26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2013, 09:10   #2146
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Are there any bicycle manufacturing companies listed on the stock exchange apart from Atlas?

Ok, I just found TI cycles as well.

Any inputs on how these stocks look at current levels?

Last edited by hellmet : 15th June 2013 at 09:15.
Old 2nd July 2013, 15:44   #2147
BHPian

Need Help!
Is there any way I can receive ICICI Direct's iclick2gain recommendations on my mobile through text or on some messenger?
Old 26th July 2013, 13:28   #2148
BHPian

I have bought some private and public banks. Many are quoting at multi year lows and soem below their book value. My picks are Yes Bank, Federal Bank and Canara Bank.
Old 26th July 2013, 15:13   #2149
BHPian

Is anybody following the following stocks at current levels

1.BILT
2.Sintex industries
3.Marico
4.Balmer Lawrie
Old 29th July 2013, 13:36   #2150
BHPian

As for sintex and bilt it is better to sell off and shift ,Marico looks good and above 220 it can go up,All fmcg is doing well so expect marico to go up,keep a stop loss of 190 though,balmer lawrie is a thinly traded share ,keep a stop loss of 330 and hold.
Old 29th July 2013, 22:42   #2151
BHPian

Hi,

Have been a Bhpian for more than 2 years and never realised there is a thread for stocks!!

I have been breathing and eating stocks for two years now. Quit my regular job after I realized this is where I belong. Read up some classic books on equity investing and joined some wonderful forums out there. Networking and joining hands with many senior independent investors helped me shorten my learning curve.

It has been a rewarding experience - the process of understanding different businesses, deciphering the drivers of sales and profits, building conviction in the prospects of the company using thorough research and ground work, meeting the various company promoters/key managers and most importantly understanding how human psychology makes or breaks investments. The best thing is that the learning never stops. I cannot think of something more intellectually stimulating.

Great to know that many fellow team Bhpians are avid stock pickers.

Cheers

VW
Old 30th July 2013, 15:02   #2152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi,

Read up some classic books on equity investing and joined some wonderful forums out there.

VW
Could you share the names of the books and forums?
Old 30th July 2013, 15:15   #2153
BHPian

Hi Abeer,

The classic must reads are these
1) The intelligent investor - Benjamin Graham
2) One Up on Wallstreet - Peter Lynch

For a good framework on stock analysis read
1) The five rules for successful stock investing - Pat Dorsey

To get a grip on behavioral finance and to tame your mind
1) Thinking Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman
2) Value Investing and Behavioral Finance - Parag Parikh

Another must read is the Letters of Warrent Buffet available free in the Berkshire website. I also like Mary Buffet's book "Buffetology".

Prof Sanjay Bakshi's blog is another treasure. Google him.

One of the best forums for learning equity investment with the seniors is valuepckr.com. I am an active member there.

There are many more good blogs and forums...just search.

If you are a beginner start with Parag Parikh's and Peter Lynch's books and then Pat Dorsey's book for a full fledged stock analysis.

Hope this helps

VW

Last edited by VindyWheels : 30th July 2013 at 15:16.
Old 30th July 2013, 16:04   #2154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
As for sintex and bilt it is better to sell off and shift ,Marico looks good and above 220 it can go up,All fmcg is doing well so expect marico to go up,keep a stop loss of 190 though,balmer lawrie is a thinly traded share ,keep a stop loss of 330 and hold.
I had exited BILT at 35.It went on to 45 before crashing down. It's 11 now. With green endings indicating buyer interest at current levels. It's a commodity stock at lower levels., with fundamentals unchanged from 35 levels. Do you trade commodity stocks.?
Old 30th July 2013, 22:52   #2155
BHPian

Hi,

Here are some of stocks which look attractive at current price and ideal % allocation of fund if I were to build a portfolio today:

1) Kaveri Seed company - Rs 1530 - allocate 30% of the fund
2) Canfin Homes - Rs 125 - allocate 20%
3) Symphony Aircoolers - Rs 285 - allocate 20%
4) Navneet Publications - Rs 58 - allocate 15%
5) MPS Ltd - Rs 125 - allocate 15%

This is just my thought process and the above picks and weights can change according to changing market situations. But I'm confident in my research and expect this portfolio to give atleast 30% returns in FY14. Please do own due diligence before taking your investment decisions and always be wary of borrowed conviction.

Rgds

VW
Old 31st July 2013, 01:22   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
I have been breathing and eating stocks for two years now. Quit my regular job after I realized this is where I belong. Read up some classic books on equity investing and joined some wonderful forums out there. Networking and joining hands with many senior independent investors helped me shorten my learning curve.
It has been a rewarding experience - the process of understanding different businesses, deciphering the drivers of sales and profits, building conviction in the prospects of the company using thorough research and ground work, meeting the various company promoters/key managers and most importantly understanding how human psychology makes or breaks investments. The best thing is that the learning never stops. I cannot think of something more intellectually stimulating.
Why dont you start sharing your learnings / knowledge you picked from networking with other experts here or separately elsewhere so that others (like me) can learn a bit too? Posting your picks & analysis will surely help others to analyse (not blindly buy) what you put up, if you are interested.
Old 31st July 2013, 10:18   #2157
BHPian

Hi Null,

To make the learning simpler this is what a Sr Investor shared on the different areas one needs to work on.

There are broadly three areas one needs to keep building and sharpening his skills in:

1) Information Edge - to analyse a stock we need to collect information on the company, industry, competitors, promoters etc. Over a period of time one needs to be skilled in quickly assimilating information.

I always start with the annual reports of the company. Read about 10 years annual report starting with the oldest one. This could be boring but I feel its very critical. Other sources of vital information are competitors annual reports, articles on the industry trend, conference calls (there is a wonderful site called research bites which provide concall transcripts and audio files), investor presentations etc.

Apart from these we also meet the company's top management/promoters, its distributors or channel partners and even the competitors where-ever possible (this step is taken only if the stock passes most of the screens and looks good in the initial research)

The objective is to collect all the info needed for you to understand how exactly the business works, is the opportunity in front of the company big and sustainable, does the company have enough resources to tap the opportunity without taking undue risks and what is the level of profitability.

We also need to gain a handle on the management - integrity, attitude towards share holders, business acumen etc

Information edge is easy to acquire but the next two are tougher - Analysis edge and Behavioral edge. Will explain those in details in subsequent posts. Meanwhile let me know if this is helping.

Rgds

VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Why dont you start sharing your learnings / knowledge you picked from networking with other experts here or separately elsewhere so that others (like me) can learn a bit too? Posting your picks & analysis will surely help others to analyse (not blindly buy) what you put up, if you are interested.
Old 31st July 2013, 11:37   #2158
BHPian

Great to have you VW on this forum, I have been doing some activity in this market since 2003 apart from my main business. Previousely the IPO market was hot cake, but not nowadays.
Please guide me in these stocks HUL, SPARC, Tata steel, Coal India and MOIL.
Old 1st August 2013, 22:30   #2159
BHPian

Guys,

I was looking at Yes Bank and it has been on a free fall. ANy particular reason for this apart from RBI measures and them increasing their deposit rates? I there the drop in share price is too much.
Old 1st August 2013, 22:33   #2160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Guys,

I was looking at Yes Bank and it has been on a free fall. ANy particular reason for this apart from RBI measures and them increasing their deposit rates? I there the drop in share price is too much.
Family bickering over who leads the bank

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks