76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 12:43   #2611
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Karan, there are multiple ways to make profits from investing in the market. I have respect for all ways. My approach is to focus on finding great businesses run by great people available at a great price. General market sentiments and worries about an impending corrections are noise for me. In this serious "business" of finding great businesses, if you get your act together it should be rewarding in the next 5-10 years irrespective of how many corrections/mood swings Mr Market would have during that time. It could be a big mood swing like Lehman crisis or small mood swings we have been seeing. Having said that, you will find it increasingly difficult to find opportunities when the market is heated-up and will naturally find yourself more in cash at that time.
Thanks for the advice. Im a big fan of your posts and have been reading them on regular basis. The shares im looking to invest are TCS, ITC , ONGC , Maruti and Sun Pharma- all these looks like safe bets . I have been observing your views on PI Industries and Kaveri Seeds and quite impressed with their performance. Any other reliable stock in your view? Thanks in advance.

P.S. All this is for long term. Dont want to touch them for atleast 2 years after investing .
Old 20th October 2014, 13:13   #2612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
TCS, ITC , ONGC , Maruti and Sun Pharma- all these looks like safe .
TCS - you wont lose but they have been over hyping prospects as also HCL. Also Infosys's next avatar might be tight compettion

ITC - will be slow and steady - treat it like a bank offering a slight better return on an FD

Maruti - Their dominant position will remain but margis will be tight since they will stay with small cars and Hyundai and maybe Tata do not give them an easy time

ONGC - Limited upside

SUN Pharma - I do not know much about this segment but pharma is supposed to be up and coming
Old 20th October 2014, 13:23   #2613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
The shares im looking to invest are TCS, ITC , ONGC , Maruti and Sun Pharma- all these looks like safe bets .
Though I am not an expert in stock picking, I think the companies that one picks depends on the objective - long term steady growth or potential multi-baggers with risk.
I think for the former, these are good stocks. Since I am only in this for multi-baggers, I consider these stocks are past their prime.
Mutual funds will likely do better than the above shares, no?

Last edited by S_U_N : 20th October 2014 at 13:26.
Old 20th October 2014, 13:28   #2614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Though I am not an expert in stock picking, I think the companies that one picks depends on the objective - long term steady growth or potential multi-baggers with risk.
I think for the former, these are good stocks. If you are looking at multi-baggers, I think these stocks are past their prime.
Thanks . I totally agree with you. I was looking at blue chip stocks along with some multi baggers. Still hunting for the multi baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Maruti - Their dominant position will remain but margis will be tight since they will stay with small cars and Hyundai and maybe Tata do not give them an easy time
Thanks for your feedback sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
SUN Pharma - I do not know much about this segment but pharma is supposed to be up and coming
Wanted to invest one stock in Pharma segment, not a big fan of Ranbaxy so was thinking of Sun Pharma.
Old 20th October 2014, 14:28   #2615
BANNED

Quote:
Siddutta, once you get a grip on a sound investing process in stocks, there is no retirement. I)

where do you work, VindyWheels ?
Old 20th October 2014, 14:39   #2616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
He posted some info here!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3453059
Old 20th October 2014, 15:53   #2617
BHPian

Sidduta, I don't think its proper to mention the company name here. I'll PM my linkedin ID to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
Old 21st October 2014, 11:44   #2618
BHPian

Those of you invested in coffee stocks, note the following dates for 2Q results:

Tata Coffee: 21st Oct (i.e. Today)
CCL Products: 28th October (Tuesday)
Old 21st October 2014, 17:07   #2619
Senior - BHPian

I have few investment books with me and few I have placed order. Have listed the same in the order I am planning to read

1) Richest man in Babylon - George S. Clason - finished reading
2) From the Rat Race to Financial Freedom - Manoj Arora - finished reading
3) One up on wall street - Peter Lynch - currently reading
4) Thoughtful Investor - Basant Maheshwari (Thanks Vindywheels for suggesting this)
5) The 5 rules for successful stock investing - Pat Dorsey
6) Intelligent Investor - Benjamin Graham
7) Security Analysis - Benjamin Graham

Is this order OK, any suggestions?

Last edited by Latheesh : 21st October 2014 at 17:10.
Old 21st October 2014, 19:26   #2620
BHPian

Hi Latheesh,

Nice list, I haven't read many of these. I rate One up on wall street very highly and of-course thoughtful investor and 5 rules are great.

A suggestion - in early phase of learning, together with reading books, whats more important is applying the same to as many stock ideas as possible. When you read annual rep

Last edited by VindyWheels : 21st October 2014 at 19:30.
Old 22nd October 2014, 16:02   #2621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Latheesh,

A suggestion - in early phase of learning, together with reading books, whats more important is applying the same to as many stock ideas as possible. When you read annual rep
I was looking at the balance sheet of Kaveri Seeds as part of results published in today's business standard. I find that the trade receivables value is very high compared to the sales. Any red flag here?

The balance sheet looks good with respect to long term debt. But the working capital requirements seem to be high.
Old 22nd October 2014, 16:03   #2622
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy any amount of shares on Mahurat Trade tomorrow?
I am trying to understand if there are any restrictions to be aware of (except that 1 hour window timeframe).

Last edited by S_U_N : 22nd October 2014 at 16:05.
Old 22nd October 2014, 16:13   #2623
BHPian

Hi, I had written about Kaveri in my last post, but somehow the post looks truncated now.

I had attended the concall yesterday. The results were great with sales and profits growing well. The future prospects look good too. Next 2-3 years' sales should come from higher realisation and higher penetration in Maharsahtra. Beyond 3 years, high density cotton planting system might drive sales and beyond 5 years paddy should shape up well which is a huge opportunity.

You can ignore the receivables and working cap part. Its seasonal. Delayed monsoon means delayed harvesting and delayed collection. No issues.

But I have a big concern. Promoter stake is currently at 57%. They want to sell enough shares to raise 1000 Cr capital for their new business venture - food processing business. They say seeds are a great business to be in and food processing might take 10 years...but will still end up bringing down their stake in Kaveri to 37% if they do sell off their stake to raise the said amount! I don't understand why they are in a hurry to deploy such a large sum in this new venture. This is a double-edged sword. If a Bayer picks up this 20% stake the stock price might shoot up. We do not know. I have brought down my allocation to 5%...will seek answers from the management if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I was looking at the balance sheet of Kaveri Seeds as part of results published in today's business standard. I find that the trade receivables value is very high compared to the sales. Any red flag here?

The balance sheet looks good with respect to long term debt. But the working capital requirements seem to be high.

Last edited by VindyWheels : 22nd October 2014 at 16:14.
Old 22nd October 2014, 21:23   #2624
Senior - BHPian

Interesting CNBC interview with Rakesh Jhunjhunwala

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/mar...a_1209823.html
Old 22nd October 2014, 22:46   #2625
BHPian

Quote:
Sidduta, I don't think its proper to mention the company name here. I'll PM my linkedin ID to you.
VindyWheels
I too am curious and would like to know.
Can you please PM your linkedin ID?
Thanks and regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks