76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1227. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2014, 20:40   #2731
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
Am fairly bullish on infrastructure (roads, bridges, ports, building) companies, at this point of time. Reasons are
1. Govt's focus on infra is likely to come through in the next few months & years
2. With the current PM and the roads/transport minister - both of whom have excellent credentials for getting things done - orders are likely to flow in for companies
3. NHAI has already announced tender process for nearly Rs 5000 crore of road projects, which will be awarded by March 2015

My top picks are companies with a proven track record of profitability even in bad years, decent managements, low debt on their books & with reasonable valuations.

They are :
1. J Kumar Infra - good, Mumbai-based company - roads, bridges etc in Mum-Pune belt
2. MBL Infra - East based company, solid track record of profitable growth
3. KNR Constructions - Hyd based company, excellent record with execution of road projects

I believe the next 2-3 months leading upto the budget should see these companies appreciating 20-25% while over the next 3-4 years, one should see them appreciating multi-fold.
True. infrastructure is a good bet at this point of time. I believe as the new year starts and after 4th January the Holidays get over, the FII's will pump back truck loads of money into our market which they had taken out during December.

I am very bullish on oil companies too. BPCL is available at an attractive price right now. BHEL too look attractively priced for a short term gain. Not to mention HDFC.

PS: Let me give a disclosure note like analysts at CNBC TV 18 give although I am just an investor.

I am invested in some of the stocks above and would have recommended them to family and friends for their well being. Don't shoot me if things don't work out as I mentioned, I am no JhunJhunwala or Buffet to be right always.
Old 29th December 2014, 11:44   #2732
BHPian

Hi,

Found this interesting article by Bharat Shah. His interviews are great to develop one's investment fundas.

http://www.livemint.com/Money/pbcSoK...harat-Sha.html

Cheers

Vindy
Old 30th December 2014, 13:45   #2733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Another case of sensational journalism.
Anyone making that much money by trading will have to be neck deep in the activity 24 hours a day.
Especially since gold crude and currency markets are on throughout the day.
Hi alpha1,

This indeed is a fake story as already said by a fellow BHPian "ritz3645"

Investor whiz kid is a fake story.
Link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102271434

Also the kid tendered an apology video on YouTube.
Link:
Old 31st December 2014, 10:42   #2734
BHPian

Hello all. My son turned 3 and his piggy bank in which I put his cash gifts since birth got full. I had to break it and it had INR 28k. I want to invest this money in good bluechip stock/stocks. I wont to invest for a veery long term. say 15-20 years. Any particular stock where I can put this money and forget (review once 2-3 years maybe). I expect a minimum return of 15-18% anything more is welcome.
Old 31st December 2014, 15:14   #2735
BHPian

Quote:
They are :
1. J Kumar Infra - good, Mumbai-based company - roads, bridges etc in Mum-Pune belt
2. MBL Infra - East based company, solid track record of profitable growth
3. KNR Constructions - Hyd based company, excellent record with execution of road projects

I believe the next 2-3 months leading upto the budget should see these companies appreciating 20-25% while over the next 3-4 years, one should see them appreciating multi-fold.
Bought all of these about 15 days ago. These are all held by FIIs & good Mutual Funds.

1. JKumar - bought around 425. Now, 510
2. MBL - bought around 375. Now, 410
3. KNR - bought around 300. Now, 330

Hope the run-up continues in the coming months/ years
Old 31st December 2014, 15:19   #2736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Hello all. My son turned 3 and his piggy bank in which I put his cash gifts since birth got full. I had to break it and it had INR 28k. I want to invest this money in good bluechip stock/stocks. I wont to invest for a veery long term. say 15-20 years. Any particular stock where I can put this money and forget (review once 2-3 years maybe). I expect a minimum return of 15-18% anything more is welcome.
If you are ok with some volatility in portfolio, I would recommend Axis Bank for 10-20 year period since the Banking sector always does better than the general index. Else, HDFC Bank.

If you prefer to play safe, FMCG stocks are a good bet - and ITC or Dabur would be my pick.
Old 31st December 2014, 15:43   #2737
BHPian

Quote:
Bought all of these about 15 days ago. These are all held by FIIs & good Mutual Funds.

1. JKumar - bought around 425. Now, 510
2. MBL - bought around 375. Now, 410
3. KNR - bought around 300. Now, 330

Hope the run-up continues in the coming months/ years
What is your take on the above three? For how long do you intend to hold? How much appreciation is realistic?

-Bhargav
Old 1st January 2015, 14:41   #2738
BHPian

These are small-cap stock - not for the faint hearted. They are generally more volatile than the broader market. If the global or local news disappoints, they could correct as well. But they are well-managed companies with a good track record.

At this point of time in the economic cycle, I would be disappointed if they did not appreciate at least twice the broader market appreciates. E.g. if nifty appreciates 15% next year, I would expect at least 30% on these stocks.

In general, though, I would be disappointed to have <100% appreciation in 3 years' time. I plan to hold them for the next 3-4 years at least, unless there is a global crisis or change in Indian Govt.

Another very good stock in this space is NCC (Nagarjuna Const) - currently at about 82 levels - had bought it a year back, much before the general elections, at about 20. Is held by FIIs and domestic funds - and is a good pick - but valuations are rich and I already hold a few. But worth considering.

Last edited by RoadTiger : 1st January 2015 at 14:48.
Old 1st January 2015, 21:20   #2739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Inder,

If you are looking for real long term without much of review, then invest in part of it in mid-cap MF and the rest in large-cap MF and sit back.

BTW: Can you share a picture of the piggy bank which can hold such a big amount of cash?
Old 3rd January 2015, 14:49   #2740
BHPian

Just completed reading another investing related book called “The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing” by Pat Dorsey. The author is the head of Equity Research at Morningstar Inc (a Chicago based Investment Research firm).

The book has some fundamentals on how to analyse financial statements of companies and what ratios to look at. After that, the book goes on to describe stock specific factors (which investors should look at) of various industries like Capital Goods, Health Care, Banks, Software, Media, and Telecom etc. The book also has some simple examples on how to value a company using DCF analysis. It is a 350 page book and will take some time to complete it. Since I work in a similar field, I was able to understand all the concepts easily. I would definitely recommend everyone to go through this book once.

This book is a bit costly at Rs 1.1k-1.3k but worth buying in my opinion. Long-time investors might not find anything new in this book but it is good to go through all the basics.
Old 11th January 2015, 09:31   #2741
BHPian

Making good use of my holidays, I completed another book called "You can be a stock market Genius" by Joel Greenblatt. From the title, you might think that the book will explain concepts which will enable you to pick good stocks and make profits. Unfortunately the book is not about it. Rather, the author focusses on making profits from special situtations like Spin-offs, Restructurings, Mergers, Rights offerings etc. The author gives real life case studies for all these types of special situations and explains then in an easy to understand language (some case studies might be tough to understand though but nothing like rocket science).

I would recommend this book for all those who are already done with reading the basics and want something new to read. But for people who are new to investing, you can skip this book for later reading. I say this because such type of special situations do not occur everyday and beginners would be better off concentrating on plain and simple stock picking.

Last edited by Saanil : 11th January 2015 at 09:32.
Old 12th January 2015, 11:47   #2742
BHPian

Quote:

Okay after a bit of research I have shortlisted ITC and HDFC bank to split my investment. Is it the right choice? and should I wait for a correction or buy right away.Experts plz advice
Old 12th January 2015, 14:53   #2743
BHPian

Quote:
Okay after a bit of research I have shortlisted ITC and HDFC bank to split my investment. Is it the right choice? and should I wait for a correction or buy right away.Experts plz advice
Based on my political reading and not much of stock market acumen, the current government is vehemently against tobacco usage. Taxes for tobacco items were already raised in the last budget and are expected to rise even further. In addition there are going to be curbs on smoking such as raising the smoking age to 25 and ban on pan products (not much impact there for ITC I think).

Considering this is money for your son, I wouldn't be comfortable investing in ITC.

Just as a thought, one company I have always wanted to invest in is L&T.
Old 12th January 2015, 15:16   #2744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
the current government is vehemently against tobacco usage.
Considering this is money for your son, I wouldn't be comfortable investing in ITC.
Not sure home much impact it will have on ITC.

Quote:
Non-cigarette revenue looks up:

Non-cigarette businesses like apparels, hotels, paperboard and agriculture account for nearly 60% of the total revenue of ITC. The company reported gross sales of Rs 10,969 crore for the quarter to June 2014. Cigarettes sales alone raked in Rs 4,200 crore. Other consumer products like apparels, personal care and food products contributed Rs1,935 crore, while the agriculture business pulled in Rs 3,296 crore. Paperboards and stationery accounted for the balance.
https://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/ho...070300669.html
Old 12th January 2015, 16:26   #2745
BHPian

Where can I find a list of stocks in descending order of returns for the last 15 years?

Most Viewed