51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2015, 20:32   #3016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

I agree with you with a caveat. To give you one example, I invested in Satyam after it crashed because I believed the company had intrinsic value that did not erode despite the scandal. Only thing is it took me a long time (3-5 years) to make any money out of it. In the meantime, I tore my hair in frustration.

MOIL too has value, but when would the market recognize it is open to conjecture. Anyway my 2 cents, since I have been generally unlucky in timing the market.

I wrote the previous mail to Saanil primarily to explain where manganese stands in the supply chain.
But the payout for your patience was huuuuuuuge

Thanks for your comments.
Old 21st August 2015, 11:13   #3017
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Hi,

Like I had mentioned before, I am finding it hard to come to terms as to why they had thought of selling a large stake if the future looked bright. But that's not a corporate governance issue. May be growth will not be much going ahead as they got saturated in AP and making headways in Maharashtra might be more difficult that I thought.

The current stock price decline is due to the weak quarterly results. They have also done some aggressive accounting by not including the full royalty payment to Monsanto. Latheesh has mentioned those points above. This season has been quite bad for them. We need to evaluate the performance of their seeds this season and see if they can regain in next summer. I would not buy now. It's a 50:50 scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I see that you are following Kaveri. Any idea why the stock is correcting so much - corporate governance or just a bad quarter? Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 10:11   #3018
Distinguished - BHPian

What's with Bharati Airtel stock. Dropping to lows
Old 22nd August 2015, 10:18   #3019
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
What's with Bharati Airtel stock. Dropping to lows
In this highly volatile scenario all bets are off. We have dropped only <1% yesterday, while the US and Europe have crashed over 3%.
Old 22nd August 2015, 10:56   #3020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi,

Latheesh has mentioned those points above. This season has been quite bad for them. We need to evaluate the performance of their seeds this season and see if they can regain in next summer. I would not buy now. It's a 50:50 scenario.
@VindyWheels - Have been wanting to ask you about Kitex - There has been so many discussions on Valupickr about the 100cr in the bank. The conviction hasn't evaporated instead my conviction has infact got stronger after reading more articles on Kitex

Just thought will check with you on Kitex and what is your take and what do you think about the situation. Disc : I am long on Kitex and keen to add more positions

And what is your recommendation on Page - Wait for correction or continue to add at every dip

Thanks and Regards

-Sateesh
Old 24th August 2015, 14:57   #3021
Senior - BHPian

Its blood bath on the D street today. Sensex falling by 1500 points, Nifty around 500 points. None of the sectors are spared from todays downfall. I am even afraid to look at my portfolio both stocks + mutual funds. It looks like a domino effect with markets all across the globe bleeding, reminds me of the 2008 fall. Is this the opportunity to pick some value stocks esp from banking sector or there is more bloodshed yet in the coming days. I am particularly interested in the likes of ONGC, Kotak Mahindra, ICICI bank etc

Oil falls below $40 mark, rupee weaker at Rs 66.6. The main reason for this huge decline is China's week currency + its economy. When is the Indian market going to be insulated from the global melt down?

Last edited by ghodlur : 24th August 2015 at 15:00.
Old 24th August 2015, 14:59   #3022
Distinguished - BHPian

Another day or two will bring in longer term direction. Some good pickings likely then.
Old 24th August 2015, 15:26   #3023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The main reason for this huge decline is China's week currency + its economy. When is the Indian market going to be insulated from the global melt down?
Maybe it is the Foreign investors pulling their money that is causing this domino effect? I read on BBC that since China's growth is slowing, investors might look to India to drive growth in the region. So that maybe a silver lining in this admittedly bleak situation.
Old 24th August 2015, 15:35   #3024
Senior - BHPian

Markets down almost 6% in one day and my portfolio value is red in 6 digits !. However I am happy to see a much awaited correction, even though this has nothing to do with the situation in India. FIIs are treating India similar to China and pulling out in big chunks. Best of luck to them, not sure where they will go with the money now unless they have started buying property in Mars. In any case, I hope that we will get another opportunity to invest again in some great stocks soon.

Last edited by vasoo : 24th August 2015 at 15:39.
Old 24th August 2015, 15:45   #3025
BHPian

Sensex falls 1700 pts, this might be the biggest fall in a day. What was the highest one day fall during 2008 recession?

But people seem to be hopeful this time. Hope our markets recover soon. I am scared to open my account and see the present valuations. Any advise on stocks to pick up at the moment?
Old 24th August 2015, 16:44   #3026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
What was the highest one day fall during 2008 recession?
It was 1408 points on Jan 21, 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Mods please delete. Wrong message posted.
IOC was oversubscribed 57% till 1pm after which the blood bath got really bloody on the streets. Retail investors stayed away.
Old 24th August 2015, 17:05   #3027
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Just now, placed my bids for 300 shares of Power Finance Corporation at ₹ 254 under OFS.
Thankfully, I didn't get the allotment. Today, I bought the same scrip 100 @ 194.

Old 24th August 2015, 17:24   #3028
BHPian

Today was a very bad day for everyone! Even I think this was a much needed correction. Amongst EM countries, India seems to be best placed but I wonder where people are going if they are exiting India.

It will be interesting to see what the markets does tomorrow! I will be closely monitoring the Metal & Mining sector as highlighted in my post on the previous page.
Old 24th August 2015, 23:49   #3029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Today was a very bad day for everyone! Even I think this was a much needed correction. Amongst EM countries, India seems to be best placed but I wonder where people are going if they are exiting India.

It will be interesting to see what the markets does tomorrow! I will be closely monitoring the Metal & Mining sector as highlighted in my post on the previous page.
Markets are incredibly difficult to predict in the short-term. Still will stick out my neck and predict a fairly high probability of markets not breaching 7500. I would even go as far to say that 7800 is a very strong support level, technically - and it global markets stabilize, it may not be breached in a hurry.

Discount sale is on currently - may not be bad idea to deploy part of investible money ! Cheers
Old 25th August 2015, 00:38   #3030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
.... What was the highest one day fall during 2008 recession?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
It was 1408 points on Jan 21, 2008...
But if we look at %, the fall was much sharper - 10% down and the trading was halted. Today was just 5.5% comparatively.

The 2008 episode still send shivers down my spine and I bled really bad. This time, however, all I see is opportunities. Even, my current portfolio, is not bad (though its not a handsome amount).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th August 2015 at 00:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks