Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2014, 12:45   #2281
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi,

Agree completely with both of you. Its better to shut out the noise from the market and focus on understanding great businesses and invest. It is more stress free and enjoyable.

Have you read Prof Bakshi's latest blog on return per unit of stress? Great read. A "timer"/"trader" might make money but return per unit of stress is high. A "Moat" investor takes much less stress and can get good returns.
Are you from MDI? Prof Bakshi taught at MDI, if my memory serves me right.
I studied under a prof who was/is among the best traders & strategists in India. He systematically demonstrated (live), how he built a case around a ten-bagger over a period of one year. That was the best piece of analysis that I have ever come across.
The tragedy was I never really could grasp him. He wasn't complex, I was just too slow. He still publishes articles on the web, but is now mostly interested in philosophy.
Old 24th March 2014, 13:18   #2282
BHPian

Hi RRSteer,

I wish I could study in professor Bakshi's class, but one can still learn from him through his blog and interviews.

He is writing great stuff even now. The stock analysis of Relaxo footwear, Thomas Cook and other recent articles were top-notch. I have been reading-up his writings and interviews. The return per unit of stress was mentioned in an interview he gave last month.

Hi Octane, drop the "Sir" part, I really don't deserve that. Regarding FT, I normally don't touch stocks mired in such issues. There could be a case of making returns through a contrarian call, but some how do not have gumption to do that. I feel in such cases the Market knows better than me and I should respect that. You never know what comes up next.

Hi JMaruru,

Dish TV looks interesting, Rs 5000 Cr is not too high for a company operating in that business.

Ballarpur Industries, I do not have much idea.

Manappuram, I am not sure about the quality of the management, I think Muthoot is better there. Suggest you have a look at Repco Home Finance and Shriram City Union Finance. Both look solid for a good 5 year investment.[/quote]
Old 24th March 2014, 14:31   #2283
BHPian

Can anyone provide a view on Tata Elxsi? It was going great guns and then suddenly retraced its gains, after the dampener put out by Infosys. I learnt from the co. website that this is its 25th year, so is a split/bonus in the offing?
Old 25th March 2014, 14:36   #2284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi,

Agree completely with both of you. Its better to shut out the noise from the market and focus on understanding great businesses and invest. It is more stress free and enjoyable.

Have you read Prof Bakshi's latest blog on return per unit of stress? Great read. A "timer"/"trader" might make money but return per unit of stress is high. A "Moat" investor takes much less stress and can get good returns.
Well said. I think I am the "moat" investor who is just looking at good stocks to invest. I don't have the capability to do research unless the company is in IT industry.

I am going to invest in some of the stocks you listed above, right-away.

It is true that we cannot predict the political situation. So, why wait?
Old 25th March 2014, 15:05   #2285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I don't have the capability to do research unless the company is in IT industry. So, why wait?
Then within your core competence and location, you can look into 'Persistent Systems' a quality mid-cap IT stock with good growth rate and management.
Old 25th March 2014, 18:21   #2286
BANNED

The pundits say that there may be a correction post election, irrespective of the result.
Old 25th March 2014, 23:17   #2287
BHPian

Hi,

India Nivesh came out with a well written report on Shilpa Medicare yesterday. Its worth reading to understand the business and the multiple growth drivers it has.

http://www.indianivesh.in/Research/V...arch.aspx?id=1

Target price given by them is Rs 544, current price is Rs 360. I think its a good 5 year investment candidate, the only short-medium term risk is INR appreciating way too much.

It would be prudent not to have more than 50% of ones portfolio in export oriented companies, especially the ones who hardly hedge their currency exposure.

Symphony's CMD gave a nice interview to ET yesterday.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/32596583.cms

It was great to see the Chairman's confidence in guiding for a 40% growth in the coming years. Global sales overtaking domestic sales means the com is bullish on their recent international marketing effort yielding results. They are present in over 60 countries now

Cheers

Vindy

Last edited by VindyWheels : 25th March 2014 at 23:23.
Old 25th March 2014, 23:25   #2288
Senior - BHPian

What about Zee Media? I keeps moving between 13.50 to 14 when experts suggested it would move upto 20 with the election season on.
Old 1st April 2014, 01:52   #2289
Senior - BHPian

People, I have two questions:

(1) Has anyone used Zerodha extensively (or know somebody who has) this is a discount brokerage - I'm thinking about shifting to them from HDFCsec, but not sure
(2) If I buy debentures/bonds on NSE via HDFCsec, will the updation of account number etc. happen automatically and will I get the interest directly into my bank account? How does that work with a non-bank broker (e.g. Angel or Motilal Oswal or zerodha)?
Old 1st April 2014, 12:20   #2290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post

(1) Has anyone used Zerodha extensively (or know somebody who has) this is a discount brokerage - I'm thinking about shifting to them from HDFCsec, but not sure
(2) If I buy debentures/bonds on NSE via HDFCsec, will the updation of account number etc. happen automatically and will I get the interest directly into my bank account? How does that work with a non-bank broker (e.g. Angel or Motilal Oswal or zerodha)?
1) There are very good reviews of Zerodha on the internet. But I think Zerodha is ideal for traders, especially those who use futures & options. For long term investors, brokerage costs are insignificant.

2) Whichever broker you choose to buy debentures/bonds, the interest is credited directly to the bank account associated with your brokerage account.
Old 1st April 2014, 13:40   #2291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post

I have an account with Zerodha and also with HDFCSec & Sharekhan. I have been using Zerodha for about 2 years now. Although I am not a trader and in recent times, not even a regular investor, I had shifted to them because I thought others had really high brokerage.

I have had a pleasant and positive experience with them, no problems of any kind. The main difference is that as a HDFCSec customer - you get used to the convenience of a linked bank account wherein your bank account automatically gets credited with sale proceeds and debited/blocked when wanting to buy. Here, you will have to transfer funds before buying (NEFT/Online transfer) and also remember to transfer back to your bank in case of sales.

Otherwise, I am very gung-ho about Zerodha and very happy to recommend them.

Regarding point number 2 - I have also recently been trying to figure out buying debentures/bonds - both on Zerodha and HDFCSec - but haven't really been able to make much headway. Can't figure out how to find out the ISIN numbers, how to get the quote, what the yield is, etc. For example, if you want to buy a listed FMP that was issued in 2011 - how do you go about identifying and buying? If you make any headway - would love to hear from you.
Old 1st April 2014, 14:25   #2292
Distinguished - BHPian

Just curious - Will we see a downward movement as we near the elections? There could be a sense of insecurity with the new government formation right?

I might get cash and want to invest into stocks - after 6 years or so. And would it make sense to split the cash and invest into different stocks - say 50K each for each share?
Old 1st April 2014, 14:39   #2293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Just curious - Will we see a downward movement as we near the elections? There could be a sense of insecurity with the new government formation right?

I might get cash and want to invest into stocks - after 6 years or so. And would it make sense to split the cash and invest into different stocks - say 50K each for each share?
Please do NOT invest unless you see a dip. Market is overheated and everyone is heading in one direction. Warren Buffet's words 'Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful' suit these times. Having said that there are few value buys even now, and one can get into these only when there is a dip.
Old 1st April 2014, 14:51   #2294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Please do NOT invest unless you see a dip. Market is overheated and everyone is heading in one direction. Warren Buffet's words 'Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful' suit these times. Having said that there are few value buys even now, and one can get into these only when there is a dip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The pundits say that there may be a correction post election, irrespective of the result.
Of course there will be.
The current stock market is being driven up solely by foreign money pouring in.
No wonder the INR is becoming more expensive per USD (foreign FI buy Rs and sell Dollars).

There has been absolutely nothing great happening in the manufacturing sector - so the sudden steep rise of the stocks is totally uncalled for.

Also in case Modi does make it to the top slot and gets away with his way of doing things - India won't be able to "shine" for a year or so at least.

My reco would be if you do plan to get in now - track the stock market hour by hour at least (and fix your stop losses) and be very cautious. Don't rest because you just never know when things will start moving down
Old 1st April 2014, 17:46   #2295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Of course there will be.
The current stock market is being driven up solely by foreign money pouring in.
No wonder the INR is becoming more expensive per USD (foreign FI buy Rs and sell Dollars).
Just curious why the foreign investors are putting in money now, in these uncertain times, when nothing else seems to be going fine.
Any thoughts on that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks