76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2015, 23:27   #2836
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Folks, what is the view on HCL tech's bonus share announcement.

HCL is going to issue bonus shares on 20 March and if someone buys the shares today, would they get the bonus shares as well?
Pankaj.
Hi.
The record date is 20th so if you buy on 18th, ex bonus date for trading is 19th,
the shares would be credited by 20th and you would be entitled to them.
This date is not the date of issuance of the bonus but the eligibility date.
I personally buy 3 to 4 days before the record date just in case if there is glitch in the delivery and the shares dont get get credited to your account by 20th.
Hope it is clear. At the same time your broker would also be able to guide you.
A caveat. If say you bought through HDFC it will automatically be credited on the settlement date. But if you buy through a broker and he delays crediting then you will have to run after him. Please avoid such a situation
Regards
Old 12th March 2015, 10:34   #2837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Pankaj.
Hi.
The record date is 20th so if you buy on 18th, ex bonus date for trading is 19th,
the shares would be credited by 20th and you would be entitled to them.
This date is not the date of issuance of the bonus but the eligibility date.
I personally buy 3 to 4 days before the record date just in case if there is glitch in the delivery and the shares dont get get credited to your account by 20th.
Hope it is clear. At the same time your broker would also be able to guide you.
A caveat. If say you bought through HDFC it will automatically be credited on the settlement date. But if you buy through a broker and he delays crediting then you will have to run after him. Please avoid such a situation
Regards
Thank you so much for explaining the details on this one. This certainly helps. Being a newbie in share market, I was getting confused on the record date / date of issuance.

After you post , I do recall that it takes a day at minimum for the shares to credit in my demat account, so that explains the delay at my broker part. Now I am better informed to execute the order, few days before the record date to avoid any last minute glitches.

Thank you once again.

Regards
Old 15th March 2015, 15:45   #2838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
You can consider SIP in Franklin India Pension Plan - Direct as recommended by The Hindu Businessline. The added attraction is that this fund is notified under section 80C of IT act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
If you do not know the market, then do not play the market. I was in similar situation and I took the SIP route. And I have got good returns. Invest for at least 5 years in SIP. In other words at least go through one recession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Pgupta - you may want to take a look at mutual funds and SIPs rather than stocks if you're low risk. While some stocks are lower risk than others, building a retirement corpus with stocks is not advisable as it is connected to the market sentiment and financial environment. As for low risk stocks, energy and defence industry stocks connected to the government funding would be some. Again, risk is a perception and what I cons wide as risk may not be the same for you.
Thanks Mad Max, download2live and J.Ravi sir.

Is it a good time to invest in debt mutual fund compared to equity based funds ? Just trying to be cautious in a all time high market as I think debt funds are less affected by the stock market volatility when compared to equity funds. Would love to hear thoughts from the Gurus !
Old 15th March 2015, 19:56   #2839
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
Is it a good time to invest in debt mutual fund compared to equity based funds ?
After investing full in the Section 80C instruments, you can park some funds in debt mutual funds as a back-up; but, the returns will be commensurate with the RBI-approved interest rates, which are going down as of now.

Old 15th March 2015, 20:44   #2840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
After investing full in the Section 80C instruments, you can park some funds in debt mutual funds as a back-up; but, the returns will be commensurate with the RBI-approved interest rates, which are going down as of now.
J.Ravi
Hi.
Please correct me if I am wrong or have misconstrued your post. Total newbie to debt funds. For myself have always invested directly in equities.
If the yields go down the bond prices go up and vice versa.
As far as I have understood is that you get better returns if the bond prices go up. So if RBI reduces rates you will get better returns.
Caveat in 2014/2015 budget the FM tweaked the taxes which will reduce our post tax returns.
Will appreciate comments
Thanks and regds
Old 15th March 2015, 20:54   #2841
J.Ravi

Quote:
So if RBI reduces rates you will get better returns.
The debt mutual funds also invest in company fixed deposits. In that context, I mentioned that the returns are commensurate with the RBI-approved interest rates from time to time. Since the risk is less, the returns will also be less in debt funds.

Old 17th March 2015, 18:22   #2842
BHPian

If i may ask the experts. When do you think this bull run will end and markets will consolidate ? Or are these the years when the sensex shoots for 40k
Old 17th March 2015, 19:05   #2843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
J.Ravi
Hi.
Please correct me if I am wrong or have misconstrued your post. Total newbie to debt funds. For myself have always invested directly in equities.
If the yields go down the bond prices go up and vice versa.
As far as I have understood is that you get better returns if the bond prices go up. So if RBI reduces rates you will get better returns.
Caveat in 2014/2015 budget the FM tweaked the taxes which will reduce our post tax returns.
Will appreciate comments
Thanks and regds
This is my understanding as well.
However, after the government changed the policy last year, I am not touching debt funds anymore.
You need to be invested for 3 years to avoid getting short term capital gains. This is really bad, even for existing investors .
Old 17th March 2015, 19:07   #2844
BHPian

Does anyone here advice me on www.arunthestockguru.com?

I found his stock tips, fundamental analysis tempting and sort of proven.
Old 18th March 2015, 09:48   #2845
Senior - BHPian

The markets may correct ten percent soon

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/46603591.cms
Old 18th March 2015, 11:13   #2846
Senior - BHPian

The actual "correction" (actually find this term pretty amusing) will start with US Fed announcing increase in interest rates and the Euro bank stops the buying of distressed private assets (QE) till then everything is just guess work.

The FIIs have poured in the easily available US QE money into India. They will pull out only when it makes more sense to park money in the US. Same goes on for what is happening in Europe.

Last edited by alpha1 : 18th March 2015 at 11:20.
Old 19th March 2015, 17:41   #2847
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Does anyone here have any material on understanding the banking industry? I am not looking for research reports on the industry but a banking 101 document which can make me understand how banks function, give loans, price them etc. I am trying to analyze the banking sector hence looking for such materials. I know the terminology used in this sector like margins/NPL etc. I am looking for something which goes deeper.

Would appreciate any help here!
Old 21st March 2015, 16:08   #2848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Does anyone here have any material on understanding the banking industry? I am not looking for research reports on the industry but a banking 101 document which can make me understand how banks function, give loans, price them etc. I am trying to analyze the banking sector hence looking for such materials. I know the terminology used in this sector like margins/NPL etc. I am looking for something which goes deeper.
http://www.amazon.in/Management-MacD...dp/8131502775/

It was the prescribed textbook for an elective I had taken at b-school. Very well written, but assumes a level of understanding with finance concepts. You say you need a Banking 101 book but then also say "something which goes deeper", so not sure if this is what you're looking for - please do your due diligence.
Old 21st March 2015, 16:16   #2849
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

Would appreciate any help here!
I'd recommend that you read the annual report (especially the management discussion & analysis part) of a couple of banks (SBI, HDFC Bank etc) to get a grip on the banking sector.
Old 22nd March 2015, 15:32   #2850
BHPian

Re: Pharma companies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I'd recommend that you read the annual report (especially the management discussion & analysis part) of a couple of banks (SBI, HDFC Bank etc) to get a grip on the banking sector.
Would the same hold good for pharma stocks. What with pharma stocks on fire, am missing out of action there.

I have invested in few pharma funds, but would like to dip my feet into the stocks. Could you recommend any good books/material which provides a understanding about pharma companies n their business models.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks