76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1227. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 16:42   #2116
BHPian

Re: Forum/Community for Indian Stocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Is there an active forum/community for discussion solely on indian stock market investments and trading?

Pl. suggest some quality portals/forum where the discussions are moderated.
Have you looked at Traderji ?
Old 25th January 2013, 02:35   #2117
BHPian

Re: Forum/Community for Indian Stocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Have you looked at Traderji ?
Thank You! I shall check this out. Is this only about trading? Do they have something on investing?
Old 25th January 2013, 09:52   #2118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

Thank You! I shall check this out. Is this only about trading? Do they have something on investing?
Please check www.theequitydesk.com also. It is more about investing.
Old 7th February 2013, 12:00   #2119
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
You are right about the HS pattern and there could be a downward breakout, but the optimistic side is that the right shoulder is not strong and more often than not the breakout fails in such situations. (or is not very bad)
Did we hit it now ? With the new information, GDP below 5%

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/18379527.cms
Old 7th February 2013, 13:07   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Did we hit it now ? With the new information, GDP below 5%

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/18379527.cms
Phew..thats bad news. lets hope for some good results this year.
Old 7th February 2013, 13:31   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Phew..thats bad news. lets hope for some good results this year.
Something caught my eye just now. Are we waiting for the event listed below

http://www.businessinsider.com/massi...ank-etf-2013-2

Quote:
The trader bought 100,000 put options on the ETF (a put option increases in value when the price of the underlying asset, in this case, the ETF, goes down).

http://www.businessinsider.com/art-c...vix-bet-2013-2

Quote:
Last week somebody put on a call spread on the VIX using the April 20 and 25 puts. They bought 150,000 contracts for a net of $75 per contract. That is an $11,250,000 bet that the VIX will move over 20 over the next 60 days. You would have to be VERY confident in your outlook to risk $11 million on a directional position with the VIX at five year lows and the markets trying to break out to new highs.
Old 8th February 2013, 14:16   #2122
BHPian

I have a few novice questions. Lets say someone with absolutely no experience and no pre-existing knowledge of the stock market system wants to get into stock market trading for primary source of income.

1. What is the learning curve? Should that person dabble part time over a few years first?

2. How much capital will he/she need to invest / trade for a certain monthly profit? Lets say he wants 'X' rupees average return per month as steady income. How many times of 'X' (example: 8X, 10X, etc) should he invest / trade in the market short term / long term?

I understand that the second question is too simplified. Just want to get a rough idea.
Old 17th May 2013, 18:03   #2123
PGA
BHPian

Phew, this thread is lying dormant for last three months when stock markets are doing trapeze show!
Well, I have a question about the participation of DII and FII. Why is that majority of times they take contrarian calls, when FIIs are buying the DII are selling and vice a versa.
Why do these groups see markets in opposite view to each other or what do they see that looks so opposing when seen from same perspective.
Old 18th May 2013, 01:01   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
Phew, this thread is lying dormant for last three months when stock markets are doing trapeze show!
Well, I have a question about the participation of DII and FII. Why is that majority of times they take contrarian calls, when FIIs are buying the DII are selling and vice a versa.
Why do these groups see markets in opposite view to each other or what do they see that looks so opposing when seen from same perspective.
Hi.
Good of you to pump up this thread after so many months
AFAIR in 2013 DII and the mutual funds have sold stocks worth rs 43000 crores.
As for the question of FII it is the liquidity resulting in the incremental flow and in turn the sensex going up albeit with new leaders like ITC, HUL, Asian Paints etc.
Old leaders like Reliance, Infosys, SBI, Reliance (Anil group) etc nowhere near their peaks
Regards
Old 18th May 2013, 13:35   #2125
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi.
Good of you to pump up this thread after so many months
AFAIR in 2013 DII and the mutual funds have sold stocks worth rs 43000 crores.
Thanks, but for the current FY, FIIs have pumped in Rs 168367 crores of which Rs 140033 has gone into equity market and rest into the debt market. (Figs from SEBI website)
My doubt is why when FIIs are pumping the money in equity markets, DIIs get on with taking out money, market at such times go around scaling new highs. (Periodic or yearly) When the markets are tanking and making new lows DIIs are the net buyers.

Is this one of the reasons for those measly returns that majority of mutual funds give in India!

Why this dichotomy in perception of two professional groups?
Old 18th May 2013, 16:02   #2126
BHPian

Hi there, I am new to these terminologies DII and FII - Can someone please tell me the biggest DII's - Are these the biggest mutual funds of India? I am aware of big FII but just wanted to know some the domestic ones. It seems a bit wierd why activity of both types of investors are not in sync - I mean both should move in tandem right?

Also in India does retail participation have any major impact on stock price? Is it possible to find out for any stock like TATA Motors how many shares were traded by retail people and how many by Institutional? I know the retail number will be small but just wanted to get an idea where can I get this data.
Old 18th May 2013, 23:54   #2127
BHPian

PGA/Saanil
Hi.
It is the difference of perception.
There has been redemption pressure and because of that they are selling whereas it is the other way around as far as FIIs go. There is incremental money flowing in from outside as mentioned earlier by me. Only time will tell whose perception was better.

Saanil
LIC is the big daddy of them all viz the domestic institutional investor.
The India mutual funds are different.
There is not too much retail participation as such specially as far as delivered volumes go.
I am not too sure about the volume but moment there is a block deal in any share the buyer has to disclose his identity.
In my earlier posts I have always advocated to members here to stick to big scrips. It is safer. A caveat the leadership changes.
Regards
PS:Quite a lot of money is coming through the Mauritius route and there are questions raised about the origin of that

Last edited by faustus77 : 18th May 2013 at 23:55.
Old 19th May 2013, 00:02   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
PGA/Saanil

Saanil
LIC is the big daddy of them all viz the domestic institutional investor.

PS:Quite a lot of money is coming through the Mauritius route and there are questions raised about the origin of that
Hi Faustus,

Thanks for the info. Even I follow the rule that one should start investing only by doing so in the big companies. I usually follow the sector wise approach i.e. I pick up a sector and then choose companies. It is possible that I may not like any company in a particular sector. I had started out with Auto Industry. I am now looking at Telecoms and Banks. What are your top picks in these sectors?

Sadly for Telecoms, in my opinion the sector has tremendous growth potential but some how bad regulations have hurt this industry. Bharti Airtel and Idea would be my prefered choice.

For banks - yet to start the analysis. Any ideas how to start analyzing banks? The valuations seem a bit expensive now right?
Old 19th May 2013, 01:30   #2129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Faustus,

Thanks for the info. Even I follow the rule that one should start investing only by doing so in the big companies. I usually follow the sector wise approach i.e. I pick up a sector and then choose companies. It is possible that I may not like any company in a particular sector. I had started out with Auto Industry. I am now looking at Telecoms and Banks. What are your top picks in these sectors?

Sadly for Telecoms, in my opinion the sector has tremendous growth potential but some how bad regulations have hurt this industry. Bharti Airtel and Idea would be my prefered choice.

For banks - yet to start the analysis. Any ideas how to start analyzing banks? The valuations seem a bit expensive now right?
Saanil
Hi
I am sitting on a loss as far Reliance Communications(bought in 2007) is concerned so my opinion on the telecom would be colored. Yes quite a lot of analysts are bullish on Bharti but I cannot be. Once burnt twice shy.
I am bullish on banks and analysts more so on private sector banks.
I hold SBI which I bought in 1998.Today the dividend yield is more than the fixed deposits. At the same time had I bought HDFC bank in 1998 the story would have been better. A titbit. AFAIR SBI has paid uninterrupted dividend for some 110 years which would be a record of sorts.
Other than SBI I own Oriental Bank(bought 2006) and ICICI bought in 2010 and 2011.
A caveat: What happens in the future is anybody's guess. Personally I am waiting for some reaction before I buy. Maybe due elections or the tendency of the market to go down after the month of May (it has happened more often than not).Upto you
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 19th May 2013 at 01:31.
Old 19th May 2013, 09:21   #2130
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77
I hold SBI which I bought in 1998.Today the dividend yield is more than the fixed deposits.
Can you please explain this aspect preferably with an example as to how the dividend yield is greater than FD.
Rgds

Most Viewed