could take a loan, However I dont believe in going beyond my means when buying something that will only depreciate with time.
I agree and I too did the same thing. Sold off some stocks to help myself get a new car (since it wasn't much and didn't cover the total costs, I had to go for some loan too).
Old 14th December 2009, 21:49   #1338
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Hi vsh,

Can you please share the softcopy(pdf) in case you have it?

EDIT:Sorry MODs for the consecutive posts.Did it almost absentmindedly and forgot about the edit feature
sorry, i only have the hard copy. but i do have some other ebooks on trading and investing. please send a private message if needed.
Old 20th December 2009, 22:09   #1339
BANNED

As part of hedging and diversifying ones asset allocation , Has any one invested in Super Fund Managed Futures especially Superfund Gold B SICAV ?

Superfund - The Future of Investing

If yes feedback on your experience
Old 20th December 2009, 22:57   #1340
Senior - BHPian

I haven't noticed this thread so far. But I am very poor in this. I have some Mf. Later when I came on retirement they told that the PAN card is mandatory for MF. SO I gave up all.
Old 21st December 2009, 11:10   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Which stocks should one buy if the holding period is ver long term (15-18 years). ? I am wary of large caps like SBI , Reliance indus, because i think these stocks are reaching saturation and there is very little growth potential left in them. Any quality mid-caps ?

Last edited by DCEite : 21st December 2009 at 11:13.
Old 21st December 2009, 11:22   #1342
Team-BHP Support

Its the time of the year when investments are made.
The email from HR has arrived and the search for good ELSS funds has started.

Any suggestion on upcoming NFO's or existing ELSS funds.

Thanks,
Old 21st December 2009, 11:34   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Thanks,
Lumpsum investments in mutual fund specially at current levels is not very advisable. IMO best strategy is to start SIP from the start of financial year and invest in EMIs till year end.

However, if you still want to invest in equity i suggest keeping a 30:70 ratio of equity to debt. For debt you could consider PPF, NSC and for equity ELSS funds some good performers are Sundaram BNP Paripas taxsaver and Fidelity tax advantage fund.

Hope that helps.
Old 23rd December 2009, 21:33   #1344

Quote:

Thanks,
Hi BBlost,

It is always better to go for existing ELSS funds with a proven track record than going for a NFO. A Cheaper NAV doesn't mean anything.

The two funds suggested by DCEite are good funds. One more is HDFC Taxsaver.

As per me the ratio of equity and debt depends on how soon you want the money back. If you are looking at a long term like say 8 to 10 yrs equity would be the best bet. As you approach your goal, ensure that you keep moving the money into debt.

Though having some debt in your portfolio at all times makes sense.

If you are planning to invest your entire 80c exemptions in MFs then try to spread it among the various fund houses.
Old 23rd December 2009, 21:56   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Which stocks should one buy if the holding period is ver long term (15-18 years) Any quality mid-caps ?
DCEite, i would recommend the following stocks to hold for a year or two. These stocks were recommended by a stock broker in an interview to a chennai financial magazine.
DISHTV, WWIL, UNITECH, Adanipower, nhpc, ifci, chemplast, ttml, niitltd, gmrinfra

Quote:
Thanks,
so the appraisal process has started in your company then

You can look at HDFC Top 200 and Reliance Growth Fund MF's. I was told a new NFO from Sundaram BNP Paribas is also promising.
--

Disclaimer:
1. Please note that i am not promoting and i do not have any monetary benefits arising.
2. The usual stock markets risks apply.
Old 24th December 2009, 00:15   #1346
BHPian

Hi , about tips and views from analysts, all that I have to say is , it would be a disaster to blindly trust them . May be you could treat that as a tip and analyse the company's financial doings yourself, the rates over past years etc and then take a decision.

An analyst on NDTV profit, once said that Suzlon would touch 170 in short term. So, when it was 135rs, I bought 50K worth. And then it fell down sharply ! Now, I bought just before they posted their loses ! If I had waited until they had published their results then I would have not invested in their scrip. Now, I am holding it for a very long term !

Market is influenced greatly by such analysts. So its best to tread with caution on what they say. If some one knows a real tip which is 100% true, they would seldom share in on forums or TV's .! Tips, analysys are individual views and may not be facts and sometime their sole intention is to inflate the price . They all come with a very big caution.

Stocks, only invest the money, which in the event of a loss will not harm your financial condition. Never borrow and invest.
Old 24th December 2009, 16:42   #1347
BHPian

Hi guys,

Any news on Cals refineries? Is it worth investing for 1+ years for a target of Rs.100/- or so?
Old 24th December 2009, 17:10   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi guys,

Any news on Cals refineries? Is it worth investing for 1+ years for a target of Rs.100/- or so?
Hi, Last year I bought around 1000 shares of cals refineries. They have not nudged a bit. Honestly, I think 100rs is very unrealistic anytime in the future, considering they are only .45 paise now, and there is no activity on their business front yet.

Neverthless, since its only .45 paise and the face value is 1rs , It is a good buy. Get a 1000 shares and sit on it for almost 3-4 years. You dont lose much on it anyways.
Old 28th December 2009, 18:10   #1349
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Stars of the year- Stocks

For those who track the stock markets
Imagine having built a portfolio worth 5 lakhs ONLY with the following from Jan-March 2009 and holding it for JUST A YEARS PERIOD( not even over, only 9 months now...)
1. Aurbindo Pharma( little risky but pharma- safer than the rest)- avg @ Rs 160, now Rs 930
2. Tata Steel( our oldest and largest steel co)- avg @ Rs 160, now 600+
3. HDIL( Huge Land Bank)- avg @ 90 rs
4. ICICI Bank( largest bank in india- pvt sector)- avg @ Rs 280, went to Rs 920
5. TATA Motors( surely one would believe it will not sink)- avg @ 160 Rs , now 780

If taken avg prices mentioned there the value of 5 lakhs would be about 20 Lacs...thats called the power of indian growth story...
Wish the next decade would throw up such more chances...can buy a Honda Accord brand new with the gains in the next 2 years...the big word there is "IF"....

Which stocks do you think will be the stars of the next 1-2 years...lets get our grey matter working and come up with a list of potential baggers and multi baggers
Old 28th December 2009, 19:24   #1350
vsh
BHPian

in latest dalalstreet magazine, a list is given-where to invest in 2010.
my picks from the list- geodesic-121, federal bank-242

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks