0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 396 32.25%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2010, 17:16   #1531
Team-BHP Support

No Idea effect, because Spice Mobiles has nothing to do with Spice Tele. I think the boom in mobile handset sales of non-major brands (Micromax, Lava, Karbon, Spice, Videocon etc) is having an effect on the share price of Spice Mobile.
Old 16th October 2010, 12:15   #1532
BANNED

Two queries

Query 1.

Guys, when I buy / sell something, I just keep watching the market on TV / computer / mobile and when I feel that teh price is right, call the broker. (My broker insists on a minimum monthly brokerage for giving me an online account - but I am not a day trader).

What happens is, the prices will be different by the time my order is executed.

Last week, I called the broker, and found that the prices were about 3% different from what I saw, so asked him to execute the contract wehn if the price is N rupees. It happened in about half an hour.

I am sure that (a) what I have been doing so far is not efficient enough (b) there is a term for the order I placed. What is it?? What other types of orders can I place?

Query 2.

With the divergent (indices going up, stocks I hold stagnatingl indices going down, stocks Ihold going down still more ) trend in the markets, I was reading the analysts, and feel that I need to read between the lines on their views. And the message I keep on getting is, "sell now, so that we can buy, and sell them back to you at a still higher price". Am I the only one feeling that way?
Old 16th October 2010, 12:57   #1533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I just noticed my investment on Spice Mobility of Rs 14.91 has increased to 103.60 in 3 years. Any idea as why this has happened? Is it due to Idea's effect? But that was on Spice telecommunication isn't it?
There is a saying in Hindi

"Aam khao, guthliyan mat gino"

You have made good profit on this stock, you should sell it. I personally do not see any great fundamentals of this stock. If i were you i will sell this stock and invest the proceeds in a good blue chip stock after a correction in the markets (think Bharti Airtel etc.).
Old 16th October 2010, 18:18   #1534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I think the boom in mobile handset sales of non-major brands (Micromax, Lava, Karbon, Spice, Videocon etc) is having an effect on the share price of Spice Mobile.
Hey Smartcat; long time, hope everything is fine. Yeah probably, I too see lot of Videocon, Onida jumping into the mobile wagon these days, so Spice could be no exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Guys, when I buy / sell something, ...What is it?? What other types of orders can I place?
Well, you can try online trading where you can set the cut offs to buy/sell instead of relying upon broker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Am I the only one feeling that way?
Well, I don't feel that way; what I believe strongly is long term. Pick up good stocks & forget it; for sure, after few years, the stock will shoot up & the returns are definitely better than bank FD's or PO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
You have made good profit on this stock, you should sell it. I personally do not see any great fundamentals of this stock. If i were you i will sell this stock and invest the proceeds in a good blue chip stock after a correction in the markets (think Bharti Airtel etc.).
That's a good idea & you're right in a way - Avoid being greedy!!! What else can I purchase? Any suggestion is appreciated. But no!!! I don't want to buy anything more than Rs 200-300.
Old 16th October 2010, 23:20   #1535
BANNED

Quote:
But no!!! I don't want to buy anything more than Rs 200-300.
Why not?

A stock priced at Rs. 20 may be overpriced.
A stock priced at Rs 2000 may be underpriced.

Stock price taken in isolation has no meaning.
Old 17th October 2010, 12:19   #1536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why not?
Because...I'm not a risk taker I don't want to buy 4 stock of Rs 2000, instead would like to buy 8 of Rs 2000.

Quote:
A stock priced at Rs. 20 may be overpriced.
A stock priced at Rs 2000 may be underpriced.
Yes you've a point, but the thing is I'm not a regular investor as well as not aggressive.

Quote:
Stock price taken in isolation has no meaning.
What does this mean?
Old 17th October 2010, 13:43   #1537
BANNED

Quote:
Because...I'm not a risk taker
Why is buying stock priced more than Rs.200-300 more than risky than buying that of 200-300 or less?

Quote:
I don't want to buy 4 stock of Rs 2000, instead would like to buy 8 of Rs 2000.
I don't get it. Buying 8 of Rs. 2000 is twice as risky as buying 4 of 2000 (assuming it's the same stock).

Quote:
Yes you've a point, but the thing is I'm not a regular investor as well as not aggressive.
I don't see how it's more agressive to buy a stock worth more than 200-300. Maybe the most defensive buy is a stock costing Rs. 2000 & the most agressive buy is one buying Rs. 20.

Quote:
What does this mean?
It means the price of the stock cannot be judged without other factors. i.e. saying I don't want to buy stock worth more than 200-300 is meaningless - it makes no sense at all. A stock costing 2000 may be very cheap. A stock cost Rs.20 may be very expensive & overpriced. So comparing 2 stocks based on their price is totally meaningless.
Old 17th October 2010, 16:12   #1538
BANNED

argee, you can buy Rolls Royces; you can buy Mercs, you can buy Maybachs.

Or you can buy Toyotas, Jaguars and the like.

You can get Suzukis and Chevys.

Duh, you will get Nanos and even ambys too.

Or you can get non-branded things for any (lesser) price you are willing to pay.

You can buy ambys and skodas (over priced under performers, drag on your pocket in different ways). Or you can buy Nanos and Suzukis, (just right for a typical pocket, but no brand value). Of course, buying cars is not like buying stocks. So, do not try to pick holes in the argument.

Hope you get the point carboy is trying to make, and I agree with him.
Old 17th October 2010, 16:35   #1539
BANNED

Me thinks otherwise. Stocks trading in thousands attract long term investors who are willing to hold for years and let the company grab a bigger pie of the business. It also shows the management is not playing to the stock market but is focusing its resources on growing its market share. The cheaper the stock, the more it attracts day trades who count on margin by volumes making th stock volatile and giving less time to management to invest the money for growing the business.

Vijay

Last edited by vjoy3 : 17th October 2010 at 16:37.
Old 17th October 2010, 16:38   #1540
Senior - BHPian

Guys when is coal india IPO hitting ? Will it be available for ICICIDirect account holders ?
Old 17th October 2010, 18:43   #1541
Senior - BHPian

Guys, urgent help needed. I thought since this is the stock market thread, this maybe appropriate here.

I purchased this new vodafone number a month back & since then i am getting these irritating messages of some stock market thingy! i get around 10 messages every day.

I traced the previous owner of this number on facebook (!!) & he admitted he has subscribed to such a service but he says he has asked his sub-broker to de-activate it on his old number, which is my present number! i messaged him to please ask his broker once again or pass the number or SMS format of de-activation to me so that i can do it, but have not heard of him since then!

Can someone help me? i get messages from "TD-PL-TECH". anyone here with a similar service? i am from mumbai. can someone tell me how to de-activate this?
Old 17th October 2010, 18:51   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys when is coal india IPO hitting ? Will it be available for ICICIDirect account holders ?
18-21 Oct bidding starts. not sure about ur second question.
Old 17th October 2010, 18:55   #1543
BANNED

MMTC and MRF are two stocks which are priced in the stratospheric range, and deliver marginal returns (IMHO, YMMV, YADA, YADA) to investors.

So, there cound not be any generalisations based on the stock price.

I recall teh days when infosys was trading in the hundreds. And then it went into teh thousands. Guys who bought it at 1K odd would still be better placed now.

And Ireally do not find any value in this talk; if you think a stock is over priced because it quotes a 4 digit price tag, you deserve the returns you get.

DCEite, Coal India opens tomorrow, IIRC; I am no fan of IPOs.
Old 17th October 2010, 18:58   #1544
BHPian

Quote:
Of course, it will be available through Icicidirect.Why would they let go of the commission they get on every IPO application.
Old 17th October 2010, 19:25   #1545
Senior - BHPian

@Carboy & @BSD - You guys got me wrong; my risk taking capacity is not related with Rs 200/300, its with the max cap of Rs 2000 only.

Re 1 increase with 2 stock of Rs 1000 = profit = 2 Rs
Re 1 increase with 8 stock of Rs 250 = profit = 8 Rs
Hope you guys got the point; again, you guys can have a point of 2 stock increasing by Rs 10. I don't know what to say, but my point is, I'm not in the band wagon of Rs 1000 per stock. I'm still in lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite
Here you go; this is from Kotak (horrible one)
Do you play the stock market-p4.jpg

I'm thinking to buy once this hits the market rather than IPO. What's your suggestion guys?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks